Parent and Kid Reviews on

The Field Guide to the North American Teenager Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 4 parent reviews

Sort by:

Mature themes not appropriate for middle school

This was assigned to my 8th grade son and seems inappropriate. Discussion of blow jobs, underage drinking, dozens of f—k, ass, sh— and so on. Every high school trope imaginable. The book was fine but too juvenile for high school readers character and plot development wise and too mature for middle school because of language, fun alcohol scenes and graphic sexual conversations.

1 person found this helpful.

Juvenile readers deserve better reading materia than thisl!

Inappropriate material for juvenile readers! Nothing this book has to offer is worth subjecting a teen/preteen reader to. No need to desensitize them to bad, harmful choices and poor decision making. Life is too short and precious to waste on this book.

Too much swearing - very dissappointing

My son stopped reading it after a few "F" words.

Gave this to my 12 year old to read because of the humorous and witty character. He got a few chapters in and showed me all the swearing and we decided to stop reading it. He’s an advanced reader so can handle to content, but we’re not happy about all the dirty language going into his head. They hear it enough everywhere else. Content and story line are good though, so I will give it back to him an a couple of years for an easy read.