Kid reviews for The Secret Garden

Classic novel inspires love of nature.

Teen, 14 years old Written bygilly_boy January 13, 2012

The magic is in everyone.

I like the characters and the garden. The garden is said to be magical and can heal anyone who enters. I think anyone would me interested in the book if they like class and inner magic. It's just something you don't really forget that easily.

Teen, 16 years old Written bySi_le_bon_sens_... December 17, 2008

Don't let classics like this die

I feel compelled to write this review by the astonishing number of people I have heard/seen saying that this is a boring book. I hate to say it, but society is heading in a very bad direction if older kids can't get through an approximately 400 page book. I'm not saying that it won't take some time (the first time I read The Secret Garden at age 7 it took me over a month), but children no longer have the attention span that they used to and the only way to fix that problem is to practice. The Secret Garden is all about self-discovery. Mary Lennox, a spoiled and stubborn little girl, exists inside all of us. As a reader, we are appalled at her behavior at first, but then upon self-reflection, we see that we are not so very different, and begin to improve and develop alongside Mary. Believe me, parents, by the end of the book you have a much better behaved child. A must read for everyone!
Teen, 14 years old Written bySt. Dominic Lit 17b April 9, 2019

no stars

this is probably the most boring book I've ever read. all that happens is a girls parents and whole family dies. so, she goes to live with someone else well... the person she lives with has a crippled son or he thinks that he's crippled. the kid says hes a hunchback but hes just never gotten out of bed so he really doesn't know. also he has a really bad temper and the only one ho can calm him down i the girl. and basically the only reason she gets a secret garden is to get away from the kid so the girl is a little fake. see how i just told you that whole book in a couple of sentences. that is all you need a couple of sentences not a couple hundred pages. this is also the slowest book I've ever read. lastly people ght say it is for a ten-year-old but they will have a hard time reading this book because it s so confusing
Teen, 13 years old Written byDisneymovielover77 May 6, 2015

Great book!!!

I completely disagree with the age group with this book. There's nothing innapropiate or even violent when you read this particular novel. The book is about a young girl who goes to stay at her uncle's house. Also she befriends a young boy named Digory and his sister Martha, along with her cousin. The book has great messages and role models, and it deals really well with imagination and reality. If u saw the movie then this book is a must read!!!

Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

It made me feel all warm inside!

This was a wonderful book! It's one of those books that when you finish it, you want to read it again. The main character of the book starts out as a spoiled brat, but when she moves, it all changes! She meets a boy with physical problems and discovers the "Secret Garden"! A refreshing novel!
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

The best book in the history o the best books

At first the main character Mary Lennox is a spoild brat but after she finds the secret garden she starts thinking about other people and their feelings. At first I though it was boring but after I read the 1st chapter it was really interesting. It is a book you will want to read over and over again.
So if you go somewhere and happen to see the book you should get it and read it. You sure won't regret it.
Kid, 10 years old July 26, 2020

This sucks ngl

Super slow,and when your teacher makes you write down everything think you dont know,makes it even more slow,it takes 80 pages for her to get in the garden,its so old,and just boring,also it's just really sad,and every moment it's just pity,half of the times idk what they mean,this book made me stop reading,its a waste of time. Idc if it's old and classic,just because its classic does not mean it's not rude,mean,and too sad. Why are they kids being called ugly,why is Collin being straight up judged for being disabled,its not good in 2020,do not read it. Dont make yourself like it.

Teen, 16 years old Written byNadylin January 16, 2020

It is a great book for kids!

It is a good book for children. I wished I read it sooner, I would've enjoyed it more.

Teen, 14 years old Written byA book thief May 22, 2019

Teen, 14 years old Written bySt. Dominic Lit 10B April 15, 2019

Love It!

This is a total classic! I fell in love with this book! BUT, be careful, if you don't like long books that seem "boring" or don't like reading all that much, I wouldn't suggest this book. There are themes about friendship, kindness, and helping others, even if they don't want your help. The little girl, Mary Lennox, is very bratty and mean at the start of the book, but though self-discovery and meeting new friends, she turns a new leaf and puts all of her energy into caring for an old and rotting garden. Little does she know the garden has a sad history, that is why it is hidden from her and a "secret garden". I don't want to give any more away because reading it for the first time is magical!!!

Teen, 14 years old Written bySt. Dominic Lit 9B April 15, 2019

TRASH BOOK

This book i hard to read do NOT recommend. Let me specify, if you like fast pass books with action and something interesting. Than this book i not for you. I think at one point her parents die and she gets adopted buy her uncle who has a cripple son. Well he said he was cripple but he wines all the time and never when out side. Oh it takes place in England in a manor if that helps. I Should have given a spoiler warning. But then again i could not read it that well
Teen, 14 years old Written bySt. Dominic Lit 4B April 15, 2019

borinnnggggg

This book is too slow, and you get tired of it easily. If i wasn't forced to read it, I wouldn't have even made it through the first sentence. The main characters are mean, nasty, and disgraceful. There are about 50 pages of just the main characters arguing. The little girl is the rudest person i could've imagine to walk the earth. The little boy is dying and is also rude. Honestly i don't even know how i made it through without giving up half way. It's way to slow paced for anyone. This is just my opinion so don't take offense if you love this book. Please DO NOT waste your time.

