All teen and kid member reviews for The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman

Kid, 10 years old March 8, 2012

Great!

This is a really good book. If you love scrabble or word games, this is the perfect book for you! The chapters switch around with who the point of view is but it is not confusing.

The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman

The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman by Meg Wolitzer is a great realistic fiction book. It describes the life of a middle school boy named Duncan Dorfman trying to win the Youth Scrabble Tournament (YST) in Yakamee FL. In the book, Duncan moves from Portland, Michigan to Drilling Falls, Pennsylvania. There, the other kids call him mean names such as "lunch meat," until he shows off his secret "power." After that, a kid named Carl Slater invites Duncan to go to the YST because of his power. At the YST, Duncan meets many new friends. He meets a girl name April and her partner Lucy, and a boy named Nate and his parter Maxi. The book starts out slow, but then builds up suspense. When you think the book has ended, nope there is more. The ending makes you wish there was a sequel. The theme of this story is, an ordinary looking person might not be so ordinary. When Duncan gets to his new school, everyone thinks he just a typical person. But when he shows off his "power," people look at him differently. Read to find out more about what happens to Duncan.
Kid, 12 years old May 19, 2016

The Fingertips Of Duncan Dorfman

The story “The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman” a realistic fiction story,By:Meg Woitzer, Is a about a boy named Duncan Dorfman,and he had moved from Michigan to Pennsylivania .He went to a new school called Drilling Falls Middle School.Ever since Duncan was a little boy he had, had a special power.One day he showed one boy his powers then a whole group gatherd around . In the group there was a boy named Carl and he asked Duncan if he wanted to be his scrabble partner, for the scrabble tournament.Duncan wasn't sure if he wanted to join but be was convinced, he said "yes". My favorite part of “The Fingertips Of Duncan Dorfman” is the ending,it was surprising, because that was when Duncan finds out who his dad was. I think the message the author is trying to tell us is that,don't be bossed around by people. I think this this theme fits, because Duncan’s scrabble partner was pushing him to cheat.

The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman

The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman, by Meg Wolitzer is a pretty funny book. It's a realistic fiction book. It is also a great book for Scrabble players and I'm sure you will like it. The book is about a kid that figures out he loves playing Scrabble. When he hears about the Youth Scrabble Tournament, he signs up right away. Will he win the tournament? Will he win the $10,000? Will he even find a partner? Find out in the book. What I like about the book is it is intense and hilarious. The character shows courage by getting on the stage and playing no matter what everyone thought of him. It is intersecting by how much is going on with lots of action. There are not many boring parts during the book. The theme is, don't be scared of doing what you like and, believe in yourself, and work hard at all your goals in life. You should always be brave in order to get farther in life.

The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman Review

The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman, written by Meg Wolitzer and genre realistic fiction, is a very awesome book. It’s about a boy named Duncan Dorfman. He moves from Portland, MI to Drilling Falls, PA because his mom lost her job and they move to his great Aunt Djawana’s house. Duncan transfers to a new school, but has a hard time fitting in. Duncan has a power that can help him in Scrabble so his friend, Andrew Tanizaki, encourages Duncan to enter the Youth Scrabble Tournament (YST). Some events that happened in The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman were when Duncan and his friends watch him ride Nate Saviano’s skateboard for the first time down a steep hill but flew off of it and got hurt, Duncan was called lunch meat because one kid threw a piece of meat on Duncan, April Blunt meets a boy at a motel and teaches him how to play Scrabble with him but never saw him again so her and her friend, Lucy Woolery, search for him, and Nate gets home schooled so he is able to play Scrabble 24/7 so he can impress his father at the YST. I think the book started a little boring but in the middle and end, there comes a lot of action, surprise, suspense, and question and the ending answers a lot. The message to the story is try new things, it could make you successful. An event to prove this message os when Duncan enters the YST because his friends believe in him and believe he can win. Does he win the YST? Read the book to find out!

