Parent and Kid Reviews on

Our Review

Based on 3 parent reviews

Sort by:

Love it!

I read this book out loud to my 9 and 7 year old . I did not screen it properly and didn't know about the whole family perishing in a wildfire. The book is overall lovely, with rich visual language and wonderful messages. I think the event of her entire family perishing is too harsh for a youth book. I wonder about why this was the choice to create a grief stricken character, surely there are less intense ways. I am putting the age rating at 12+ for this reason. Unless this is something that has happened to a child, making Willodeen a character they can relate to, I have concern that it puts seeds of fear in young children. I modified the language , softening the memories about the fire- such as hearing her family scream as they died. this is a book that is part of DART, from BraveWriter, which is a lovely way to explore the linguistic elements of the book.

My students loved this novel study!

Applegate creates relatable human characters and positively unique animal characters. This novel gives a positive messages about friendship, personal growth/healing, and the conservation of our environment. The main character, Willodeen, is a great role model for young, inquisitive minds. This novel teaches children that nature consists of cause and effect relationships within our ecosystems/food chains. My students and I loved reading this novel together!