Teen, 14 years old Written bySt. Dominic Lit 15 April 15, 2019

a decent book

We read this book in my class in 7th grade and it was very slow. There are a lot of times that are very boring and that make you want to sleep. There are also parts that are interesting. In the book a girl is sent to live somewhere in a big house with a bunch of rooms. Later in the book, she finds a garden. The rest o the book is very slow and not very interesting. I would not look forward to reading this book during class. My class would much rather read something more entertaining to read. I would not read this nook again if i had a choice. You might fall asleep while reading this book.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySt. Dominic Lit 9 April 9, 2019

boring and slow

I think this book is not very good because it is slow and hard to read. It does not stay very active and the story line moves very slowly. It does not have any swearing, violence, or drinking and okay for young readers. I think that it is good for young girls but not for boys and that they can get bored with it. I had to read this book in 7th grade and think that we were a little to old for it and we could not relate to it. I actually never finished this book because it was a quarter novel and our class was not able to finish it. I think this book teaches a good lesson by you don't always get everything you want and sometimes you have to work with what you got. It also has some adventure in it but moves slowly t get to the final outcome. Overall I wouldn't recommend this book to the majority audience and think that only certain people can be interested in this book.

Teen, 14 years old Written bySt. Dominic Lit 17 April 9, 2019

Very slow!!

This book in my personal opinion is very boring. It is good at some parts but most kids would not like it. For kids and teens like me if you like more up beat and fun books this one is not for you. It can get interesting so you can give it a chance. My class read it as a class novel and everyone complained. When you are reading the book it's so slow that sometimes I didn't even know what was going on. It does kinda teach a good lesson though. It teaches that spoiled brats don't always get what they want. But they learned how to actually be outside and explore the secret garden. Overall this book was okay but I would not recommend if you like more fast pace books.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySt. Dominic Lit 13B April 9, 2019

My Unpopular Opinions

This book isn't good, don't get it. It a waste of money i didn't enjoy it. But its about a girl who is in this camp or like school. Then she goes outside and hears a bird singing. So she follows it and it leads her to a door when flowers and green plants. She sees a key hole in the door. She looks for a key and she ends up going in to a room. Not knowing there is a hunchback man. He ends up telling her a story about his beautiful wife and how she died and how she loved gardens. so yea the door with the key hole is a door to the secret garden. And she finds the key and gets in the garden. But yea its a pretty boring book. #wouldnotget
Teen, 13 years old Written bySt. Dominic Lit 1B April 9, 2019

The one time I like a movie better

Usually books are way better than the movies, that's how it is will almost every series. I loved The Secret Garden movie ever since I was little so it was disappointing to read the book an see how boring it is. It drags on forever and was terrible to read. Both of the main characters were little brats. You would think that having a fatal disease and losing your parents would make you a little humble. But nope.It made them annoying and me want to burn the book. And I love books so that is really saying something. It was so bad that our class had to stop reading it because it took us so long to read it. Nothing was happening at all and if something did happen it was followed by 10 chapters of complete dullness. Honestly i would just watch the movie because that is only two hours and it was more interesting that the entire book. The only reason that I'm giving this 2 stars instead of 1 is because of the childhood nostalgia that i get when i watch the movie. Do yourself a favor and read something else........anything else.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySt. Dominic Lit 11B April 9, 2019

Terrible Book: The Secret Garden

I think that this book was boring and unenthusiastic. I would not suggest reading this book. It is also confusing for younger readers. I think that the beginning was terrible and could have been more explanatory. I would not suggest this book to any one. The plot is difficult to understand and the setting is always changing. The setting is also very nondescriptive and needs more backround information. Two stars and would not read again. I would not suggest reading this. It is not worth your while.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySt. Dominic Lit 5B April 9, 2019

Hated it (Spoilers)

We read this as a class novel and it was so hard to follow. I would read a chapter then have to reread it at least 4 times. At some points it would talk bout one thing and then skip to something totally different. Not only was it hard to follow it was just plain boring. The story line is not the best . Both main characters are spoiled brats and don't care about anyone but them selves. They both have filthy rich parents that don't care about them. They treat there maids/butlers like trash, and they have no regards for authority. The little boy is so weird and I couldn't understand his back story at all. They had a very "complicated relationship". Then there is this brother of the maid that she likes. The hole book is just complicated. Okay.