Kid reviews for The Lovely Bones

Violent, disturbing read meant for discussion with teens.

Teen, 14 years old Written bykobukgirl96 February 21, 2010

to discriptive of the murder

i only skimmed through the sample because all my friends read it it creeped me out and was to discriptive it is not about maturity to handle it but if you are comfortable to read it

Teen, 15 years old Written byAdamsb6 March 23, 2019

Growth and Hope

I read this book for paper in English, and I found it great for showing the effects that death and rape have on others. It never described sex, drugs, or illegal drinking in detail we only know it’s happing because it is slightly mentioned or like the frist chapter it’s a no duh that what happing.

Teen, 14 years old Written byKatniss013 April 25, 2018

Worth a read

A great book, but definitely not for younger readers. I would recommend it to mature teens, as the main character is violently raped and killed by a serial killer, but it does offer a calming, imaginative view of life after death, or more specifically, the life of loved ones after death.

Teen, 16 years old Written byBilal Hayat November 27, 2017

this book is very attractive towards people i think children and adults should read this

this book is about a girl who was raped and murdered by her ferious neigbour this book is very intense but a guide as well children should know that some bad people are around they should learn how to protect themselves rather then taking self defence classes they should read books like this thats what i think but parents know better about there kids if your child is mature enough they should go for it but if they are still devoloping wait for a while overall this book is helpful as a guide

Kid, 12 years old May 29, 2017

Decent

Personally, I think this novel had way too much romance in it, and was way too sad. But it had many positive messages. Characters in this story fought through the grief they had gotten from the horrific event that had occurred in the story. The story is developed from the two ideas: hope and love. It stresses how important it is to have hope. A four letter word can mean so much, but you just might not realize it. The main character's family grieves and clings onto hope as their healing process. I thought this book was miraculous because of the amount of philosophy behind it. But it still does include a lot of things I didn't necessary like: such as a vivid picture of the main character's rape, or the mom having an affair with the detective..and the list builds on. So this book is not so great for younger ages for the explicit contact in it.

Teen, 15 years old Written byAsh G May 8, 2017

Good for Teens, not kids..

This is such an inspiring novel. It goes into VERY descriptive detail about the rape of a young girl which I don't think is the best material children should be reading. The book teaches a bunch of lesson which teens should know about, but the details that is written should not be shown to children

Teen, 16 years old Written byswaggalicous September 17, 2016

Whut??

Damn amazing so go away i hate everyone

Teen, 17 years old Written bytorrzimm May 6, 2015

The Lovely Bones

Alice Sebold touches on some sensitive topics such as brutal rape and dismemberment of a young 14 year old girl. This book doesn’t cover up the grief of losing a family member it shows that it takes a long time before you can begin to heal and that it can split a family apart. Teens that read this book need to have a serious attitude with this book as it's not happy at all if they joke around they are missing the whole point of the book. You should be 14 and older but even at 14 its iffy really it depends on you who is reading it. If you can have a mature read and not get sick at some parts then yoy should okay. Remeber that this book isn't about heros and villians and the hero wins. This it real life.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLiliac v. July 9, 2014

Not for kids

I seen the movie at the age of 8. It was ok. But the book is for more mature for kids.And may sometimes a difficult for teens and more with kids. 13 or 14 and up.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBook-Connoiseur September 17, 2013

Spectacular book, great storyline.

This book is a spectacularly well written and superbly done! Although the book revolves around gruesome killings, which may disturb some teenagers and possibly adults it is still explores many themes which may be necessary for personal growth such as family relationships, the story shows how the death of a 14-year-old girl can affect a family both physically and emotionally. Which gets the reader to understand the importance or trust, selflessness and compassion. I feel that this book may be open for discussion with certain teenagers who may not be ready in terms of maturity for this books contents, but may also teach them many other important aspects for life when they are ready for this kind of story. The story messages are rather vital and not just the plot itself. It also explores life and death in general and how they interact on an everyday basis without the living truly realising this. Which often gets the reader in-between to question death itself, what truly hapens when we die? This I feel is something that will remain a mystery amongst people, which is good as it gets one's creative side working. The story vividly describes Susie Salmons death which could be disturbing to the faint-hearted and the killings of the previous victims and there is some sexual encounters within the book but this should not discourage your teen from enjoying this brilliant and emotionally engaging novel. It is greatly satisfying and will be loved by both younger and older audiences. However parents may want to read the book before allowing your younger children to come into contact with it.

Teen, 15 years old Written bykvee123 January 21, 2013

Kids Just Dont Understand.

i am suprised that so many young kids are reading this book, i read this book when i was 15, and i thought it was a very uncomfortable topic to be talked about in such great detail. young kids that are reading this book probably didnt understand the whole rape seen, and thats why they think it was a good book.

