Parent reviews for The Nixie's Song: Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles, Book 1

Spiderwick series continues with new characters.

Adult Written byJustmerritt January 4, 2019

Some nasty conversation

My son and I read Wondla, another work by Tony Ditrelizzi and loved it. It was so magical and adventurous without much violence for the most part. Had my son listen to this on audio and I thought the way the kids spoke to each other was not something I’d like him to be exposed to. The main character is overweight and one kid calls him “lardass”. Lots of bickering between the kids. I’m sure the story is great otherwise but didn’t find it suitable for my 5 and 8 year old.
Parent of a 6-year-old Written byaliese b. April 2, 2017

Unnecessary language

I felt it was not necessary to use the works "jerk" "crap" and "idiot". We started to listen to it on audio book with our 7 & 8 year old and turned it off.
Parent of a 7-year-old Written byOminotagoKnowsBest March 16, 2014

Bedtime Reading

This book is good for ages 7-9. It's an early chapter book series with a plot that builds fast. With only 9 chapters, it makes it suitable for short reading sessions and builds confidence in finishing books. Some language is a bit older, with words like crap and stupid, and phrases like, "it was so hot I wanted to die", but no swearing or sexual innuendos. Genre is Fantasy. Has pictures with short pages, so it is not intimidating to the younger crowd but also feels like a real chapter book.
Thumbs Up for age 8.
Parent of a 7-year-old Written byronitld August 9, 2010

great adventure but fraught with suspense for younger ones

Scary but amazing adventure tale that incorporated fantasy and rite-of-passage. Good role model in Mallory, the swashbuckling older sister. Divorece is an issue, as is a father who doesn't have time for his "old" family wen he has a new one. However, my son loved this series!