Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening

Sexually violent book is nothing like the TV show.

Adult Written byChrissy505 October 17, 2009

Really good but a bit inappropriate.

I actually really like this book. Read it its way better than common sense makes it sound. Just because the characters are more complex, and have good and bad sides doesn't mean they are evil.

Parent of a 14 year old Written bysoccerchik58 March 30, 2011
This book is fine for other kids. There is NOTHING wrong with it! HaHa

Parent of a 12 and 15 year old Written bygabajoran June 24, 2010
I read this series since my 12 year old is into vampires. While I won't object if she reads them we will talk about the books in some detail. The sex is not graphic but it is implied. Language is not an issue. Violence was pretty front and center but since vampires are involved that's sort of expected. I found the teens in this book to be the kind of people I would not want my kids to be. Elena does die for her town, family and friends in the end but she's still not a truly likable character. As stories go, I found this series to be somewhat disappointing. I didn't really care what was going to happen next since I didn't have much invested in the characters. I think we'll need to look further to find some acceptable vampire stories. If I can stall my daughter on these books for a while it would certainly be a good thing. Maybe I'll get lucky and she won't read them at all.

Adult Written byKarine18 February 23, 2013

Hey!

i liked it so

Adult Written byRorie6 November 12, 2011

AMAZING

This book and series is amazing! it is a great love story filled with action and mystery! i would reccomend it for anyone who is in the mood for a great book that you just cant put down! sure it is a little violent, but today what isnt?

Adult Written byXPURPLElemonadex August 14, 2010

Perfect for teen girls, but no one younger!

The book was really enjoyable, and I think that although its not too intense, I still don't think its appropriate for a younger audience. Some would say its "violent", but it honestly didn't phase me.
Adult Written byMorgan W. February 25, 2018
Written byAnonymous March 12, 2015
Elena, the queen bee of her high school, is confused when the new boy, Stefan, shows no interest in her whatsoever. What she doesn’t know is that although Stefan secretly carries a torch for her, he can’t bear for her to learn his terrible secret: he’s a centuries-old vampire! When Elena eventually finds out the truth herself, the two admit their feelings for each other and try to build up a relationship. Things get dicey when Stefan’s evil brother, Damon, shows up in town, and decides to steal our heroine away for himself. Sound familiar? Despite its Twilight undertones, The Vampire Diaries actually precedes Meyer’s sparkly vampires by at least a decade. Pushed into reprint by the rising interest in vampire literature, this book unfortunately offers nothing new to the genre. To make matters worse, it’s littered with characters that are both flat and uninteresting, and contains plot twists that the reader can see coming a mile away. However, teen readers looking to sink their teeth into more vampire romance will definitely find what they’re looking for here. Recommended for Ages 15-Up.
Adult Written byteacher234 December 16, 2011

NOT for kids

Lots of sex, violence, teenage drinking and drug use.

Adult Written bybethikikik August 4, 2010

11 + really, but the mood is dark.

this book is not for everyone in the sense that the mood is dark and some may not like it. elena gilbert may do what she needs to get what she wants, but she is a troubled teen that severely feels like an outsider while she is the most popular girl in school. she is loyal to her friends and town, though, especially when she died for them. yes, the main character lies, all teens do or else they wouldn't be teenagers. the violence isn't that bad, not graphic, though it wont give kids nightmares, and if they're over the age of 9, probably have seen far worse. now these guys are vampires, so they obviously dont feel remorse ore regret,and it wouldn't be a true (good) vampire book if the vampires were sparkling ballerinas. elena, the main character, is indeed a virgin (mentioned in 6th book), although sex is implied, they dont actually do it. the worst sex is in the 5th book when elenas past friend has sex for attention and ends up pregnant. yeah, a guy gets drunk once, a heck lot of teens do. the role models might not be that good, but they aren't the kind of characters anyone would want to be like.
Parent of a 16 year old Written bymenab32 November 23, 2009

I just didn't like it.

I didn't like the book. I found the placement on social status to have a negative impact on teens. Don't we want to teach our kids better?
Parent of a 3, 5, 7, and 9 year old Written by6whittingtons November 20, 2009
This was a light read and the characters were all straight forward, no complexities. As already mentioned Elena is incredibly self centered, it is pointed out to her in book, and shallow. Stefen who is supposed to be the good vampire, ie doesn't kill humans, in the end is just as selfish as Elena and goes on a killing spree. I agree that this is more of a horror-romance series than a straight romance. If you like the show you probably won't like the book, they are nothing alike. The show gives Elena many good qualities that are absent in the books.