All parent member reviews for The Wind in the Willows

Adult Written byrufusmom April 9, 2008

Read this book!

My kids (ages 5 and 7) loved being read this book! I gave it an "iffy" for language, because the term "silly ass" was used a few times. The depiction of Toad provides a perfect opportunity to discuss things such as temptation, avoiding sinful behavior, selfishness, greed, and the way a friend should help another who is caught in such behavior.
Educator and Parent Written byfruityputooty January 5, 2012

Vocabulary must be reviewed by parent o determine the childs ability to understand.

I began reading this book to my 7 year old upon reading this recommendation for 6 year olds. I got a few pages in and realized that in order for him to understand this book, I would have to explain a LOT of vocabulary to him (e.g."meandered aimlessly"..."spirit of divine discontent and longing".."imperiously"..."after the seclusion of the cellarage"..."impatient and contemptuous" all of these are in the first two pages!) He was not understanding it. We have not yet finished it. I thought I would wait until he is in the 3rd grade...now we'll try again. I'll update once we are done. I am all for introducing children to new vocabulary words, but in my case there was too much to explain.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byallietx January 13, 2010

Classic fun for animal adventure fans

I read this book to my 8 year old son and we both really enjoyed it. It has funny parts and some mild adventures and lovely characters with good messages about friendship (and the dangers of boasting!).