Parent and Kid Reviews on

Our Review

Based on 3 parent reviews

Sort by:

WARNING

This review is heavy on spoilers. As a person who read not only this book, but all 6 of them in middle school, I'm warning you all-- DO NOT. Spoiler alert, but you'll want to read it anyways because trust me, reading these books is by far the worst way to experience them. The first book is pretty good— interesting concept and neat world building. That's what snagged me and bled me like a bear trap. Second book is kind of the same, and third book is where it starts to get weird. Then the fourth book hits, and oh dear god. Have you ever wanted to read about the main character's 15-16 year old best friend being trapped by an insane middle aged woman who thinks he's her son and forced to eat human flesh from her victims?? No??? Well have I got news for you, that's probably the least horrible thing that'll happen in all the last three books combined! Book five hits, and the best friend's real parents (who have been brainwashed) kill themselves. Which is pretty bad on its own, but let's just theorycraft a little bit: what would YOU do under these circumstances? Cry? Be depressed? Maybe start a villain arc? Well, more spoilers, what he actually does is make out with the 40 year old serial killer who held him captive and fed him human flesh (it is heavily implied that they had sex). Later, after going progressively more insane, he calls her weird and she shoots him dead. She is, weirdly, portrayed as sympathetically tragic in this scene. But don't worry, that's not even the main plot! The main plot is that (yes, even more spoilers) evil (but sexy, for some reason????) underground aliens are approaching the start of their 500,000 year BREEDING CYCLE, which will cause them to grow probisci and lay eggs in the brainwashed humans' stomachs. All of which is described in bizarre, graphic detail. Okay, I get it. Some kids' stories are dark. Some are sad. That's fine; kids are smarter than people think, and it's healthy to be exposed to and think about and process these topics. These books, however, are nothing short of grotesque, obscene, and wholly unenjoyable for anyone, let alone children. Don't make the mistake I made in middle school. The first three books will trick you, but absolutely nothing is worth the last three.

1 person found this helpful.

Tunnel Series

This is the best series I have ever read. Not only did I buy each book I also bought the complete collection on CD and listen to it every two years while driving. Fantastic...

A great series! Extends reading bed stories ritual a bit longer..

I brought and read from these stories to my 2 grandsons each night. They loved the story line, action, adventure, and though it could be a bit scary, they still wanted more. They are thick books, 6 in series.. It was a wonderful bonding time ritual for us...they had out grown their younger books. My grandson saw the 1st book in his school library, and we were hooked from there. I think if we didn't find this series, reading, quality time would of been over 2 years before them, So thank you, Mr. Robert Gordon