All parent member reviews for Assassin's Creed III

Parent Written byTaCTiCaLxReFLeX November 2, 2012

Honest review

I do not know why people keep saying this game is full of sex.......I have played the whole game through and there just 1 reference to sex, nothing a 5th grader cant handle, the language is not that bad. yes the f-word is said once and the s-word is said a few times but cursing is not common and will not be heard a lot.....mainly because there is not a lot of dialogue in the game
Parent of a 5, 5, 10, and 13 year old Written byopenparent November 8, 2012

AC3

A great game that allows kids to love of history. It is a bit violent, but much can be avoided, it all depends on how one plays the game. Nothing a mature 11 year old can't handle. AC3 does have blood, but it can easily be turned off. Next to NO SEXUAL CONTENT in this game, there is worse in seven year old's TV shows. There is a lot of cultural education in this game, the developers put a huge amount of effort into historical and cultural accuracy. The protagonist is a good role model, as he does what he believes is just, and tries to save innocents. There is a little bit of cursing, one or two uses of the "F Word", and a few uses of s--t. overall a great game.
Parent of a 13 and 14 year old Written byJerrysParents November 10, 2012

Great game one of my top 5

After watching through the first level of this game with my children I was hooked and decided to create my own account and try it out. Once I started playing I became immersed inside the game the graphics are truly wonderful and the gameplay is crisp and magnificent. There is the occasional profanity but not enough to take away from the game and it is nothing a mature ten year old cant handle. As a huge american history lover I absolutely loved this game and found it not only fun to play but great to learn with as well. As having completed the entire game now and ready to redo it I am absolutely fine with my children playing this game. As for the sexuality that people have talked about there is nothing but a mentioning of someone and it is not detailed. The violence in this game isn't anything an 11 year old cant handle so my two sons who are 13 and 14 can easily handle this game. Remember dear fathers out there you might just have to strap yourself in and immerse yourself in the beauty of being in possibly the most important factor in american history... so enjoy because i am 48 and i love this game.
Parent Written byParentsence December 21, 2012

Good game. For 12 years

Well assasins creed 3 is a good game and their is violence but not that bad I recommend it for 10 years and up it has a lot of historic events and the only bad part of the game is the blood but that can be turned off as well as the swearing thanks for your time
Parent Written byBattleVet75 July 3, 2013

The best and biggest in series

This game is the best in the series so far. The single player portion gives players weeks of gameplay, be it the complex, outstanding, extremely long story or playing the wealth of side missions. The violence here is also the most intense and includes a blood system that actually allows the blood to stain the environment( a first for the series). However, the most graphic scenes happen in the cutscenes. For instance, a soldiers leg is severed from a cannon ball, there are two point blank shootings in the head, a captives throat is slit, and two characters throats are stabbed. There are a few sexual references and a scene in which players briefly see a naked woman running out of a characters house. The language is undoubtedly the most explicit of the series. It is an overall excelent game and is ok for 16 and up. Check out my other reviews for the rest of the Assassins Creed games. Hope this helped.
Educator and Parent Written byAnglon November 25, 2012

A Rich Experience

While violent, AC3 is an engrossing game that allows history to come alive for both adults and children. As the parent of two sons who love AC3 - a 10-yr. old (who has opted to turn the blood off) and a 12-yr. old -, I believe the game is suitable for children whose parents talk to them about the issues of identity, morality and racism broached in the game. Furthermore, it offers one of the few experiences in video games from a Native American perspective.
Parent Written byAdviser01 December 21, 2012

Not Really a Bad game...

Assassin's Creed 3 is rated M for mature for: Intense Violence, Blood, Sexual Themes, and Strong Language. My son has this game. he's 13 years old, and this title isn't actually that bad. Assassin's creed 3 revolves around the Revolutionary war. This game is from a Native American Assassin's point of view. The game shows how his mother is killed in a fire lit by a Templar, or an enemy of the Assassin's. You see how he grows into an Assassin. This game really has NO sexual themes, there is just a tiny cut scene that you can skip. However, this game IS from an Assassin's point of view as he fights the British. He uses many weapons, such as a: Tomahawk, Hidden Blades, Rope Darts, Axes, Swords, and basically any weapon that can kill Red-Roats. This game has a bit of language, but it's nothing a kid won't hear in a middle school. Connor, the Native American Assassin, is a pretty positive role-model. he fights for the freedom of his people, and also helps historical figures, such asSamuel Adams, and George Washington. This game should be okay for 13 and up.
Educator Written byFamilyCounselor November 12, 2012

LEARNING

An action packed, thought provoking, period piece.

