Kid reviews for Wishtree

Moving, gentle friendship story tackles anti-Muslim bigotry.

Kid, 9 years old December 15, 2017

A Touching Novel By An Author You Can’t Miss

I had just read Crenshaw in a book club and decided to read this. Parents should know it tackles bigotry and prejudice against Muslims, a tiny bit slow, but a must read for kids.

Kid, 11 years old January 2, 2018

Touching Story

I really enjoyed "Wishtree". This story is told in a tree's perspective and is very unique. It is about friendship and how you can work together to create a solution. Throughout the book, you get to know Red, the wishtree, and his buddy, Bongo the crow. Every year, on May 1st, people hang strips of cloth with wishes on them on the wishtree, in hopes that their wishes will come true. Everything is going well until Francesca, the lady that owns Red, wants to cut him down. Also, meanwhile, Red and his residents, (such as the skunks, the owls, and the raccoons), try to grant Samar's wish, a girl that recently moved in close by. Samar wants a friend, and Red is determined to get her one. This story got more and more interesting throughout the novel and I think it's a touching story.
Kid, 8 years old April 7, 2018

Sad, but good

All of Katherine Applegate's books are slightly sad. No, that's an understatement. But the books are really good. Wishtree is about a tree (it is the narrator) who has a long history, a boy and girl who are the only people to hear the tree's stories, and one person who relates to the tree very well, but wants to cut it down. I personally think all of Applegate's stories have melted my heart. READ THIS BOOK!!!!

Kid, 10 years old February 10, 2018

Amazing

This book is amazing! It has everything you would want in a book like heartfelt stories and great lessons. I really hope you read this book.

Teen, 13 years old Written byioda_n February 9, 2018

Waste of time

The story is unoriginal and the characters are not developed
Teen, 14 years old Written byBurnwishtree888 April 8, 2019

Wishtree

This book is a pretty bad book with underdeveloped characters and a pretty poor plot, it’s message about “bigotry “ is really kinda meh and not really true, the “conflict” in Samar’s character is an overused cliche and is really boring, and the book feels way too fast and needed more time to make its plot better, it’s message a little more convincing, and the events to feel more impactful. It’s books like these what teaches people to like stupid shit like the new Star Wars movies, it’s all based off of politics and that’s why this book sucks. It’s also a pretty empty feeling book, it’s a quick read, and it almost means nothing to the reader