The fingertips of Duncan Dorfman

In the Fingertips Of Duncan Dorfman. A boy named Duncan goes to the Youth Scrabble Tournament for a chance to win $10,000. The reason i like this book is because it has a lot of twists expessialy at the end but i wont tell you about that. I think this book is funny and mysterious because of what happens at the end. I think the theme of Duncan Dorfman is friendship is worth more than anything because when his new friends loose the tournament he feels bad because he used a special power to win. There are many different people in this story like his friends that he made, Maxi, Nate, Carol, and Andrew. There are many different parts of the story but one that was interesting was when maxi whent looking for duncan because they meet at a pool before and she taught him how to play scrabble.
Teen, 13 years old Written by2022webbjm May 18, 2016

Duncan dorfman

duncan dorfman by meg walzer is a grate book

The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman

The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman is a great book. It takes you on a journey to the Youth Scrabble Tournament where six kids become friends. Nate Saviano is a rich kid whose dad's dream is for him to win the YST. Maxie is his best friend. April and her best friend, Lucy, are looking for a mystery boy April met years before. She comes from a family of jocks and wants to prove that Scrabble is a sport. Finally, Duncan Dorfman is a Scrabble player trying to win money for his mom, and his partner is snobby Carl, who teases him, and is only Duncan's partner so they can use his "special power". This fictional story by Meg Wolitzer is a fun-filled adventure. Keep reading for the trap-in at Fun Swamp, the intense Scrabble games, and Duncan's first time on a skateboard! There are many things I like about this book. It has an interesting beginning, where you meet all the characters, has many adventures, has humor which makes it more fun to read, and has many surprises along the way. I think the theme of this story is friendship. Friendship plays a big part in this story. Many kids become friends and learn what it is to be a friend. What is Duncan's special power, and who wins the YST? Read to find out!

The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman- book review

This is a book review on the book The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman by Meg Walitzer. I believe the genre of this book is realistic fiction. This book is about a boy in 6th grade who had just moved across the country to Drilling Falls, PA, to live with his great aunt. In this new town Duncan only has his mom to trust. When Duncan discovers a secret power of his, his mom tells him to keep it a secret. Duncan disobeys her and shows the kids at school so that he can fit in and stop being called names. One kid, named Carl, tells Duncan he has to play Scrabble with him. Carl teaches Duncan how to play, and with the money Duncan earned from a cigarette ad Duncan and Carl go to the Youth Scrabble Tournament ( YST ). There they make a ton of friends. There are many adventures in this book including a run away skateboard, friendship losses, and being trapped inside an amusement park ride. Will Duncan win the YST? Will he use his power? Will his mom find out the cigarette ad? Read to find out! I like that in this book there is always an adventure- problem that Duncan has to solve. I think that this book was really good and adventurous. I think the theme to this book is: at the end things will start to piece together. I think this because of how the prize money was shared equally, the winner of the YST, and how Duncan learns the truth about his dad.

The Fingertips of Duncan Dorman Review

Today, I am writing about THE FINGERTIPS OF DUNCAN DORFMAN, by Meg Wolitzer. It is a realistic fiction book that follows three main charcters on their journey to the Youth Scrabble Tournament. (YST) This book is very exiting and has lots of drama. It keeps you on the edge of your seat. Each characters has their own personal struggles with the loss of his father. April Blunt lives in the midst of a family of jocks. Her family doesn't realize the Scrabble is a sport. Also, she remembers meeting a boy but knows nothing about him. Nate Saviano's dad took him out of school and forced him to master Scrabble so he could win the YST. THE FINGERTIPS OF DUNCAN DORFMAN definitely starts in an interesting way. It is filled to the brim with suspense, and the ending is definitely a surprise. I think this book is about trying new things because multiple characters tried Scrabble and it took them on a grand adventure! Overall I think it's a great book.

The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman

The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman by Meg Wolitzer is a book told about three kid's: Duncan, April, and Nate. These kids all have one thing in common, Scrabble. The kids go to the Youth Scrabble Tournament, all for different reasons. Meanwhile, the kids become friends, and discover secrets and learn new things about each other. In the beginning of the book I thought it was really boring, but by the end of the book I was totally caught up. I still think that the author could have written a few more end surprises. But, when Duncan's partner ,Carl, tells Duncan to do something bad at the tournament, I was all like, "Oh my gosh is he going to get caught?" But, you'll have to read to find out. I like how the author makes surprises, and twists and turns. Also, I like how she adds additional characters such as Andrew Tanizaki, a close friend from school, and other Scrabble players. I think the message in the book is, "You never achieve your dream by just sleeping, you need to combine dreaming with doing" I think this because they have all have a goal/dream to achieve, and to achieve it, they must go to the YST, they all said, "Go for the goal!" and they went for it. Will they achieve their dream? Read the book to find out!

