All teen and kid member reviews for The Selection, Book 1

Teen, 15 years old Written bycleanreader12 October 24, 2013

Too Intimate

Okay... I loved almost everything about the book. The review on common sense media says that all America and her boyfriend do is "just kiss" .if you call "just kissing" lying on top of one another and caressing! They had clothes on... I just would have liked a better warning. Other than that the book is very enjoyable.
Teen, 13 years old Written byUseursense February 17, 2014

Ummm.... CSM might want to re-do their review.

I only got to the first chapter and there was this huge scene where America sneaks out at night and meets her boyfriend. Huge make-out thing. Really bad.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLiveLoveLOL August 16, 2013

Awesome!

This is one of my favorite books ever! I adore the love triangle (but I'm rooting for Maxon), and it's got a great plot that really keeps me intrigued. I stayed up all night reading it! There is some kissing scenes, but not to bad. I read the sequel, and it was great! I can't for the third one!
Teen, 13 years old Written bySydWeasly October 28, 2014

It gets worse

The Selection is a very exciting book that is hard to put down. However, later in the series the sexual content becomes much worse. I really wanted to finish the series, but I had to stop reading the last book (the One) because of the sexual content.
Teen, 13 years old Written byclaireandlou July 31, 2012

Great book, mild sexy stuff

In the world of Illea, when a member of the royal family is looking for a new wife, The Selection takes place. It's a competition to win the prince's heart. America Singer doesn't want to be a part of it- she has already found love with her secret boyfriend Aspen. But Aspen, who is a caste (which is like a district) below her, meaning that he is poorer than her, insists that she apply to participate so that he can feel like he has done something for her own good. When she is picked, she has to have a proper send-off in her caste. That's when Aspen breaks up with her saying that he could never marry her and force her to become poor like him, that she deserves better. She goes to the palace with a broken heart and 34 other girls, and discovers that Prince Maxon isn't as bad as he seems. Some mild sexual themes-- it is illegal to have sex in Illea before you are married and America often thinks something like "We have to stop even though we both want more." And a man comes to her house right before she leaves to go to the palace to confirm that she is a virgin. And that even though it's illegal, she should never refuse the prince, even if he wants to have sex with her. She is a good role model because she stands up for herself and doesn't care that the person she loves doesn't have very much money.
Kid, 11 years old June 11, 2012

A really amazing book, can't wait for a sequel!

I love this book! Such a cute story about love twists and tangles, and sososososo excited for the next book! Very suspenseful and makes you want to read more and more
Teen, 13 years old Written byEpicNerd May 20, 2014

Unique and addicting!

Kiera Cass has an incredible talent for making readers want to keep reading at the end of every single chapter (this goes for all the books). What I love most about these books is that they never get boring, it's just one thing after another- it's fantastic! As for age appropriateness, I'm going to go with 13 and up due to some references to sex underneath the plot if you know what I mean. For example, America (the main character), when being accepted for the competition, is required to be a virgin, but is then later told that she must submit to any request of the prince, "...even if it's more than kissing." There's also a make-out scene between America and her childhood lover that stops, "just shy of something we could be arrested for." There's definitely a lot of kissing but other than that nothing a parent should be concerned about their 13-year-old reading. There are wonderful messages about family, friends, self-discovery, and many other great influences. These books also portray a very beautiful and sweet example of what true love should be like, which is definitely something teen girls should be reading about. Overall I highly recommend The Selection to girls (and guys I guess) interested in romance, dystopia, and/or monarchy (such as books set in the medieval ages).
Teen, 16 years old Written byrebma97 May 2, 2013

Engaging dystopia

This novel is very entertaining. The writing keeps you hooked, and America's character is a fresh heroine who's outspoken and tries to do what's right. With that being said, I felt like it was missing something when I read it. I think it's that the world of Illea isn't developed very much-dystopians have to have good background history to give the story more depth. But the story was very intriguing, and I'm interested in reading the next novels. Violence: A few times in the story, rebels attack the palace (but no one gets hurt). One of the past rebels had attempted to rape a servant. Near the beginning of the book, it was mentioned that a boy was whipped for stealing food. Sex: America and Aspen engage into some passionate kissing; America admits she wants to have sex with Aspen, but the law forbids them from doing so. America also kisses Maxon a few times. One of the palace officials makes America confirm she's a virgin when she is selected for the Selection and also tells her she should do anything Maxon asks for (implying sex). Language: A few uses of "h*ll" and "d*mn" Drinking & Drugs: Some of the characters drink alcoholic beverages served at the palace.
Kid, 11 years old December 26, 2015