Teen, 14 years old Written byAshlie Hitz August 14, 2012

Book Review on The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

I thought that this book was just incredible! it was a mixture of suspense, violence, romance, action, and horror. But, i recommend this book to teen girls the age of 14+ because of some of the explicit things in this book, but beside that, this book was a very good read for every teen girl out there. i have watched the movie, and the book just out did it in everything, details, ect. EVERYTHING! I really have enjoyed it!

Teen, 13 years old Written byMachiney August 1, 2012

Beautiful

People are talking about this book like it is the devil.
Honestly, do you expect that when your kids walk out the door they walk straight into a land of Disney and Candyland? No, the real world has flaws. It has problems like rape, drugs, adultery, and murder. And the only way to prepare your kids for these issues they will inevitably have to deal with at some time in their life is to open a discussion with them, and a great way to do that is through a book as intriguing and audience-catching as this one.
This book has sex. It has drugs. But guess what? Students at YOUR child's middle school are doing drugs. I hate to break it to you, but it is happening. And while that's not okay, is reading a book that offhandedly mentions drugs twice going to make your kid drop the book and run to the nearest drug dealer? No.
This book shows your kid that the world is a scary place, it honestly is, but when they look past all that there is beauty in the world, there is kindness. This book has amazing life lessons, is well-written, and teaches your kids about "stranger danger", so stop bashing on it like it is everything that is wrong with the world.

Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 9, 2012

Love it!

I loved this book. I read it when I was 14 (it didn't really bother me, but it would be better for teens older than that). I really loved the little paragraph at the beginning of the book about the snow globe.

Kid, 12 years old March 2, 2012

OK for mature kids

I read this at 12. I didnt think it was innapropriate. The rape scene isn't that graphic. But the sex scene with Susie is a little bit.
If you're teen is mature, they can read it. There is a lot of cursing. But its a good book.

Teen, 15 years old Written bykookykt19 February 22, 2012

Excellent, with some gruesome details

I really loved this book and suggest that only "mature" kids read this book. There are some pretty gruesome details in this book that may scare some readers. If you can get past the first chapter, you can deal with the rest of the book! Really great writing, Alice Sebold does a great job with vivid descriptions. There is violence and sex, but if you can look past those elements you can really get a sense of the message the author is trying to share with us!

Teen, 15 years old Written byCrazyKaulitzWriter January 17, 2012

Surprisingly good read.

I found this to be a very good book, if not a little weird. The writing style is nice, and it was one of those books I just couldn't put down.
That aside, there was quite a bit of sexual content, so much that even I was a bit weirded out. That, plus the rape of the main character. . . More than I needed to know. The violence wasn't a problem for me, but that's just. . . me.
The message of moving on, even after the horror of murder, really made the book for me, and the writing style is fantastic.
Still, coming from a Christian family, it kind of clashed with my views in places. I'm laid back enough though to think that, in the long-run, it was a good read. :)

Teen, 14 years old Written byisolabella January 13, 2012

Appropriate for mature audiences, know yourself.q

Over all a really good book but people should know before they read it that the book would be a bit disturbing for kids under 12 or 13 depending on their maturity level. I read the book and though it was really well written but that eeven to me as a 13 year old it was creepy and made me think a lot about rape and murder as in the beginning.

Teen, 14 years old Written byTeen101 January 8, 2012

The Lovely Bones

Honestly it was a great book. You have to be mature too read it. I am a freshman in highschool and we read it in my english 1 class. I was a GREAT dicussion piece, its going through the story of the struggle of life and death. The Sex scenes are graphic but i wouldnt say that they are innappropiate, they are appropiate for the correct age. GREAT book. As many of you DONT know. the author of this book was raped in college. This can be her way of coping with it. If you knew her story then you would know why there is SEX and DRUGS in the book. For people to downgrade the book because of the sexual figures in it is wrong in my opionion she wrote a great book, and for those people who say the book is innappropiate, you knew that there was sex and murder in it so why pick it up in the first place?.

Kid, 12 years old December 26, 2011

Parents read the book first then let your children read

I am 12 and i love this book, there is not really age promblems just depends on the childs maturity. Sorry i know im misspelling. I think depending on maturity 9 and up but remember content is also a promblem. Parents i recommend reading the book first then letting your child read it. BUT if your child is sensative to subjects or doesnt even know what rape is then tell them to wait on the book or they can google the defination. This isnt just for teens anyone can read it but you have to understand it to really enjoy it, some teens are just to childish to even handle the book.