The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman

The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman by Meg Wolitzer is a realistic fiction fun book book about Scrabble and more. It is mostly about Scrabble because they are either practicing Scrabble or at the Youth Scrabble Tournament YST). The book is about six kids going to theYST, but let's just focus on the main characte,r Duncan Dorfman. He just moved to Drilling Falls, PA. He has a special power that his school ''friend'' Carl Slater takes advantage of. Carl only takes him to the YST because of his power, read to find out what it is. I like this book because it has different points of views and it is so great you don't want to stop reading. The ending is a surprise! The books theme or message is to just be yourself because Carl was begging him to use his power but he didn't want too.

The Fingertips Of Duncan Dorfman

The Fingertips Of Duncan Dorfman by Meg Wolitzer is a fun packed book that you wouldn't want to put down. The book is about three kids and their partners who are in the Youth Scrabble Tournament, but at the same time twisting their personal lives into it too. If you like realistic fiction this is the right pick for you. This book tells the story of Duncan Dorfman, a kid with a special power, and how he is in the YST (Youth Scrabble Tournament). duncan lives with his mother and great aunt because his mother lost her job, and his father died. The book also tells the story of the friends he meets and their lives. In the book Duncan woks with a boy named Carl, who is his partner, to try to win the tournament, but Carl uses him just for his power. Some of the friends Duncan meets during the tournament are Nate, who is just playing to make his dad happy, April, who is trying to prove Scrabble is a sport, and Andrew a friend from school. After the first day of the tournament every-one went to Fun Swamp, and lets just say an accident happened. The next day everyone was trying to win the 10,000 dollar reward. After the tournament was over tournament was over a huge twist happened that changed the whole coarse of the story. I like the book because it starts out slow but quickly became interesting. This book has many ups and downs that makes you want to keep reading. Duncan is part of the reason the story is so good. He shows strength and courage throughout the book. The best part of this book is the ending, it will blow your mind, and making you wish there was a sequel. The theme of the story is You Don't Have to Win To Be A Winner. The reason I think this is because even the kids who didn't win were still happy for each other.

The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman

The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman by Meg Wolitzer is a realistic fiction book about a few kids who like playing Scrabble, and some that are just playing for a reason. They all ended up at the Youth Scrabble Tournament. Along the way new friends are made, questions are answered, and both players and readers were surprised. The YST was something those kids wanted/needed to win. They all had different goals. The winner also received a prize of $10,000. My favorite moments of the book are when Duncan had found out a long told lie, and when YST kids played a really good word. In the end I promise you will be very surprised at the outcome. I believe the theme was, "You don't need to win to be a winner." I chose this theme because even the kids who didn't win were still happy and many still achieved their goals.
Kid, 12 years old May 18, 2016

The Fingertips Of Duncan Dorfman Review (By Meg Wolitzer)

I really liked the book, The Fingertips Of Duncan Dorfman. In the story a boy named Duncan Dorfman has a special power. He entered the Youth Scrabble Tournament(YST) to try and win money for his mother. Duncan never really knew his father because he died of a rare disease called panosis. Duncan's Scrabble partner, Carl Slater only picked Duncan as a partner because of his special power. The genre of this book is realistic fiction. In the book I loved how the author described true facts about the YST. I think the theme of this story is about friendship because six kids meet at the Scrabble tournament and all become friends. Read more to find out!

The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman

The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman is by Meg Wolitzer. The genre of this book is realistic fiction because the Scrabble part of the book is true but Duncan is a fictional character because of his power and it is a story. In the story there are three main characters, Duncan, April, and Nate. The three characters and their partners met at the Youth Scrabble Tournament(YST). Duncan has a magic power that could help him play and/or win Scrabble games. Nate is home schooled and trying to meet his dad’s expectations for Scrabble. April is trying to find the the mystery boy she met a few years ago at a motel pool. April is also trying to prove to her parents that Scrabble is a sport. In my opinion I think that the book has a lot of suspense to it, I really wanted to know if April ever finds the boy she was looking for and if she ever proves to her parents that Scrabble is a sport. I also wonder if Nate will ever go back to public schools. Lastly I wondered if Duncan will win a Scrabble game using his power. The main character shows courage and strength because Duncan doesn’t give up on trying to get money for his mom and him. The ending is a surprise. When we got to the end of the book I was so shocked to find out who Duncan’s dad was! The theme of the story is don’t give up even if you think you’re going to fail. Duncan never gave up trying to get money for his mom and Nate didn’t give up on his dad with scrabble even though he wanted to. April didn’t give up with trying to find the boy she met at the motel pool a few years ago even though she didn’t know his name.

