All parent member reviews for The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Adult Written byilovegodsomuch July 29, 2011

Good Read

This book identifies with teenagers because it is relevant to what kids face today! It does not compromise reader's judgment. It instead instills a sense of self, based on choice.
Adult Written byolivialong27 July 30, 2011

AMAZING!!!

This is one of the best books I've ever read. It taught me a lot of important things about life and has a lot of beautiful quotes, my favorite is "We accept the love we think we deserve."
Adult Written byJsca August 20, 2011

I've read and suggested this book many times

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a classic coming-of-age story; written in a unique style and conveying memorable lessons. It's better and more meaningful each time you read it!
Parent Written bymovienellie August 7, 2013

mature themes (yes I know, all kids think they are mature)

Who are the "parents" or "adults" recommending this book for under 16?? Oh, I see... if you actually read the reviews they're kids, not adults. Now it makes sense. This book is excellent, but for 16 and up. Definitely older high school (10th grade and up). And don't let the movie fool you... WAY tamer than the book.
Educator and Parent Written byPaigeAlizabeth May 12, 2014

Going into high school can be a scary experience for anyone, especially for a social outcast like Charlie. “Perks of Being a Wallflower” by Stephen Chbosky is the emotional story of Charlie's first year of high school. From new friends, drugs, suicide, and abuse this story is a revealing look into a teenage boys struggle to just fit in during his first year of high school. I highly recommend this book to those who are looking for a good read about relevant high school topics. Many of the themes that are prevalent in this book do make it more of a young adult novel and I would not suggest it for anyone under 15. There are multiple references to drugs, alcohol, abuse, and sex throughout the novel. Most of the conflicts that Charlie faces deal directly with these problems. The climax of the novel comes very late making the ending seem slightly rushed, but it was still a novel that I did not want to end. The writing style of this novel also really help to add to the realistic elements of this novel. The whole novel is letter written by Charlie to an unnamed recipient. Charlie’s thoughts are also very scattered while he is writing giving it a personal feel while also giving us an insight into Charlie’s character. In many instances he will be discussing one topic and quickly change to the next and get off track for the next three paragraphs and while this can becoming distracting at times it gives you a much better look and picture as to what Charlie is really like. Anyone who is facing difficulties in high school should definitely give this book a chance. It is a great resource of information on how to face those real life situations while still adding a bit of humor to the situation. And even if you are not facing struggles, you are just looking for a good, inspiring novel to read, I highly recommend “Perks of Being a Wallflower”.
Adult Written byHunger Games Fan April 25, 2012

bh

Best Book Ever Language F--k A-----e h--l f-g Sex lots of visual nudity and talk Drug use lots of teen drinking, smoking, and partiying
Parent Written bymomoftwo2 March 31, 2014

Adult Written byjustletthemwatchit October 20, 2014

The fact that this website exists is disheartening because reviews like these prevent kids from being exposed to art that discusses things that need to be heard. Without novels that talk about things that make us uncomfortable no one would have deep conversations that change the world. The fact that parents rely on censorship to raise their children is PATHETIC.
Educator Written byfilmmaster93 May 9, 2014

Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 August 29, 2012

the perks of being a wallflower

most challenged book on the American Library Association's list of the 100 most banned or challenged books of 2000-2009. What makes it so controversial? Who should be able to make the decision about what you read or what's in your school or public library? Teens and parents may want to compare and contrast this book with some of the other coming-of-age classics Charlie reads during his 10th grade year, including The Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird and A Separate Peace. Why did the author choose to include these books?