Kid reviews for The Sea of Trolls

Exciting fantasy-adventure based on Norse myths.

Teen, 14 years old Written byan engineer May 23, 2016

Interesting Book

The book includes a large quantity of information on Norse mythology, similarly to Rick Riordan's novels, except that Riordan's are Egyptian and Greek. Dissimilarly to Riordan, the books also take place during the Viking Era, rather than the modern era. The book is well written, and uses a somewhat advanced vocabulary. The estimate of ages 7+ was mainly if the reader is rather advanced, or is having the book read to them. Overall, this book, if you plan to go in-depth with the text, is best for a middle school class. They will be capable to understand the issues addressed in the novel, and yet not at a point where the actual book is boring.

One warning, there is some violence in the novel (In the middle of the book, there is a scene where the Vikings go berserk and murder everyone in a village. The actual violence is brushed over mostly, but the aftermath is described.) If you are particularly worried about your child hearing about violence, or you don't care to hear it yourself, then I would suggest skipping that section. A good trick for that if you are reading this to your child is to read a few pages ahead so you know when the section is coming.

On a humorous note, why would you read about a sea of trolls when you can simply visit the internet and experience one?

Educational Value
Teen, 15 years old Written byDonnie Dennis March 25, 2011

Great books for ages 10 on up.

I think "The Sea of Trolls" is a pretty good book and can be read by kids 10 on up. It doesnt have any bad words that can effects kids, but they'll probably have an addiction to the book and won't think about anything else.

Educational Value
Kid, 9 years old February 22, 2010

now my favorite book!

i loved it!it may seem fiolent but it just shows how the northman lived.

Teen, 14 years old Written bystar April 9, 2008
Teen, 15 years old Written bytranq April 9, 2008
Teen, 15 years old Written byelenmadil April 9, 2008

Like all Farmer Books, this one is grate.

Even though there is some bad language and maybe some violence, it only gives an atmosphere to the story. It's a grate story, though the ending is a little decipointing. One of my favorites though.

Very interesting

My younger sister bought this for my birthday, I read it and I loved it! The northmen were very entertaining, and it was fun to learn about their odd habits. I especially liked Thorgil's personality. She was tough, and she really wanted to be treated like she was a boy.It was also fun to watch how Jack went from being a farmer's wimpy son to being a bard mistaken for a northman. Lucy was a bit of a brat, but she was still sweet all the same. Some parents might find some of the northmen's customs and ideas repulsive, but I think it's harmless, really. I think 8 and up would enjoy and understand this.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJazzyEvvie April 9, 2008

Book for all ages

This is a fun book for anyone 8+. There is a scene of graphic violence, but it is a very good book for anyone from 8-88!
Teen, 14 years old Written byjazzyjammrz April 9, 2008

LUV IT LUV IT LUV IT

This is a really fun fantasy book. It is exciting- best for ages 8+. Thorgil starts out violent but ends up as a favorite character. five stars!
Teen, 13 years old Written byseishou April 9, 2008

great book

very, very good book, i would recommend it to anyone. what struck me was that it was (at the most basic level) historically accurate. In real history, the great king Olaf Haraldsson captured a great bard named Bersi Skaldtorfuson, called a skald by the northmen. Bersi ended up writing the Saga of Olaf. I was shocked to realize that, besides the trolls, dragons, etc. It was true!!!

Great for ages 8 and up

I CAN'T GET ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!