The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman

The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman by Meg Wolitzer is a great realistic fiction book about a boy named Duncan and his new friends at the Youth Scrabble Tournament. The book is about a boy named Duncan Dorfman who is an average kid, except for the fact he has a so called “power”. His “power” gets him and another kid from the Drilling Falls Scrabble Team from Pennsylvania a seat at the Youth Scrabble Tournament in Florida. There, he meets April Blunt, a great Scrabble player, and her partner Lucy. April’s family who are total jocks, but April isn't. Duncan and April also befriend a skateboarder from New York, Nate Saviano, and his partner, but Nate doesn't want to be there. His father is obsessed with Scrabble, and makes Nate go. The players play, and eventually, everyone finds solutions to the problems they have. I enjoyed reading The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman. The book includes many (true) facts about Scrabble. The different characters all have different problems, and Meg Wolitzer did a wonderful job of creating a solution for each and everyone, even if not in the expected way. The message that Meg Wolitzer was trying to get across in The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman is that if you do good things, good things will come back to you. The “power” Duncan has, is supposed to help him, but he won't use it unless it is necessary, and he definitely gets rewarded. I definitely recommend The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman. It is a great book.

The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman Book Review

The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman by Meg Wolitzer is a fictional story about a boy who discovers he has a power. Because of his power, he attends the Youth Scrabble Tournament (YST) with another boy named Carl Slater.There are also two other characters named Nate Saviano and April Blunt.Nate was forced by his dad to play Scrabble. April lives in a family of jocks yet she doesn’t fit in and she just wants to play Scrabble. During the story, Duncan does not want to use his powers for winning at the YST even though his partner wants him to. April does great throughout the story wins many games.Nate also does great but he does not enjoy it. I like how the book is interesting and exciting but also very factual. Everything they say about Scrabble and the YST is true. I think the theme the author is sharing is don’t cheat and do your best. I say that because Duncan was being pushed by his partner to cheat in the YST but he did great without cheating.
Kid, 12 years old May 13, 2016

The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman

My thoughts about the book Duncan Dorfman was it alright. I thought Meg Wolitzer did a great job by having the the Scrabble Tournament in Yamakee, Florida come up early in the book, and all the juicy secrets come out at the end of the book. For anyone who likes the genre of realistic fiction will definitely like this book! Duncan Dorfman is a boy who has the power to read things with his fingertips on his left hand while he has his eyes closed! He moved in with his aunt from Michigan to Drilling Falls Pennsylvania, and is kind of poor. He meets this boy named Carl and he sees his power and realizes he needs to take him to a Scrabble Tournament in Florida, and the grand prize is $10,000! He goes to the tournament with Carl, and meets great new friends who are nice. In the end truths come out about all characters, and some are not so nice. I liked how the story the story started by having his secret power come out. As the story goes on Duncan shows courage, kindness, and his Scrabble skills at the tournament. I liked how the ending was because it showed good secrets which was interesting. The theme to the book Duncan Dorfman is to follow your gut because throughout the entire story things come, and Duncan and his friends had to choose.
Kid, 12 years old May 13, 2016

The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman

The book THE FINGERTIPS OF DUNCAN DORFMAN by Meg Wolitzer is a realistic fiction novel about a boy who lost his father to panosis, had to move in with his aunt, and go to a new school all at the same time. Duncan is not an ordinary boy. Duncan is poor so he has to move in with his aunt, be careful about what he says around his mom, and be the new kid at an unforgiving school. I like how this book keeps you on the edge of your seat waiting in anticipation to see what will happen next. This book has a lot of Scrabble in it, so if you like Scrabble, this book is for you. I never had a passion or yearning for Scrabble, but I truly loved this book. The book starts off slowly, and gets better the further you go. There are parts where one chapter will be full of action, and then it will leave you in suspense at the end, so you read the next chapter. The main character is very courageous going into a new school, and is very strong from being bullied and still coming back. The ending was the best part, it answers all of the questions that pop up in the beginning and throughout the story. I suggest writing down your questions, and checking them off when they are answered. I believe that the theme for this passage is, do not be afraid to be yourself, and be persistent. Some evidence for do not be afraid to be yourself, he shows people his power, and for be persistent, Duncan continues to ask his mom about his dad while he knows it hurts his mom to talk about.