Kid reviews for Whirligig

A car crash ends one life and begins another.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySnazzy Reader August 31, 2014

Thought Provoking Book

I , personally, thought that this book was very good. Although the way the chapters are put together is a bit confusing I thought that it is was a good idea. I think that there are some really good messages in the ending of the book. I think that this book has a slow start but I really got into it by the end and only read it in one day. There is some drinking in the beginning along with some uncomfortable situations but I think anyone for 12 and up it is completely appropriate. One of the other reviews says that the way Brent feels is unrealistic but if someone is drunk and depressed it definitely is VERY realistic. Overall this book was enjoyable.
Teen, 15 years old Written bylowegra000 October 22, 2020

Whirligig

I am 15 years old and i had to read it for school and i really liked it there is a part about suicide so if you have a hard time i would recommend not reading it but other than that its a good book.

Kid, 11 years old October 24, 2013

Whirligig

This book was great! I really enjoyed it and it was very interesting to read. It probably isn't suitable for ages 9 and under, and depending on the kid, 10 years old is fine.

It was very good and I would recommend it!
Teen, 15 years old Written byhannah111 August 23, 2011

Whirligig. (:

Hi, i'm 15 going into freshman year in abut two weeks and all the freshmans had to read this book over the summer so i started right away just to get it over with, it was going fine at first then I got really confused because I thought the book was going to be about brent and the two girls in chapter two then chapter four came and isn't wasn't about the girls and I got so confused. so I guess i'm just saying that you really have to pay attention and follow along and if your reading it for school like I had to I would take notes about the setting, characters, problem/conflict and how it was solved, and the theme/ message of each chapter so you won't get as confused as I did. Overall it is a good book, just hard to understand in some parts. I would not have even thought about reading it if it wasn't for class but anyone who is looking for a book with a strong message it is the perfect book. goodluck. (:

Teen, 14 years old Written byVera Slater May 14, 2011

better for older kids. Stronger themes may not be appropriate for younger children

Whirligig is a beautiful story of redemption. A boy searching for himself and forgiveness travels across the country to build whirligigs for a young woman he accidentally killed. We see the affects the whirligigs have on him, but also the affect it has on four the lives of others in the four states.

Teen, 14 years old Written by14liz14 April 17, 2011

not interesting

There no interesting plot line. my English class was force to read it, and no one liked it. it was too boring. dont waste your time looking for the book.
Teen, 13 years old Written byfireman369 February 22, 2011

I wonder....

My classroom plan's on reading this book but am hearing some bad things and some good things about it am going to come back and see if this is a good book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byadkesalyn February 3, 2011
During his journey Brent learns and begins to build an entire new life. Although this book is not very exciting, it's great for readers who like slow and thoughtful stories :)

Teen, 16 years old Written byMysterious_ballerina January 29, 2011

ehh.....

Ok this book is ok we read it in class and it was boring everyone fell asleep, except in like the third chapter when these two teenage girls are talking and the one is trying to encourge the other by telling her her future in which she has a fulller figure and find a man who is sick from hypothermia (sorry if thats spelled wrong) and to save him she presses her body to his....that was an akward moment in my class funny since my teaacher said "there not doing anything....yet" lol :) I'd say teaches kids not to drink or you may kill somone and have to travel the counrty buliding things.

Teen, 14 years old Written bysmileybear September 6, 2010
i had to read this book for honors english and i couldn't put the book down. i would not let my little sister read it, good book for older kids.

Teen, 13 years old Written byducttape98 September 5, 2010

Don't Waste Your time

Whirligig is an interesting book as far as plot. It's a required reading book for me, so I was forced to push my way through this. All of my classmates agree on one thing: it is dreadfully boring. The writer could have done so much more detail with the unique storyline. If it had been more extensive I would have reconsidered.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMUACKS2uALL September 4, 2010

Whirligig

Sorry, no offense to the author, but I'm a 9th grader and we just had to read this book and...well....no one liked it. It's annoying because at the beginning this guy is completely overly dramatic and sensitive. Everyone knows high school isn't going to be perfect, especially for new kids. But because a girl embarrassed him he decides to kill himself? Sorry but that's beyond stupid.Then some wooden toys are supposed to influence people and their life choices? Really? If I saw a toy in the park, I'd think, "cool," and then forget about it forever. The book doesn't have much going for it anyway. You can tell that the author is probably good because of his writing style, but the book is awful! If I hadn't been forced to read it I would have returned it before the 2nd day, if I checked it out in the 1st place. Do yourself a favor, and don't read it unless you have to. If you are in high school, middle school, etc, then u have enough drama in your life and shouldn't have to put yourself through a story of a random guy's self-destructive course and his guilt from murder and etc.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykitty96 May 5, 2010

It a grate book and i am 14 and i loved it!!!

I just trun 14 and i think that whirlilgig is a grate book now i am doing a big projet on it and i think it going to turn out grate i recommend for you to read it.

Teen, 17 years old Written byWhirligig May 3, 2010

Teen, 13 years old Written bycyurkoski March 23, 2010

awesome lesson-teaching for teens and adults!

This is a wonderful book to have your teenage kids read! its very educational and teaches an important lesson about drinking and driving, and also responsibility and mitureity.

Teen, 15 years old Written byCourtneyRheanne October 26, 2009

Comfused.??

I think this book was a greet message too all ages. Like how he take responsibility on killing lea, he didn't give up, even how hard it was too go around the world and put up whirligigs. But I don't think this book was put together as well as I hoped. It felt like too me, the author just smashed these chapters together. I felt like it was too confusing to fallow. one chapter it would be of Brent and his journey, then too something really random. But that's my opinion, and even if it was too confusing for me too fallow. I still enjoyed it. I really loved the message.!! (:

Teen, 13 years old Written bybobbay August 17, 2009

itas okay for a 10 year old

this boook was stupid it was waste of my time, minutes of my life i will never get back life is to short to waste on this book the author should be ashamed of what they put me through
Kid, 12 years old April 6, 2009

Very Inspiring.

A great book that will inspire many.
Teen, 14 years old Written byhottie101 April 9, 2008