Kid reviews for The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic Poster Image

No reviews yet.

Add your rating

Please be careful with this

The Language of Thorns is a gorgeous collection, retelling classic fairy tails like Hansel and Gretel, and The Little Mermaid. Leigh Bardugo's writing is beautiful as usual, the characters are absorbing and relatable, and the stories are amazing. The Best Ones are: Ayama and the Thorn Wood, The Too Clever Fox, Little Knife, and When Fire Met Water. These stories are so beautiful, and made me smile at the book while reading. Clever, funny, wise, these are great stories. Skip, Skip, please just skip: The Witch of Duva, The Soldier Prince My ten year old sister somehow got her hands on this book, and she was up all night and terrified after reading The Witch of Duva. The Witch of Duva was a really disturbing story, even I was scared after I read it, my 47 year old father read it (he's read all the Stephen King books) and he was very disturbed. It's a really, really disturbing story, because it's basically the mystery of some serial killer killing a bunch of girls. * SPOILERS * basically the main characters father was killing the girls, and EATING THEM. The main character gets some fingers cut off, which is AWFUL, and she swallows a crows eyeball. After that, a 'fake her' (a realistic gingerbread girl made of her fingers) goes home to her father. Her stepmother, who was protecting the girl the whole time, leaves, and with no one to protect her, the father touches the fake girl in a sexual way, and then eats her. Then he dies. BUT IT'S SO DARN DISTURBING. If you're fine with reading about all of this (it's much more scary the way Leigh Bardugo tells it) you can read this, I guess, but please be aware your younger siblings may get their hands on this. The Soldier Prince is just really, really confusing. It doesn't make sense, like, at all. And it's pretty dark, the end is super weird, and there's no hope or light or anything at the end, so I would just skip it. Everything else in the book is great, though! Happy Reading!

2 people found this helpful.

thorns book

I think you should read the trilogy shadow and bone seige and storm and ruin and rising, and six of crows duology before reading this book. I think it was a very good book and do not kids under 10 years or kids who cannot handle a little bit of romance to read it.

Farytales, twisted

Like fariytales with violence. The Witch on Duva is kind of gross...

Great book

This is a great book. It is made up of kinda retold stories. the first one is like Beauty and the beast. all the stories are really good especialy the last which is like the little mermaid but from Ursulas(?) perspective. Her name is Ula. The soilder prince is reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllly weird. I have read it at least ten times but it still dosent make sence. I would just skip it. It is kinda gory and has canibilisam. I read it at 11 and was a bit creaped out. It all depends on the person reading it.

Dark and twisted, absolutely brilliant!

Leigh Bardugo hits us with another exuberant novel, this time a collection of stories and illustrations to create the creepy atmosphere. The stories were dark and creepy, which held on to that original fairytale mood/theme. Beautiful!