Parent reviews for The Parker Inheritance

The Parker Inheritance Poster Image

Good book

Good, strong book. There are some things, but other than that, it’s perfect! My child loved this book so much. She said it was very interesting .

Absolute must read for the summer of 2020

This book has earned it's place on our firm family favorites list. It is an enticing story based on it's mystery alone, but the issues of race, gender, sexuality, bullying and family dynamics are all interspersed with such gentle reasoning that it's a book that teaches without being dogmatic. It's history is necessarily hard to hear in places but in such a way that we should not try to hide from our children - my rule of thumb regarding sensitive subjects is this: "If your child is the same age as a child actually experiencing these issues, then they are not too young to hear about them." I found myself constantly drawing parallels with modern discrimination, oppression and prejudice as the story highlights these issues in the past, and then in the present through the issues the kids face throughout this book. I make a point of seeking out Corretta Scott King medal honorees and those who value diversity in their children's reading, will undoubtedly love this book.

Exciting mystery

Very engaging read. There are three themes: 1. Racism , bullying and bigotry in two different generations 2. Mixed race people who choose to change their racial identity. 3. Gender identity in two different generations.