Parent reviews for Treasure Island

The granddaddy of kids' adventures -- a classic.

Parent of a 6, 9, and 13-year-old Written byJayne Smith August 6, 2012

Disturbing, but classic

A lot of ship terminology. There was some very disturbing and vivid imagery that I found to be downright terrifying (pirates curses, skulls grinning, eye sockets gleaming in the moonlight, the endless hunt for revenge, unexplained and horrific death etc).

Parent of a 6-year-old Written byCarolyn F. March 9, 2019

Younger kids will like it too!

I've tried reading chapter books with my six year old daughter before - things like the new Amelia Bedelia books and some mermaid adventure stories. She'd be into it for a chapter or two and then done. But for some reason I picked up our copy of Treasure Island and she was riveted throughout. We read three chapters a night every night until it was done, which took about a week. I'm sure that most of it went over her head, which is why we will be rereading this when she is 8 or so. But she still found the story really interesting, and was very worried about whether the pirates would win and whether Long John Silver was actually a good guy or bad guy.

We learned lots of new words, and Jim Hawkins demonstrated the importance of sticking to your word even if other people don't.

Adult Written byKenneth L. January 17, 2017

Classic sea adventure

As a parent (and middle school teacher), I've read this book over 50 times. I agree that the language can be daunting, but the story is fantastic. As a teacher, I provide plenty of guidance and plot summary to help keep kids interested. After a few chapter, they get the hang of the 'Old English'. It's a classic coming-of-age story, watching Jim Hawkins grow from a scared boy to a brave young man, facing down treacherous pirates and standing by his convictions.

Adult Written bymmckaibab September 28, 2015

Why start "serious" reading on this dated work written in archaic English?

My son is struggling through his first weeks of 6th grade and we have no clue whatsoever how the curriculum designers think they are going to entice kids into "serious" reading by forcing them to wade through this seriously dated and simplistic work written in an archaic English full of jargon that is relevant to very few, if any, 21st century children. My wife and I share several graduate degrees yet we both struggled to make sense of this. Assigning this is a great way to ensure kids will look suspiciously on other reading assignments. Such a wasted opportunity to really hook kids on reading.
Adult Written byKeanu4chickens September 14, 2015

treasure island is bad

i thought treasure island was really bad. the grammar is a pane and to even understand the book. don't even let me go there. and to think that it was a 5 star!

Adult Written byisaf July 26, 2015

Hard concept for children to understand

A great book for older kids
Adult Written byTeachMuch April 13, 2012

Violent and a lot of drinking.

Parent of a 8-year-old Written bySonofKatieElder August 21, 2011

great book

My son 9 read this during the school holidays and loved the adventure described in the book. Struggled a bit with some of the narrative but still managed to enjoy and comprehend the story.

Fa. character = Ben Gunn

Parent of a 4 and 7-year-old Written byhannahrose April 28, 2011

Great for all ages!

Boys and girls will love this book about pirates and treasure and everything high seas! Adults will love it, too!

Parent of a 12-year-old Written bykrstn425 June 14, 2010
Parent of a 10 and 13-year-old Written byjimmmmm September 8, 2009

Great book

Gripping adventure. Excellent character development.
Parent of a 9-year-old Written byHomeSchool Mom FL August 1, 2009