All teen and kid member reviews for The Host

Kid, 12 years old July 13, 2012

Great book but kind of iffy

I am 12 and I say that 12 and up should read this. Its a little iffy. On one part of the book I seriously thought about stopping. I showed my mom and she said I could read it but if it was too much then to stop. Its also a little violent. The only reason I read this was because my friend wanted me to read it. I wasnt exactly very fond of the twilight series but I decided to give this a try. There wasnt anything too bad though. Overall its a good book and stephanie meyer did an excellent job.
Kid, 12 years old November 12, 2012

The Host (read it!)

I thought it was very good. But it was kinda confusing in the middle. Nothing like Twilight. But amazing on its own.
Kid, 12 years old July 18, 2012

Confusing Beginning

I think the book was really good but it was confusing in the beginning. Also like some of the twilight saga books, it got a little boring in the middle... but other than that I loved it!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byreadqueen August 1, 2013

the host book

This book was absolutely amazing, and i flew through it, but there was one thing that i was not happy with. The romance. There was way to much of it. I know that common sense says a few passionate kisses, but it was way more than a "few." Also when they were not kissing Melanie/Wanda, was always thinking about Jared or Ian. Over all I loved this book, but I would of liked to see a little less romance.
Kid, 12 years old May 12, 2013

Really slow. . . but pretty good.

It was a really slow read!! I was stuck with it for a month and a half before I finished it. The first half was pretty slow, but the ending was very riveting. It was also a unique read, with a crazy take on aliens.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymrose13 April 11, 2013

Great book, read bottom of review for warnings

I was completely bored during the Twilight series, but Stephenie Meyer really pulled through on this one. I'm proud of her for writing an intriguing story with a deep plot that actually captures your attention. The Host honestly never once bored me. My friend had read it first, and had told me that the beginning was slow moving, but I have to disagree. It IS a tad bit confusing with the connection between Melanie and Wanda, but as the book goes on, the souls' job is explained more. I rated this for violence because of the amount of sickness/blood in the book, including a few self-harming incidents (they were carried out so that essential supplies could be retrieved-this will make sense once you read the book). The swearing was mild- a few uses of d**m and h*ll. Drinking and alcohol use was mild- though once Doc got drunk, which was only mentioned, not described. Alcohol was used to relieve pain for a cancer patient when medications were not available. The sexual content was a little high, though it was mostly just passionate kissing, and it didn't happen too often. The descriptions of it were what made me rate this for sexual content- they were VERY detailed and may disturb younger readers. I would say that this book is okay for mature 12 year olds and up, DEFINITELY not anything younger. Overall, awesome book, one of my favorites.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGoldie111 May 19, 2013

Great Book

Great book a bit boring at the beginning but still really good.
Teen, 17 years old Written byArtichokes-United May 12, 2013

Meh...

There is nothing really obscene about this book, besides the fact that it is so poorly written. Although I didn't hate the book, it definitely wasn't that enjoyable, and I'm not quite sure how it even warrented a movie. While the premise is interesting enough, this book was no stellar breakthrough in sci-fi. The characters fall flat and the story was muddled with awkward plot holes and contivances. It was a pretty easy read but I probably won't ever feel the urge to reread it. Despite having the potential to be a solid stand-alone book, overall, The Host was bland and full of paper thin characters. Say what you will about Twilight, but at least that wasn't forgettable.
Teen, 13 years old Written byinfinite-hope April 12, 2013

Intriguing characters, unique plot!

Incredible book, completely different from Meyer's worldwide-known series, the Twilight Saga. This book is intended for young adults but I personally think teens would enjoy it much more. The sexual content is very mild, and there is violence, though it's not that bad. I definitely recommend this book; it's so unique! The characters; some insanely bizarre, some genuinely kind, it's amazing to read about all these intriguing characters living and protecting each other.
Teen, 15 years old Written bystargirl132 March 1, 2013

Great!

Real captivating, not twillight at all and should appeal to guys as well.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRoseRuby February 16, 2013

An inspiring book

I loved this book. I thought it was the perfect blend of action and romance. There was violence, but not to the point of being inappropriate. There was also kissing, but the farthest it went was to describe on make out session and a couple hints about sex. I recommend this book to any one who is 12 and up.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTJ101 October 9, 2014
This is a very amazingly written book! It does have some sexual action (which I recommend for teens) and it also has violence but overall it's suitable for 13+!
Teen, 15 years old Written bycrael351 February 10, 2014

Best Book by Meyer

Meyer really outdid herself when she wrote this book! I have read it over five times and I cannot get enough. It is very well written, and while there are some romantic scenes, it is not too racy for 14+ yr. old teens. A lot can be taken from the way Wanda is gentle and kind to all, even though not every one is nice to her. Overall, I would suggest this book to anyone looking for a wonderful sci-fi/romance.
Teen, 15 years old Written byPride and Prejudice April 13, 2013

Read This Book!

I loved this book! In my opinion it's better than the Twilight Saga. The movie isn't very good though, so I wouldn't bother with it. Wanda and Ian are perfect for each other and there were so many little moments that made me laugh, cry, and squeal in delight.
Kid, 10 years old March 23, 2013

The Host

I think the Host is very educational in terms of learning how to protect what is yours and how enemies can cooperate together to reach a similar goal.
Teen, 15 years old Written bylucyandcleo March 6, 2013

Fun Book

I like this book. Its not for a kid because of sexual contest and violence and there are lot of kissing.