All parent member reviews for The Handmaid's Tale

Educator Written byMGuillet June 28, 2014

One of the most important dystopian novels ever written

Let me begin by stating that I would not recommend this novel for younger adolescents, due to the rather blunt treatment of sex and violence in its dystopian setting. Parents should, of course, use their discretion. If in doubt, please read it first, and determine for yourselves the age you feel is appropriate. With that clarified, I am confident that most parents and teachers would agree that Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale" is an extraordinary work of fiction. In summary, the novel tells of a near-future dystopian America, in which a militaristic dictatorship, with a distinctly Christian flavor, has seized control. Under this new regime, a harsh return to old values has meant that women no longer have access to any kind of financial or sexual autonomy, and that their primary (nearly sole) societal value rests in their ability to give birth. The main character, through her first-person chronicle, reveals ever more details of this society's structure, and how it came to be, as the story moves forward. Atwood's societal insights are very astute, and frightening, making it in my judgment a must-read for older aldolescents, and, of course, for adults who have not discovered it yet.
Parent of a 16 and 18 year old Written byDetermined in AZ December 6, 2013

Stay away from this one

Their are some episodes of sex which is described in detail and bad language. I could not find any redeeming value and it was not a satisfying ending. I would stay away from this one for my teen and yourself. It's not worth the time.