Assassins Creed has always carried a Mature rating generally for its level of violence but also because the themes presented are complex and of an adult nature. From the hopes of a developing America through freedom, diversity, and compassion to absent-father / son tensions, Connor's experience as a mixed race (British/Mohawk) assassin under the tutelage of an African American mentor speaks to the narrative of the disenfranchised. Ubisoft went to great lengths to portray the protagonist as a multi-faceted character rather than just a stereotype of Native Americans. Subtleties in body langage like Connor's discomfort of physical touch are apparent for those that are looking. Entire cut scenes in his native language also bring a welcome sample of the values of their culture. To the colonists, Connor's idealism is perceived as naive and there are several morally ambiguous moments within the main storyline. As for the gameplay, it is a departure into new territory with naval battles and a different control scheme which takes some time to get accustomed to. Definitely more strategic in the combat mechanic than previous titles as well. The bulk of the game is in the side missions which don't open entirely until Sequence 6-7, many of which are time distractions. However, the most rewarding were the Homesead missions which develop a sense of community and provide significant emotional payoff with the surrogate parent relationship between Connor and his mentor. For those new to the series, there isn't as much backstory as would be desired about the Assassins and there is a very slow start up to the main plot. It is always grounded in a historical setting but taking many liberties, enough to discount the series as a history lesson and more of a "what if" type of scenario. The overall theme of the AC series is that freedom, though often messy with different perspectives and experiences, is to be valued over fascist order. Families can also talk about what freedom may look like to different people. Connor's core definition of it was the safety of his people. What about the colonists or of different communities today? Alternatively, what are some of the guiding influences that the children have outside of their family members? Connor and his biological father had differing values but he was able to find a more positive influence in line with his own.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bygoodveiw March 8, 2013

honest review

its a great game. really educational. A little bit bloody but nothing to violent. There is basicly NO laungauge.nothing a 10 year old cant handle. overall not bad and really great.
Parent Written byjohnknicks22 November 24, 2012

Assassin's Creed 3

Assassin's Creed 3 is a violent game, don't get me wrong. If you feel that your child is responsible enough to handle a game like this, then let them get it. As a parent I was sensitive to my 12 year old son having games such as these because I thought it was too intense. After a lot of begging, he finally talked me into letting him get this one game. After he had been playing the game for a while, I realized he was not having a post-play issue with violence,etc. If you are one of those parents who is like I used to be, I suggest you step out of your comfort zone and give your kid a chance at taking on the responsibility of owning a game like this.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byJohn Locke April 6, 2013

Assassin's Creed review

I personally think that it depends on your child. Most parents (if they knew all about the game) would let their 11 year old play this game. It would only be otherwise if your the type of parent that is really overprotective. With all due respect for those people, I think that kids wont do bad stuff just because they see it. Plus the main character is not a bad role model, just because he has to kill people doesn't mean he is bad. Are all the veterans in the world bad? No! Video games don't "rot the brain" in fact this game is about the revolutionary war it could teach your child about America's rich history. So what if this game is a little violent, you can turn blood off. So what if it swears a little bit, any 8 year old can handle that. I have played the game thoroughly and there may be a reference to sex, but that is it. The people who made the rating had to put that in there because they would be lying even if it is just one reference. Personally I would let my 9 year old play it, but I know other parents are different so I would say 11 or up.
Parent Written byPaulsifer February 14, 2013

I Think CSM's Reviewer Focused a Little too much on the Blood

For the right age, Assassin's Creed III can help with learning about and creating interested in history and moral decisions. If you play the game, and follow the story closely, you'll notice that the Assassin's, as a group, are not blood thirsty killers, but people who try to preserve the freedom of others. Does Conner kill people in this game to achieve this end? Yes. But so did our founding fathers. I also find it interesting how much people focus on the violence, when along with it, you have the option to help others by taking them to the doctor when they've contracted small pox. You also have the option to burn the blankets, pay mortgages so people don't lose their houses, collect pieces of the Pennsylvania Gazette, sell and buy items to vendors, defend citizens from abusive soldiers, and so much more that could help teenagers look at real problems, and show how good it is to stop people like that. Is it bloody? Yes. Is there a little swearing? Yes (I don't remember a single F-word though). But is Conner really not a possible role-model just because he kills people for a greater good? Just like my friends and family in our military, I'd say no.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTiredMom453 December 27, 2012

