Kid reviews for The Lost Hero: The Heroes of Olympus, Book 1

Percy Jackson series spin-off is almost as delightful.

Kid, 11 years old March 15, 2011

Incredible Book- Iffy for 9 yr olds, but perfect for 10+

I heart this book!! I bought this one, and I cannot wait for the next one in the series to come out. I miss Percy, and go crazy just thinking what might happen, but it is most definitely a must buy.

Kid, 12 years old May 10, 2011

BEST BOOK EVER

Rick riordan is amazing... as a writer i am jealous =)

Kid, 12 years old January 1, 2011

Love the author, Hate the Book.... Please Percy Come Back!!!

Ok, I know, I know this is going to sound bad when I look at all the five stars here, but I really did not like this book. I love Rick Riordan and I LOVED the Percy Jackson series, and I kind of freaked out when I heard a new Camp Half-Blood series was coming. But this book did not live up to my expectations. The characters were replaced with self-centered new ones, that in my opinion had no place being there. Piper is a self-centered Aphrodite girl who's literally obsessed with Jason. Jason seems completely sure of himself and awesome to the extreme, and Leo who's actually the only slight Percy Jackson-like character in this book is strange and brings about to much focus on the Hephaestus cabin. This also kind of brings down the Percy Jackson series because it makes it seem like quests like that happen every summer. In Percy Jackson it made it seem like it was just Percy's bad luck that made him the star of so many little quests, but now it gives off the feeling that quests like this are a normal occurrence every year. It was also quite hilarious how much Piper loved Jason. The best thing about the Percy Jackson series was how Annabeth and Percy didn't like each other from the beginning. They were best friends of course and learned to care for each other. Piper loves Jason immediately and in my opinion there is no such thing as love at first sight like that. Plus, Jason only thinks she's beautiful and doesn't seem to care what her personality's like except for one mention of it in the book. The only thing to look forward to is that Percy Jackson might be in the next book in the series SPOILER with his memory totally wiped SPOILER. So, please Percy come back and talk some sense into these new idiotic dweebs that are running around Camp Half-Blood with their heads held high. P.S. Below it says that there was a mention of the F word in the book. I don't know if you were thinking of a different one or if your kid said he was reading that book, but wasn't, but as far as I can remember this is a children's story, and there isn't one instance where profanity is used.
Kid, 11 years old May 4, 2012

Great Book, Annoying Characters (Only two of the three)

First Things First. I LOVE PERCY JACKSON. There. It’s just this piece of… you know, that I was mad at. I had two problems. Piper. Jason. Piper was an insufferable Mary-Sue (a perfect character who everyone agrees with, is extremely pretty [daughter of the goddess of beauty] and is apparently ‘kind’) She made me cringe, and I wanted to skip through her narration of the story and continue to Leo. Her thinking Jason most of the time made me want to gag. I hoped by the end it was her that died in Mark Of Athena, but sadly I think Annabeth will die. (Rick can’t kill Percy, and Annabeth’s been around way too long.) I’m sorry Piper, but you’re thoughts made me almost think you were worse than Bella Swan. Jason. Dear god, this kid. He was so bland, and characterless, I wanted to scream! His thought were this, “I was scared. This happened. That happened. Wow. Piper’s hot.” Like, jeez! And it didn’t help that everyone loved him, he had no real problems with his life, and that he was a pretty boy. Leo and the plot saved this book for me. Leo was funny, and sweet, and I felt so bad for him, every time something bad happened. He can make you fall in love with a metal dragon! Piper and Jason couldn’t do that. So… yeah. I hated those two. That’s it. I hope you can understand my decision. I made it for a reason. This book is a read. And a thrill. I loved it. If Jason had character, I would have given this a four… maybe a five. But no.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMiranda B. March 26, 2011

A wonderfully orchestrated continuation of the Percy Jackson Series.

