Kid reviews for The Testing, Book 1

The Testing, Book 1 Poster Image

The book overall was pretty good. There's a couple things that upset me a little bit. It is like every other dystopian book, this book reminded me of the Hunger Games and the Maze Runner. At times the book was confusing at first but once you started reading the rest of the book it starts to fall together. I'd recommend this book for 12+ because there is some violence (for example: this girl commits suicide, injuries; but not too gory). But nothing too extreme. I'd recommend if you liked the Hunger Games.

Decent book, but the second is better

I love teen dystopian and I read this when I was 11. I liked a lot because I related to the main character a lot. I saw a review where they say the main character doesn't have any flaws. Well, in the second book she shows some and to me she's realistic but lawful good. Cia also has fantastic morels. There is swearing, but it's very brief.

Amazing

I'm 11 years old and i just finished reading this book. It is an amazing book and the authoir really thought about everything that a book would need to be perfect. Only problem is that there are some parts in the book where people die, and we know that more than 100 people start and 20 of them are able to survive including some people that killed some of the others. I've always read a little ahead of my age ratings, but i think this book will be amazing for those who can handle violence. If you were able to handle the hunger games, this will have around the same amount of violence.

Good, but just another Dystopian book

This book overall got three out of five stars. It was well written, but dull to read in parts, and just another classic dystopian novel, nothing new. One part I disliked about this book was how unoriginal it was. Dystopian books these days are always very similar, but this one was worse than the others. It had the classic small girl, who is smart, and considered “strong” despite her small frame. This is shown not only in this book, but also in the Hunger Games, Divergent, and Matched. She has her strong boyfriend, who is handsome and a lot of other girls like him. She lives in a world where the government is lying to her. The government part is always a given for dystopian, but this book followed the trait more than others. Another thing I did not love about this book is the fact that Cia has no huge flaws. She is a perfect girl who has her virtues, and has only minor flaws that can be overlooked. People aren’t supposed to be perfect, but this author tried to make her character perfect anyways. There were some things I actually liked in the book though. First, I liked how clean it was. This is one thing that gives it originality in the dystopian world. The character may be a bit overly perfect, but at least she has her moral values, unlike in other books. The author also did a fantastic job with description though sometimes went too in depth to Cias past memories, or explaining the whys, when the author could have simplified it. So overall, I would recommend this book, it was interesting, and even though it's a lot like other dystopian novels it still has its own unique twists in ways. This book will get you excited, and sometimes you don't want to put it down, but in the end, it's just another dystopian novel.

I think it was good

Tosu City is the place where there is a lot of modern technology. It is also very big with lots of grassland. This is also where The Testing takes place. The Testing is a book by Joelle Charbonneau, and it is a fictional story. Cia graduated high school with some of her classmates and got chosen for the Testing. When they get there, they have to take five different tests and they take the first test out of the five. When they pass all the easy tests, they get to the hardest test. During the middle of the test, some of Cia’s friends die because of the tests. On the fourth test, it was really hard since it was about surviving in a middle of a place where no one was, and a lot of the students died because the students would betray each other and kill other students who tried to pass it, wanting to get into the university. When Cia got to the end of the test, she had to wait a few days for other students to make it to the end, too. While she was waiting in her room for the other students to make it, she recorded herself about what happened during the Testing because on the fifth test, they tell you if you passed or not. If you did pass it, they erase your memories; if you didn’t pass, they kill you. During the fifth test she does pass, and book 2 of the Testing tells her story while she’s at the university. I was drawn into the story because I wanted to see if she survived. Most of her friends died; there were about seven there, but in the end, there were only three of them who survived, and one of the friends killed all their friends. The events in the story were believable. Though this is a fictional story, it did kind of seem believable because they used actual cities. Some of the places the main character passed by was Chicago, Wisconsin, and Iowa. One character I cared about was the main character Cia because in the middle of the story, some parts felt like she was going to die. I would recommend this book to people who like horror, adventurous, and survival stories. Some other books that are similar to this book are maybe the book Refugee and A Long Walk to WaterI; these stories are similar to The Testing because they're about survival. Perhaps this book could be even better if they took out how the people looked when they died because the book describes death too much with the blood. When I read those parts, I feel disgusted. Also, the romance scenes are weird and disgusting because they're surviving in the wild and they don’t have time for that; the book can do without these scenes. If you like survival and horror things, this book would be the one for you. However you might wanna pass if you don’t like romance because there are romance bits, and they get a little gross. There are lots of deaths and gore throughout the story, and they describe it too much, so if you don’t like that then this book isn’t for you. Yet, this book is really interesting and would make you want to read part 2 of the book series; there are three books to the story.

To much killing

I would not recommend this book for kids under 17-18 because of all the death and suicide, it is not appropriate for them.

Very Interesting and Exciting!

I am twelve years old and I would definitely recommend this book. CIA is careful about decisions and how they will effect her future. She is very bright and passionate. Her relationship with Thomas does not go past kisses and hugs, although in one scene, she expresses feelings of wanting more, but having to wait. There are some intense scenes, in which CIA feels horrible about killing. Over all, this book is clean, exciting, and has good morals. I would recommend this to any mature tweens or teens.

Gripping and amazing

This is a great book and series and I would strongly recommend it to anyone who enjoyed ‘The Hunger Games’ or ‘Divergent’. It makes you think a lot about certain situations and choices, and what the right thing to do is. The main character is an incredible, strong, kind girl and a good role model. She has great values such as helping others even if it means sacrificing something yourself, not taking life and resources for granted, and respect. There is no swearing in the book. There is some kissing but it stays as that. Joelle Charbonneau crafted the novel so beautifully that you feel as if you are the main character, not just watching as a fly on the wall. The series has lots of twists and turns, which makes it very gripping and interesting. Spoiler Alert: Close to the beginning, there is a description of her roommate taking her life. This is short but is only the beginning to a lot of death. If you are especially sensitive to killing and murder, it would probably be best to avoid this book. However, if not too sensitive, the books are definitely a must-read.

Kept me on the edge of my seat

This book has about how your choices can come back to haunt you, the value of trusting relationships, secrets, the detrimental effects humans can bring and the twisted minds of those with too much power. Really great book. I never wanted to put it down. I definitely recommend this book to young teens. Violent but not gorry.

LOVED THIS BOOK!!

This was one of the first dystopian novels I had ever read and I enjoyed it so much! I think that if I hadn't read the testing, I wouldn't like dystopians as much as I do. It does have some kissing but nothing too bad.