Parent reviews for The Poet X

Powerful, haunting story of finding your voice and power.

Adult Written bylibluv March 12, 2019

Beautiful book

While this book does contain swearing and a little heavy petting, it still sends a great message about being true to yourself and standing up for what you believe in. It's beautifully written and a quick read for kids who might not enjoy reading as much as we want them to. I find most kids will self-censor if they are uncomfortable with what they are reading and I would rather my child read about a possible situation before encountering it in real life.

Adult Written byAmbarservadac February 14, 2019

Full of dangerous steriotypes for Dominicans and catholics

Is a coming if age story but is part if a string of “a single story” that has been constantly told about Dominicans and Latin Americans in general. It perpetuates the bigoted catholic steriotype.
Besides the writing style, slam poetry, there’s nothing new, original or unique in this story.

Adult Written byharrisquinn April 20, 2020

Beautiful, powerful, authentic coming of age story

Searching for highly-engaging and well-crafted coming of age stories for my then-13 YO, I found this novel on so many short-lists and award winner lists, I had to check it out. I found it refreshing to hear an uncommon voice articulating the complexities of daily life kids face. Heartbreaking as it is to watch this not-so-perfect mother-daughter relationship play out, I welcome the exploration of dangers and risks and the thoughtful examination of what feels right, what feels wrong and how to navigate and apply to the street corner the rules and principles we lay out in the safety of the dinner table.

Educational Value
Adult Written bynora__m April 8, 2020

Sweet and empowering but for more mature readers

I’ll start this by saying that I let my 11 year old daughter read this. However, I would rate this 14+ because I think that a reader should be as mature as the average 14 year old in order to read this. If you aren’t sure what I mean by that— this book contains some mild violence and a little bit of swearing (about as much as the average YA novel), and sex (6/10 in terms of descriptiveness, but only briefly).

If that’s okay with you, then I would recommend this book. It’s heartwarming at times, and creatively written, and it has important themes in it. I would say that in my opinion it’s written very well.

Overall— good book, but keep in mind that it’s mature.

Adult Written byxvsenpai December 10, 2019

Don’t like that she ended up with aman

Honestly the story was okay without involving romance.. the fact that she went to aman when she ran from home instead of her friends house really pisses me off.. like he didn’t defend you and you still want someone like that? Ok.

Adult Written byKing31Mom November 29, 2019

Not necessary

This could be a good book without all the vulgar expressions. Not a book to be read by young teens. We can build empathy and learn to be culturally sensitive without all this foul sexual profanity.

Adult Written byAspen03161 October 22, 2019

Poet X not for younger teens

It has a lot of mature information in it. Standing up against religious ideas, masturbation, first experiences with heavy petting as a young teen, mature language. While it has a great message for older young adults as it deals with difficult situations and things that teens go through, it should be first read by a parent then talked with your child about.

Parent of a 14 and 18+-year-old Written byAvaandOdie October 9, 2019