Kid reviews for The Poet X

Powerful, haunting story of finding your voice and power.

Teen, 16 years old Written byvivaciousreader101 May 8, 2021

Teen, 13 years old Written bywhatthemshadowc... November 3, 2020

My favorite book of all time (:

As a teenage girl living in Baltimore; a lot of the things the main character in this book mentioned, I could really relate to. It really covered not only her journey finding herself as a young author, but also many aspects & relationships in her life. The way her relationship with her brother, mother, & boyfriend was portrayed was so powerful. It very clearly showed some ways that girls in today's society are objectified & sexualized. & the ways that they are taught internalized misogyny at a young age even by their own families. I think all girls in middle & high school should read it. It makes you feel like n to & like you're not alone. Also I LOVE books in poetry verse (some of my other personal favs are 'A long way down' & 'Mary's monster') I thought it was so cool & clever that a book about a poet was written in verse. I also thought it was amazing that the author could get across such a strong message in such a casual way. It didn't feel like a speech or lecture, it felt like I was reading something one of my friends wrote. It included pop-culture references that most kids my age would relate to. (My favorite music genre is rap, & favorite show genre is anime. I was so happy to see both of them mentioned in the book. The comparison she wrote about Nikki Minaj was super understandable & got a pretty good point across) I plan to recommend this book to my class!

Teen, 13 years old Written byArtistic _princess August 30, 2020

A little mature

Although I love the book, There is a lot of talks about first times and ****SPOILER ALERT**** she ends up have s*x with a character. But she learning who she wants to be through out the book!

Teen, 13 years old Written byansha25 July 19, 2020

Very Good

Teen, 15 years old Written bykatey kat April 17, 2020

must read

This is one of the best books I've ever read. I would highly recommend the audiobook, it is read by the author (who is a slam poetry champion and puts her talents to use). This book is very very mature as well as quite painful. However I don't think that means younger teens shouldn't read it. It's very realistic; everything that happens in the book happens for real and it isn't being overly gratuitous. It's important for kids to read things that are challenging and grim and mature. That's how we grow. If I haven't convinced you, this book won the Printz award, which is basically the highest honour for a teen book. It's REALLY good.

Kid, 12 years old January 8, 2020

Great book.

It's pretty suggestive at some points (Definitely some sex) but most kids above twelve should know about it and be able to handle it, what with them already having sex ed and whatnot. Other than that, there's some drugs, domestic abuse, but I think most mature kids will be able to handle it.

Teen, 15 years old Written bymaddogg15 January 6, 2020

Teen, 13 years old Written byA.L.F. September 11, 2019

Good but Inappropriate

It has lots of inappropriate stuff in this and should be rated for older kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written bylalana September 6, 2019

Inspiring

It feels personal, and I treat it like a completed diary, on my worst days I read some parts of the book to feel understood, it's reassurance that what teenagers feel is normal.

Teen, 15 years old Written byaaniyah2003 May 22, 2019

Good book for the love of poetry

If you love poetry, this book is for you. It fixed were there is poetry on each page made by the main character. It sad but empowering as well but at the same time depressing. But it's still a good read at the same time. It's worth the while and money. It does mention sexual actions here and there but as I said before it's still a good read.

Kid, 12 years old April 21, 2019