All parent member reviews for The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

Parent of a 9 year old Written bysiemon April 28, 2011

Ms. Siemon's class review

Our class LOVED this book! Kate DiCamillo created a moving story with a good message for children. The story is about a selfish and egotistical rabbit who doesn't return love to others. Through the eyes of Edward and his many experiences, our class learned to appreciate and give love. The illustrations were creative and a good representation of the story. We would have given the book 10 stars if we were able! Our class is hoping to one day see Edward on the big screen!
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byjennavet June 13, 2009

Fantastic, deep, meaningful book

I am a mother of two boys, 5 and 7. We read this book (a few chapters at a time) and it got to the point where we just couldn't stop until we finished it. The book is brilliant! It affects you emotionally as well as physically. Once when Edward is drowning and sinking to the bottom of the ocean, you actually feel as if you, yourself, can't breathe. This book teaches us a great lesson in values and love, for chilren and adults alike.
Educator Written byMarla55125@gmail.com November 3, 2014

Too sad for young readers

It's a great book, but not for children below 4th or 5th grade.
Parent of a 4, 7, and 11 year old Written byJerbns6 November 2, 2014

One of my kids' all time favorite books. Love this author!

I was surprised at how much this book captured my sons' imaginations. I read it to them when they were in the 3rd grade. There is nothing objectionable in it, my only caution is that it does have a scene where a child is dying and passes away. This isn't played up in a gory way, it is just very sad. All in all, it is a wonderful book and a must read.
Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written byKiwi-mum August 22, 2012

A beautiful story

I read this with my 7-year old daughter and we both absolutely loved it. It is a really beautiful story and I cannot recommend it highly enough. My daughter is a very capable reader but I wanted to read it with her to ensure she understood the subtleties of the language and I am glad I did or I would have missed a real treasure! The author deals with loss, death and ultimately redemption in a sensitive and entirely age-appropriate way. What a wonderful discovery.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byjennyjenny May 4, 2010

starts a little slow, then kids didn't want to put it down

Evoked lot of emotion in both myself and my kids. Edward (the rabbit) grows from being a selfish, ungrateful, unloving rabbit to one that is genuinely interested in other people's lives. He learns to love. His journey of learning to love people and give his heart over and over is very emotional. Tear jerker. Brought up great discussion with my 7 year old boy. He loved the book, even though after about 15 chapters, he said- "I hate this book". He had gotten mad that Edward had "gotten lost" from his owner again and would have to see what awaited him. We talked about it and it really opened up dialogue with my son about dealing with sadness and opening your heart when you are hurt. And that is just what Edward did- what a powerful message! My 5 year old girl loved it too. She didn't want me to stop reading each night.
Parent of a 3 and 9 year old Written byhaljtmom April 20, 2010

Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written bymrsmstweet March 14, 2010

love lost and love found, open your heart to Edward Tulane

The message of love lost and love found is enough to make an 8 year old boy come to tears. This book just warms my heart. I have to prepare my inner most being before reading my students the last chapter. I just love Edward Tulane. I just love how he changes from a self-absorbed and unconnected being to one that has loved and truly adored.
Adult Written byShostey27 November 25, 2009

I think it is a wonderful book and i would recomend it to any one in the world that i know in the world and tell that person to pass on the message that the book is a good book and it can give some information on were he is and what kind of rabbit he is
Educator Written bysb34chick November 21, 2009

A sweet story enhanced by wonderful illustrations

A fantastical journey through a doll, Edward Tulane, who only knew the luxurious, spoiled, high-class lifestyle. Edward is lost in an unfortunate string of events, and overcomes his smug view of his new life through many experiences. Overall a story that shows the reader what life is all about, appreciating what you have and making the most of it. A sweet story enhanced by wonderful illustrations.
Adult Written bypositivegirl October 24, 2009

it is great for all ages

i loved it was the best but it gets to be very sad when sarah ruth dies
Parent of a 14 year old Written byJason2246228051 April 12, 2009

it was a good book

my kid jason cried but when i read read it it was good. but not for kid under 8 or 9
Adult Written byk8nadamsmommy April 9, 2008

Gets better each time I read it!

My 2nd grade teaching team and I read it to our students this spring and it was a big hit! Even we teachers found nuances to discuss during lunch each day! Of course, it got to the point where my students were fortifying themselves with precautionary tissues before each chapter. Then we had to read the last three in one big clump because the ending is so powerful that I couldn't leave them hanging! A great read/discussion for kids 7+.
Adult Written bytamijtucker April 9, 2008

Adult Written bynahodge April 9, 2008

Beautiful, Engaging, Lovely...made me cry!

I use this book as a read-aloud for the 5th graders in my classroom while we study characters. I cry every time I read it. Edward's "Journey" is both physical and emotional. The illustrations are gorgeous and really add to the story. The author's voice" in the book is extraordinary (which makes it a fun read-aloud). Older kids will enjoy it too.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byjennmccollum April 9, 2008

Couldn't put it down

Excellent morality points to discuss with any child who can sit and listen to the story. My son is 5 and did exceptionally well; often asking if we could read one or two more chapters before closing the book for the night.
Adult Written byTeacher-mom April 9, 2008

Great for children and parents

I read this book to my 3rd grade class. The whole class was on the edge of their seats. They were begging me to keep reading when it was time to go home. This book pulls you in right away and keeps your interest. There are a few sad points in the story but no one in my class was upset (ages 8-9) My 10 year old daughter read it in 2 days. The story comes full circle and teaches about caring and loving family. I highly recommend this for 3 - 5th graders.