Kid reviews for The Wishing Spell: The Land of Stories, Book 1

The Wishing Spell: The Land of Stories, Book 1 Poster Image

BEST BOOK SERIES EVER! CHECK OUT MY USERNAME!

I LOVE IT!!!! My sister started reading the series in third grade and finished earlier this year. Now I'm starting to read the series and so are all my other friends too! I'm even later in the year going to present a speech to my class why they should read the series. The author's use of dialogue, vocabulary, and details is so smooth and understandable. Chris is really creative and gave the books some really nice story lines, also, I LOVE his characters. (Especially the Mother Goose and Lester twist!) I highly recommend this series of books. It's so enjoyable and fun you can finish the 400 paged book in a week. I hope you enjoy the series of books as much as my friends and I are too, and that you enjoyed the review. (Don't listen to those other bad reviews! Those parents are just too old to now enjoy fairy-tale novels!)

2 people found this helpful.

Good, but not best

The Wishing Spell: The Land of Stories is about twin siblings who get sucked into a fairy tale and have to get back home. I personally liked it, but at times it was a bit hard to read because of blandness. The characters were a bit too usual, very stereotyped, with blonde hair and blue eyes, and the usual "smart kid" and "popular and dumb kid" but their adventures were not. I would've liked to see some more diversity; the ideally beautiful character is caucasian, so it creates a beauty standard of paler complexion being prettier. Overall it was enjoyable to read; there are the classic fantastic goblins, trolls, fairies, unicorns, princesses, etc., but it just barely made four stars. I would say that this book is for older kids; there is a pinch of sexual stuff, and a lot of action, the twin main characters see slavery, and younger kids could be disturbed by it. Faults aside, I would recommend this modern classic of a fantasy book if you aren't picky.

1 person found this helpful.

If you would like to take a break from life and visit a magical world, then what are you waiting for?

I read this book when I was 10 because I've always loved fantasy, this was in the summer, and I got the first two books at the library. My parents were always working and I didn't really have a lot to do, so I devoured the two books in three days. That summer, I read the entire series, leaving a mark of true happiness. The first chapter is a machine, bringing you into another world. At the time I was going through a lot, this book literally saved me. This book contains two siblings who unravel the secrets of their dad and a magical land of original fairy tales! Their goal in the story is to get back to their home with a wishing spell which can only be used with some of the important items to the Land of Stories. Meanwhile, the Evil Queen breaks her way from imprisonment, plotting to take over and help her love, Mira from her magic mirror. Great story, well written, and some lessons and mystery in the book. I also recently read Tale of Magic, which is an awesome prequel for The Land of Stories. So if you have read The Land of Stories, and are looking for something new, I highly recommend the Tale of Magic Series. This book has slight violence, but not too much. I would say this book is good for 7 year olds and older.

The best book ever!! Please READ!!!

Start of amazing series!

This is an amazing book that is the start of my favorite series of all time!

I LOVE THIS BOOK!

I RLLY LOVED THIS BOOK! My friend recommended the book to me almost a month ago and now I am almost done finishing the 7-book series! This is the type of book you literally cannot put down. It has soo many twists and turns along the way, which makes you always keep reading.

My thoghts

I read this book and it was really good, but there were some plot holes and it had some weird sentences. I read it when I was 6 but why I say its 7+ is because it does have a bit of violence but its still really good. I like how at the end it says villains are just victims of other stories that haven't ben told yet

THIS IS MY FAVORITE SERIES

I started reading this book in 3rd grade with my best friend and we instantly fell in love. The storytelling is so good and the characters are really good role models. I love the spin on Mother Goose as well.

Very good

This book exceeded my expectations, fun but badly written but still fun and good

Intriguing, hard to put down

The book was really hard to put down. There was a little swearing, but not too much. I really enjoyed how the author took characters from classic fairy tales, and added them to this book. The anticipation also added a lot to the story. When a character found out another clue that could lead to something, I was already trying to figure out what the something was. I loved the book.