Kid reviews for Where the Red Fern Grows

Tearjerker about country boy and his hound dogs.

Kid, 11 years old May 4, 2016

Sexist messages in the book

I HATED this book. There is so much sexism. Billy names his dogs Little Ann, the girl, and Old Dan, the boy. Billy's father also describes how women are different than men because they worry more and can't hunt. Bad messages for sure.
Kid, 12 years old June 10, 2021

I definitely think it’s a good book but it ended to quickly I think they should have made the book a little bit longer but other then that I love it and I think it’s so good, I’ve read it 3 times now and I wrote a essay about it for my school novel project because we got to pick our books I would recommend it to everyone if you like books like this
Teen, 13 years old Written bypocky April 9, 2008

Boring. Horribly boring.

In my school, you must read this book before going to middle school. I didn't like it at all. The hunting for sport is wrong, and it's not the subject I'm interested in. I'm the only one in my homeroom who didn't like it, I found it boring. You would like it if you're interested in boy-and-dog stories set in the countryside.
Kid, 11 years old October 2, 2017

Tear jerker, but good!!!

This story is a very heartwarming tale. It is about two dogs and a boy hunting. It gives you a outline of the Great Depression and how life was like. It does have a death, skining coons, and a fight with a lion. This book is not boring, it keeps you on edge the whole time! It also teaches kids about perseverance, kindness, and bravery.

Teen, 14 years old Written byBook_lover321 March 19, 2021

One of my favorites

I think the book is a great read. I read it last year. I don't think it should be rated 9+ though. There are some disturbing scenes: A boy falls on an axe and is impaled through the stomach. Animals are hunted and trapped. As well as graphic descriptions of wounds on animals. It probably depends if your child can handle these things. But it would defiantly be a bit much for a 9 year old.

Kid, 10 years old February 2, 2021

Terrible!

I am 10 and I am required to read this for school. I don't see how this book could be 9+. It includes descriptive detail of a boy falling on an axe and dieing. SPOILER ALERT: The dogs die in the end and it is insanely sad. Also, if your 9 year old has a pet, make sure to give them many tissues since I am 99% sure that they will worry so much about there pet. Not to mention if they have 2 pets. EXTREME SPOILER ALERT: One of the dogs die from getting hurt by a mountain lion and the other one dies after because she doesn't have the will to live without the other dog. Like me, kids might me really sad if the have 2 pets and one is older than the other and they might me worried that one is gonna die and the other is gonna die to.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAnonymous_hi January 29, 2021

One of my favorite books.

I read this book in 2nd grade, after my teacher recommended it to me. It was an emotional roller coaster, and one of the best books I've ever read. There is violence, so if your kid gets scared easily or can't handle violence, they shouldn't read it. One person dies from an ax wound, and 2 dogs die.

Kid, 12 years old January 8, 2021

I like it but it’s a little graphic

*spoiler warning*
~
It’s good but some parts are graphic and sad. A boy falls on an axe and dies, and he says in a very low voice to Billy, “Take it out of me...” that part kind of scared me, but it wasn’t incredibly scary, just sad. A dog dies, and the other one dies of loneliness... that was the really sad part.

Teen, 13 years old Written bybookreader130 November 11, 2020

Where the Red Fern Grows

Best book I have ever read! It brought out all emotions in me that I didn't know could come from a book. I recommend that every parent makes sure that their child reads this book.

Kid, 11 years old March 31, 2020

Amazing yet so so so so so SAD

I cry every single time. Truly an amazing book.

Teen, 14 years old Written bySDCS 8B 5 January 17, 2020
This story is about a boy who wants a dog but his family cannot buy one. Then, he decided to do the work him self with God giving him the strength to carry out his wish. After he gets the money, he buy the dogs which are on sale. They go on many adventures thru training and hunting coons. They go to a competition and win first place, is one of the many adventures. After that and back home, Old Dan saves the kid from a mountain lion, unfortunately dies. Little Ann dies by self starvation, because she was depressed by the death of Old Dan. The are a few cuss words but when the kid says bitch he is using it in the original meaning, female dog. So, if you want you/your child to read about loyalty, persistence, and friendship read this book. This book has an over all good message(stated above) and the kid is a good role model for persistence.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLainie.R January 11, 2020

I love this book

This was an AMAZING book. I read it for school, and I cried so bad during the whole thing. I'm a very emotional person, so the book kind of hit me hard. But this book is interesting and has a good message. I totally recommend this book. it might be a little violent for younger kids.

Kid, 10 years old November 5, 2019

Very Great Book!!

This book really takes you through a journey!
Teen, 17 years old Written byManny Luke Moreno October 6, 2019

Teen, 13 years old Written byVeronica Blythe May 10, 2019

Overrated but still decent

It’s commonly said that it’s emotional at the end but it was underwhelming. I think that I wouldn’t recommend it for teens because it’s pretty boring but it’s really engaging for slightly younger kids (6-11, think) would recommend reading aloud because there is *some* swearing (they say d*mn and hell a few times and b*tch once) so just censor as you see fit.
Kid, 11 years old April 16, 2019

The best book i have ever read

I recommend this book to anyone who definitely likes adventure, emotional stories, action, and dogs.

Teen, 14 years old Written bySt. Dominic Lit 20 April 15, 2019

Sad but good story

Billy is a young farm boy that has two labs. He uses them to hunt with and he has his old hatchet. He goes out one night and on his way back a puma comes up on him. His black lab gets in a fight with it and kills it. The boy starts home and his dog got hurt bad. It eventually died after they got back. The yellow lab is really sad and doesn t do any thing. It dies from saddnes. He buries them and they have a rare red fern growing next to their graves.

Teen, 14 years old Written bySuperheroLover August 13, 2018

Very sad tale, not for youngsters

I loved the writing style of this book, but it is a bit much for younger kids. It has a lot of the death topic in it, and it is not for the sensitive type. Other than all that, this book was very heartfelt, and wants to show the reader how important man's best friend can be.

Kid, 10 years old July 8, 2018

Tearjerker breaks your heart and sees it back together again

This book will probably traumatized sensitive kids ages nine or under. I read this book in the second or third grade and I did cry a couple of times. This does deal with the death of an animal and there is one very intense scene that may cause more tears than the actual death. This is a classic and a very good book that I highly recommend.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySofia_2442 December 2, 2017

An Amazing Book!

Where the Red Fern Grows is an amazing book. It is a great book to cuddle on the couch and just read.It is a loving book about a boy and his dogs and that they would go great lengths for each other. It is a heart wrenching book but with tears of sadness that turns into tears of joy. This is a book that everyone must read!