I Love This Book

The book is a pretty clean awesome read that most older tweens and teens would love. Younger tweens would probably love this too ,but it all depends on how mature your kid is.
Kid, 11 years old March 11, 2015

NEVER STOPS BEING AS GOOD AS HUNGER GAMES

Kid, 12 years old March 30, 2013

The Selection May Not Be a Top Selection for Book Readers

This book is a somewhat good book. There are small parts that aren't really appropriate for children, but if your child is mature, they should be able to handle it. Overall, it is a good futuristic book that is almost like watching reality tv. A great read for 12 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySexy senorita May 26, 2012

The Selection

I think this is a great book and I would highly recommend this book to anyone of my friends and family. If my mum asked me if it was too mature, I would say now, because it isn't and I really enjoyed it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bystrudelkitty827 August 23, 2015

Ok...

I guess this book was ok, I mean I'm going to read the second one, but it totally wasn't as good as the Hunger Games. I thought it was an ok start to an ok series.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybooklover1299 November 22, 2012

The selection

I loved this book i've never really been into reading much but this book i adored! I couldn't put it down i cant wait for the second book to come out but the first book had a enough closure but still left you wanting to know more witch i loved
Kid, 12 years old July 27, 2012

can't wait for the sequel

I read this book and loved it. I can't wait for the sequel. In the beginning, America meets with her secret boyfriend at night.
Teen, 14 years old Written byrachaels May 12, 2015

Not that good.

I only got to chapter two before I stopped reading. So much for 'just kissing' they basically do everything they can without actually having sex. Yeah; NO. I don't think so. I stopped then, but I could already see the similarities to the Hunger Games. Being 'Selected'. Being in love with someone from your hometown but then marrying someone else. That person from your hometown happens to be tall and have dark hair. And, oh yeah, his dad died so he has to take care of his huge family. Not to mention, this is 'after' North America. And there is a relatively newly created nation. So basically, the Hunger Games- but not nearly as good and too much -'almost'- sex...
Teen, 13 years old Written by123hannah4567 July 1, 2014

Interesting

I really liked the story and I thought that it was pretty cool. It only took me 2 or 3 days to read because I really liked it. I think that most tween/ teen girls would enjoy reading it, especially dystopian fans. The thing that first drew me in was the dress on the cover, so I decided to buy it. I do not regret buying it. One of the few things that were iffy about this book was the romance. There isn't any sex, but there is some passionate kissing. America and her boyfriend, Aspen want to have sex but can't because it is illegal to before marriage. America says that is why most people marry young. Another thing is the violence. It isn't too bad, but there are some rebel attacks in the palace. The prince tells America that some rebel attacks are not very harmful at all, but some of them involve killing. None of the girls are killed, but become very frightened. It was very hard for me to put this book down and I highly recommend this book. If you read it, you will not be disappointed. I will certainly buy the 2nd and 3rd book of the trilogy.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySherlock@221b January 28, 2016

Hmmmmm, don't think about it for too long, and you may enjoy it

Personally, I was amused by it, but couldn't see past my hatred of the protagonist. America's failure to choose serves for the whole plot the three books. Plus it is very sexist, all these girl's competing to marry a guy, and god forbid they don't win??!!!!! what will they ever do with their sorry little lives.
Teen, 16 years old Written byfrench.cats June 11, 2015

Boring, no character variety or development-- your average YA novel

If you're a fan of YA fiction- you know, with the love triangle, two guys competing for the same girl, a little bit of jealousy, makeup...this is a great book. However, this book has no intellectual basis. I have read many, many books with plots so similar that I could almost claim that they're plagiarized. The book, and series, continue with a predictable plot, making it easy to guess what will happen next. The main character, America, is a "mary-sue" character... Overall, I was disappointed, and I don't intend to read the most recent book in the series.
Teen, 16 years old Written byHiggsBoson7 May 27, 2015

Romantic in a funny way

First chapter bam she sneaks into the tree house to her love Aspen they kiss he opens up the nape of her shirt and kisses her their and on her arms. Also in the castle aspen sneaks into Americas room and rips of her blankets gets on top of her and pushes her head to his to kiss her and rubs up and down her legs. Also there is sex talk about how they want to go farther then making out. So 14 and up is good.