All parent member reviews for The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy

Parent Written byoohlalisa August 24, 2011

14 thumbs up

Fantastic wholesome book for kids & grown ups of all ages. We listened to it on a road trip and my 5 & 7 yr olds laughed at the escapades, my 9 yr old would beg us to turn it back on and even my 2 year old laughed at the dog's antics. Not to be missed are here references to (and recommendations for) old-fashioned classics. I have read the 2 following books and found them just as good, if not better.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byhbs78910 July 8, 2015

I wanted to love this book

I have been looking for good chapter books to read aloud to my girls (7 and 5) before bed. I thought this series would be a winner. But after one character (Skye) says over and over that she is going to "murder" her sisters or an adult she doesn't like and another character tells the 5 year old her daddy can "go to ____" (the actual word is left out) I decided maybe not. One of the sisters also sneaks out of the house to go to an 18 year old boy's apartment, alone, to kiss him. There was a lot of editing on my part and I ended up skipping much of the end of the book. I had high hopes, but sadly won't be reading the rest of the series to them. The overall theme of the book was spot on and my girls loved the carefree summer the Penderwicks were experiencing, but there were some unnecessary details that put a damper on it.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 July 6, 2012

pendericks summer tale four sisters two rabbits and very

slow-moving, old-fashioned way, about children enjoying a summer of outdoor play. But winning the National Book Award for Young People's Literature makes its faults stand out: stereotyped characters; emotional flatness; and an ending in which the best-case scenario is for Jeffrey to go off to boarding school at the ripe old age of 11 so that his mom can marry the odious Dupree without being encumbered by an inconvenient child. Not quite the old-fashioned values you'd expect from an old-fashioned book, but a modestly enjoyable read nonetheless. Families can talk about the behavior of all concerned. Does Mrs. Tifton have any right on her side? Is she correct in her criticism of Mr. Penderwick's parenting? What do you think of Jeffrey's solution? Also, as the book depicts a type of childhood that may be more familiar to parents than kids. This may open the gates to comparisons between today's and yesterday's childhood.
Parent Written byreadingaloudtokids April 10, 2012

Fell in love with the Penderwicks!

Creative kids that love to explore, have great sibling relationships and the characters are wonderfully developed. It's mostly about a family of four girl's adventure on a summer vacation with all their challenges. The humor is very enjoyable for a family read aloud.
Parent of a 2, 7, 10, and 12 year old Written byKathyJ June 21, 2011

Nine is Fine!

My nine year old daughter (who is very innocent and doesn't even know what swear words are) said she loved this book! Her friends all read it and loved it too! I have not read it but she talks about it a lot!
Parent of a 17 year old Written byalison360surf May 20, 2010

a perfect book for kids ages 8-12.

I loved this book i read it when i was 10. i recomend this book to girls who have siblings becase they might relate to this book.:)
Adult Written byjmal April 9, 2008
Adult Written byalysonjarvis April 9, 2008

Great read-aloud for classroom teachers!