All parent member reviews for Virals: Book 1

Educator and Parent Written bycarleesoto March 25, 2014

We thought this book was filled with great science and research scenes. However, the inappropriate language of the main character bothered us in elementary. We do not think this book is the best choice for a 9 year old. We thought it best for 14 years old due to the language... which by the way takes away from the main character's intelligence.
Parent Written byhappymom41 May 21, 2015

Foul Language - Head's Up

My 10 year old son is currently reading "Virals," and really likes it, but he's only a couple of chapters in and has come to me twice with concerns about the words "kickass" and "bastard." We've discussed that authors will use strong language like this to make a point, and it's good that he recognizes it's inappropriate, but I question Common Sense Media's green light for ages 9 and up while also disclosing in the review that words like "bitch" and "bull####" appear in the book. I'm disappointed in how you handled this one, Common Sense.
Parent of a 6, 9, and 11 year old Written bymommylibrarian May 20, 2015

I Love Common Sense Media but this is definitely not a book for 9 year olds!

Kathy Reichs is the author of the Bones series (also a producer for the TV show). I have read and enjoyed the Virals series and I think the books are very good for young adults. They are well written and interesting as they combine a mystery with a little science fiction. The Virals are high school students who act and speak like high school students. There is some coarse language, romantic tension, violence (people are killed and the teens are being pursued) & criminal activity. Other books in the series have the teens drinking and some more morbid elements to the mysteries. The Virals use their intellect & special powers to solve mysteries. I like the strong female character Tory in this series. I'm an elementary school librarian and a parent of a 9 year old. This book (and the series) is not appropriate for 9 year olds (gr 3s) but great for older kids of similar age to the characters.