Kid reviews for The Poet X

Powerful, haunting story of finding your voice and power.

Teen, 15 years old Written bykatey kat April 17, 2020

must read

This is one of the best books I've ever read. I would highly recommend the audiobook, it is read by the author (who is a slam poetry champion and puts her talents to use). This book is very very mature as well as quite painful. However I don't think that means younger teens shouldn't read it. It's very realistic; everything that happens in the book happens for real and it isn't being overly gratuitous. It's important for kids to read things that are challenging and grim and mature. That's how we grow. If I haven't convinced you, this book won the Printz award, which is basically the highest honour for a teen book. It's REALLY good.

Kid, 12 years old January 8, 2020

Great book.

It's pretty suggestive at some points (Definitely some sex) but most kids above twelve should know about it and be able to handle it, what with them already having sex ed and whatnot. Other than that, there's some drugs, domestic abuse, but I think most mature kids will be able to handle it.

Teen, 15 years old Written bymaddogg15 January 6, 2020

Teen, 13 years old Written byA.L.F. September 11, 2019

Good but Inappropriate

It has lots of inappropriate stuff in this and should be rated for older kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written bylalana September 6, 2019

Inspiring

It feels personal, and I treat it like a completed diary, on my worst days I read some parts of the book to feel understood, it's reassurance that what teenagers feel is normal.

Teen, 15 years old Written byaaniyah2003 May 22, 2019

Good book for the love of poetry

If you love poetry, this book is for you. It fixed were there is poetry on each page made by the main character. It sad but empowering as well but at the same time depressing. But it's still a good read at the same time. It's worth the while and money. It does mention sexual actions here and there but as I said before it's still a good read.

Kid, 12 years old April 21, 2019