All parent member reviews for The Underneath

Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written byaghurrican October 3, 2010

Weirdly Violent

I thought this book was weirdly and gratuitously violent for the age group for which it was intended.
Parent of a 8 and 14 year old Written bysbamoore June 29, 2014

The underneath is a good book, but very sad

this is a good and meaningful book, but also very sad.I felt so sad for the dog when the owner beat him.But, despite all the sadness, this is a great book.
Parent Written byPokadot Nana July 1, 2013

Disappointed

I love to read 9-12 novels especially since a couple of my grand children are in this age group...so seeing this book at Chapters I was excited to read it, but to my surprise it is not one I would gladly hand over to my grand child for them to read. There were parts that were heart filled but all in all it was not to my taste in a youth book.... How it won an award has me puzzled.
Parent Written byb-woman March 10, 2012

canadian thoughts

There is brutal treatment of a young child and later, domestic animals but is written in original language and takes place in an interesting imaginative place.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byJeremy7450 May 14, 2011

AWESOME BOOK! Just right for 11+

I completely L-O-V-E this book! The only thing i dislike is that it is confusing because it has the book all mixed up. it has random flash backs.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bymomimom July 29, 2010

This book is ultimately joyful- but the road there is dark indeed!

While I agree that the main human character in this novel (indeed the ONLY human character) is a brutal, violent drunk, the relationships between the animals demonstrate heroism, loyalty and deep-felt love and affection. In particular, the old dog Ranger has suffered both violence and neglect for years at the hands of Gar Face and yet he becomes a beacon of hope for the cats he cares for. He overcomes adversity, he is a selfless defender of those weaker even than himself, and my 9 year old son was mature enough to understand that while pain and suffering are a part of life, the bonds of family and friendship are stronger and more everlasting. Not for the faint of heart, not for a child to read alone until 12 or 13, and not for parents who cannot tolerate the topics of alcohol and abuse, either toward children or animals.
Parent of an infant, 8, and 9 year old Written byGoodyGoody1 January 25, 2010

Blue story telling, rhytmic, emotional.GOOD BOOK

I really liked the lyrical story telling on this book...it has a pace of its own...it has lots of blue hues to it..there is sadness and longing in this story.It goes back and forth from ancient times to this day, in events that transpired in a common place, a deep forest in the Bayous. The stories of those of old and those of today have a lot of things in common as well, there is lots of emotions and feelings, and mystique to it. And of course,the trees are a big part of this whole plot,since they are the witnesses to ALL the events of this forest, and they too have their own story. It is true that the human character is evil, completely inhumane to all around him, a bitter man who hate has been consumed by hatred. He is mean, very mean to his dog, a lovely hound,who is loyal and faithful, a dog who has been abused and chained by this man for years, but also there is a great contrast between the power love and the bitterness of hate..and you get to actually hate this vile man just as well,and love the hound and his kittens just as much..and feel their loss just as strong...there is a lot of feeling and a great deal of connection with these characters, with each one of them. It is actually a great book, because, I think is good for kids to feel that arrange of emotions through reading a story,that connection, that's one of the reasons we all read a book..to travel to that place, and see the sights and smell the smells, and witness the story for yourself. I good blue novel, with a happy, open ending.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byjentinematz January 23, 2010

really difficult and sad book

My 10 year old was very disturbed by the violence, the sad plot, the way the animals were treated. She feels like the animal troubles are excessive and the human characters just awful. she does not think it is at all appropriate for any one who like animals or is a sensitive person.
Parent Written bykae@mediat.com October 16, 2009

My 11 yr. old and I read it together. She typically loves the darker books, vampires, etc. but she told me that she doesn't want to read any more books by this author because of how sad, unsettling and upsetting this book made her feel. If you like animals, stay away from this book. At least it had a happy ending. In it's favor, the prose was excellent and good triumphs over evil.
Adult Written bytravel2 July 20, 2009

Two tales come together in the end and love wins out. Starts slow, a little fuzzy in the beginning. Makes you feel good in the end. Definately for older teens, perhaps 15yrs an older due to violence.
Parent of a 1 and 11 year old Written bybooks4kids March 25, 2009

Recommended for 13+

Beware of the level of violence and animal cruelty. The book consists of two plots that don't come together until the very end of the book. This might frustrate young readers. It is very sad how the "heroes" of the story are harmed. The mother cat brutally killed and the hound dog tortured. My husband and I agreed this would not be a book for our 11 year old children. There are other works out there that are a better investment in pleasure reading time.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bySuzyr March 3, 2009

Tough choice for animal lovers

As an animal lover I couldn't wait to read this book when I unpacked it at my school library and saw the animals on the cover. With animals as the main characters how could it not be a good story? Although some hardships certainly can make any story more intriguing, the poor animals in this book really suffer. As a child I would have been upset by all the animal abuse and actually still was as an adult. I am so disappointed as the writing was lyrical and poetic and for the first few chapters I thought I had a great story in my hands. However, from the drowning of the mother cat to the poor bloodhounds face being smashed in with a board and then him being used as alligator bait,this book was full of descriptive animal abuse. Sadly, this book will appeal to young animal lovers and they will most likely be upset and disturbed by what they read.