Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Vampire Academy

Sexy, mean-girl vampire story has strong language, bullying.

Adult Written byhelsingmusique November 5, 2014

I really loved this book as a teenager

I haven't read it in a few years, but it was a good book, an interesting story. Things were well explained and it was not difficult to get into a book, I think anyone 11 and up can read this book, I mean if I read a lot worse at that age than this. I love reading and this is one of the first book series I really liked, although I do still have to finish the last book of the series. Rose is a very interesting character, it's nice to see that the main focus on the book was not romance which tends to happen with far too many books nowadays and it takes away from the story. There is swearing, but if your child goes to an actual building for school and attends this school with other people, we can assume they've heard worse, usually kids really start picking it up around ten eleven years of age.
Adult Written bymiktx September 10, 2015

Good book but some things might bother some parents

The book is fine. As a story, I liked it. But... the main love story is a teenage girl who is the student and her rather much older adult teacher. They are truly in love and the teacher is never made out to be a predator. If that is not a problem, the rest of the book(s) is great. If not in this first book, eventually, the student and teacher end up sleeping together at the boarding school while she's still a student.