First off, I want to thank Rick Riordan for continuing his Greek Mythology series. Having read the Percy Jackson Series and fallen in love, with every book leaving me wanting more, I strongly recommend reading this continuation. Since the book is based on Greek gods and other creatures, there are battles in which injuries are sustained and monsters are killed. A frightening depiction of Gaea, the mother of all the gods, as a face in dirt, toxic waste, and other things is probably the scariest thing in the whole book. Otherwise this is a wonderfully illustrated book, one you'd want to read out loud with the whole family.

Kid, 12 years old January 22, 2011

Love it Love it Love it!

Rick Riordan hit a home run with the creation of The Lost Hero. It's filled with action, gods, and half-bloods. I'm only on page 335, but so far it's amazing!

Kid, 11 years old April 2, 2011

Awesome book!!!!

I couldn't put it down!!!!!!! My cousin finished it in a day and it's a 500 paged book! It's not as good as the Percy Jackson series but a close second. I don't like how Percy also has his memory erased thou.

Teen, 13 years old Written bydalekdefeater222 May 26, 2011

Rick Riordan is a literary genius!

teaches you about mythology just like percy jackson.Make sure young kids understand the difference between fact and fiction though. Don't know if I can bear the wait for the next book.

Kid, 9 years old May 1, 2011

awesomenesssssssss

rick riordan is the coolest author on the planet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teen, 13 years old Written bylizzyjm16 April 10, 2011

EVERY ONE MUST READ

i love it! the who time it kept me guessing.... where is percy where is jason from stuff like that. jason and piper both have feelings for eachother and annabeth is worried out of her minde trying to find percy! you can tell she cares! LOVE THIS BOOK CANT WAIT FOR THE NEXT 1 TO COME OUT

Kid, 11 years old April 3, 2011
this is just as good as the percy jackson series

Teen, 13 years old Written bygabec12 November 7, 2010

Perfect for everyone

I love it. The ending was great

Teen, 15 years old Written byzacchro November 3, 2010
AMAZING!! He's done it again! Why do they make us wait a year?

Teen, 14 years old Written bywizkid705 May 31, 2011

Kinda obsessed with this book

Yahoo! The spin-off to the Percy Jackson series is spot-on!! I still like "Percy" better, but this is about as close as you can get to passing it up! I'm actually more attached to the characters in this one and love how it switches perspectives every other chapter. You really get inside the characters' heads. Jason is kind of the classic hero, but still a really nice guy, Piper is AWESOME, she's a great strong female character and Leo is hands-down amazing. I can't even tell you how much I love him. Anyway, this book is very well written (probably the best written of all Rick Riordan books), witty, fun, teaches about Greek mythology, and constantly keeps you on the edge of your seat. It's also very quotable. :) Can definitely make you laugh and/or cry.

Teen, 13 years old Written byfan of rick rioradan April 29, 2011
At first i didnt want to read it because it didnt have Percy. But then i found out that the next book has Percy. Its a good book
Teen, 15 years old Written byholly525 March 11, 2011

Good for any age, but may not hold the attention of younger kids

I thought I wouldn't like it as much as Percy Jackson, but I think I liked it even better! I was so glad that I could still "stay in touch" with the old characters, while still getting a new plot and new characters.
Teen, 13 years old Written byaWsOmEanGelEa October 3, 2011

This is an awsome book!!

My school had a book give away where someone gave us 4,000 dollars to by new books for a class and my class was pick out of 16 classes ( 1,2,3.....) and i sew this book and said "Hawwwwww". My 14 year old brother and i are having a race to see witch one of us finishes first. OMG this is an awesome book to read!!my eyes out of it!! I can't keep can't wait til' you make another one Rick Riordan!!!!

Kid, 10 years old July 6, 2011

amazing book

great book, no swear words. Although, some people said that Leo used the F word in it. This is true but Rick Was smart enough to censor it.

Kid, 12 years old March 14, 2011

Not as good as Percy, but ok

It wasn't as good as the Percy Jacksons, but he left me at a cliffhanger. WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO PERCY????
Kid, 11 years old November 2, 2011

little kids

this is an amazing book. not that much violence, not enough to count as a symbol.piper does talk about jason being her boyfriend but they are 12 and 13. if you know your child well enough and your child is mature, children as low as 7 could read it.