Assassins Creed 3 reveiw

Yes, the main character is an assassin, but he is fighting for the freedom of America, not just to kill. When my son wanted this game, my first instinct as a mother was to throw it out our apartment window, but he convinced me to give him a trial. As I wached him play, I started to realize that usually, the killing could be avoided. The game takes place during the American Revolution, so there is a lot of historical information as well.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byPaws122 February 7, 2013

Common Sense is Wrong

This game is not only a way to engage kids in history but it also sends a message of perseverance. The main character is a young native American who lost his home and wants revenge, but instead finds the path to help others (through violent means). There is a small amount of swearing, and one mildly disturbing scene, but overall it is a fun game. #NOTE# The Blood Can Be Turned Off
Parent Written byBlueDragon7100 April 19, 2013

Its a Good Game

It is a very good game, that has a lot of history teaching behind it. You do play as an assassin but his goals are not killing innocent people, more of killing important people in the British Army during the American Revolution. There is little swearing, as it takes place in a time when people had more decency than to talk with profanity. There is alcohol and smoking, but its visible in numerous taverns and inns in the game's world. The violence is visible in the many battle scenes in the game. I say anyone under 12 shouldn't play.
Parent Written byTheDad99 January 28, 2013

Assassin's Creed 3

I bought this game for my 10 year old son and he loves it. There is absolutely no sex at all and the blood can be turned off With the screen muted it can be a 7+ game in Europe And 10+ game in other countries. Connor Kenaway main character Is a good guy because he helps a losing team to defeat the British I strongly recommend this game for mature Tweens
Parent Written byskiinglover45 December 11, 2013

ok for mature 13-and-up children.

It is a great game, and although there is lots of violence and blood, I think that if your child is mature enough to handle it an dis about 13 and up, it's fine. as for sexual content, they say the word "sex" and "whore" once. As another review stated, there are "occasional sexual refrences". That's nothing compared to what most kids see daily in movies and prime-time television. again, if you have a 12-14 year old who is mature and can handle violence, then go for it.
Parent Written bya_teachers_view September 30, 2013

I'm a Teacher!

THIS GAME IS GREAT!!! No problem WHAT-SO-EVER!!!! Except for maybe violence, but you can toggle blood off. As a teacher, I love the educational value, in how our patriots get their rights from Britain. The only swears are hell, d_mn, and b_stard. People are also there is a ton of sex, which, frankly, IS BS!!! No sex at all, except the protaginist kissing a girl. BADABOOM! A great game, one of my favs, PERFECT! no reason to not let kids play it. Even postive role models like george washington! Postive messages too!
Parent of a 13 year old Written byDr WTH common sense April 9, 2013

Don't listen to common sense media, just read the reviews by adults

I think that common sense are full of rubbish when it comes to topics such as this. They exaggerate what they say and don't give the full story. For instance, they never mention in multiplayer games about the fact that you can very easily turn off voice chat in all games. Or that in every Assassin's Creed game, you can turn off blood. And in a lot of games you can just turn off dialogue so that you don't hear swear words. And I play this game with my 12 year old son and we play it both very differently. I would ghost my way through a level, using moving carts and haybales, while he would sometimes go through killing everyone. You can play this game killing hardly anyone and if some kills are too graphic, don't kill anybody that way! Duh! I also find this game very historically accurate although there were obviously some mistakes and the twist with Assassins and Templars. I really really enjoy this game and would give it 4.5 stars if I could. I just find that they'd tried to put too much into this one. 9/10
Parent Written bynobodyslistening December 19, 2012

Give it a try.

well this game is better than brotherhood with less sex and you don't assassinate any iconic figures [ the pope ]. turn off blood and mute the volume and the sexual themes are naked body paintings that survived the medivel times. ten theres only violence left I would watch some letsplays before buying it.