Parent and Kid Reviews on

Age of Empires II: Age of Kings Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 6 parent reviews

Sort by:

Great soundtrack, and emphasizes on importance of strategy. Also brings economics into the picture and teaches the importance of having both a military as well as an economy to support it, for "an army marches on its stomach, or so the old saying goes" :D Also got me interested in learning about the various characters and heroes portrayed in the game as well as their roles in history (Frederick Barbarossa, Genghis Khan, Joan of Arc, Saladin, El Cid, Montezuma, etc) and teaches history quite well. It also manages to follow history (for the most part) and is not too hard for even a beginner player.

Level of violence is not a major concern

Strong points: great music, straightforward controls and gameplay, provokes curiosity about history, various civilizations cater to different gaming styles while still having the same fundamentals Weak points: With the MSN Gaming Zone offline, online matches are difficult to coordinate.

Great game for long play.

This game is more for someone with the patience and thought process of long term games. Friends and I have complained that the game does seem to favor the computer AI, since it has the ability to make multiple selections a human player can't, as well as the rush attacks can be very frustrating. I like that it has some foundation in history and if you take the time to listen to the storylines, it can lead to an interest in actual historical events.

Challenging Game overall

Although the object is to build a society my child uses it to conquer enemies. When people are killed they turn into small skeletons and then disappear after a few minutes. At first I was completely opposed to the game but feel that overall it is a strategic game with less violence than most Saturday morning cartoon shows. My child is 9.

Challenging Game overall

Very historical battle simulation, good for teenagers in high school

This is somewhat challenging game, involving numerous amounts of strategy and reading. This game simulates historic battles and characters, such as Joan of Arc, Ghengis Kahn and Henry V very accurately. I personally never knew how a trebuchet worked until I played this game. This game involves a lot of strategy, and offers a multitude of storylines. If youre looking for a wonderful multiplayer strategy game this is it. There are few games that come close to the level of strategy needed for this game. As far as its multiplayer ability is concerned, it is wonderful, probably the best.