While dark and violent, this superhero game is intriguing.

Parent Written byreal game reviews November 19, 2011

Great game, but some concerns... 13 and up

Batman: Arkham City is one of the best games out there. It has amazing graphics and a great dialogue. I, for one, used to love the comic book series when I was a kid, so witnessing them come alive is an amazing thing. Having said that, there are some things to be said about this game. In the comic book series, women villains were usually clad in tight fitting and rather revealing clothing. Because of the accuracy of this game compared to the comics, they did not fail to make this a part of their game. Even so, most PG-13 movies have at least ten times more revealing outfits. If your child has seen movies such as the Fast and Furious movies, or pretty much any romantic comedy that has been made in the past eight years, this is nothing compared to those. Also along with the sexual issues, there is some swearing. I think i recall one "F" bomb, and several words such as "h**l" and "d**n". This is, once again, nothing compared to any PG-13 movies. I would go as far as saying that the movie Speed Racer had more language than this game. Batman never curses, but his evil counterparts do occasionally. The game is based on violence, like almost every other game, but it is in true Batman style. You never kill anyone throughout the game, although you do knock them unconscious. Once again (again), violence portrayed in PG-13 movies is much more intense than in this game, so if your child is allowed to watch those types of action movies, there is not much difference from them. There is some smoking and consumption of alchohal, but this is not terrible for your child, unless they do everything that they witness on video games. Over all, this is a fantastic game with a great storyline. Actually, now that I think about it, this game is just like the Dark Knight, just with more villains. It is fun and good for all the ages of 13 and up, and a few mature 12 year olds. Have a great time enjoying this game.
Parent Written byNavyVet December 23, 2011

Surprisingly bad language in common use.

I bought this game because of the ESRB rating. What a mistake that was. Don't get me wrong: gameplay is exceptional and this game merits every bit of the extremely high ratings it's been getting. Where this game goes wrong is the language. In a "T for Teen" game, I really expected I may hear the "D***" word on rare occasion, but no, this is not the case. I know this site takes a dim view on using actual language, so I will be circumspect. The most common words in use are actually "Bit**" and "A**" and those two are often used together, such as "I'm gonna kick that bit##'s a##." I would probably be less harsh about my review of this game if that sort of language wasn't so FREQUENT. Play for 15 minutes, and you're almost guaranteed to hear that type of language 2-3 times. This presents a problem for me, not because I'm a prude with language, but because of the context in which it's used. Both my 7 and 10 year old's probably know the B-word, and they most certainly know the A-word, and I'm not particularly protective about "bad" language. Heck, I think I personally taught them all the words so they would be aware of their existence. But knowing of the existence of such things and immersing oneself in a steaming vat of it are two different things. No one in my family, direct or extended, would allow another to talk about people that way because it's both ignorant and disrespectful. Immersing yourself in it under the guise of "entertainment" is certainly no better.
Parent Written byBatman Arkham City December 13, 2011

Good for 11& Up

I let my 11 year old play this and i played it with him and it was good and i'm not that big of a batman fan but my son is. So i bought the game and these are the things you need to know.1.Language they do say the h the inmates frequently but i found that you can mute them they do say the b twice two-face says it and some guard.2 violence batman has one move that's cruel where he kicks a guy in the nut's and he punches guys but never kills.3 Sex catwoman does show a little bit but she's only in one part where u save her and that's it.4 Role models batman is a good role model where he saves and protects. So overall i think it's good for 11 and up but if your son want's this game i let my son play it but i played it more because if something really bad came up i would shut it off but it was ok.
Parent Written bygodofwarqoota October 26, 2013

1oo out of 100

this is awesome best game i also have arkham origins it is sweet
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byANTI-PARANOIA August 27, 2012

better than asylum

THIS GAME IS.........................WOW! SO WHAT CATWOMAN A TIGHT FITTING SUIT? ITS NOTHING NEW TO HER CHARACTER! EVERYONE KNOWS THIS! it isn't revealing its tight fitting. Well, there's one point out of the way, lets go onto the next. the action and gameplay is better and more intense, the story is deeper and more fun to get into, and overall, just one of the best games i've played in a while! the cussing isn't anything over pg13 reccomend this game to all batman fans! you won't have nightmares or be scarred for life so please don't exaggerate it
Parent of a 3, 4, and 6 year old Written byZero Tolerance February 9, 2012

Best superhero game ever

Brief review, because this is a popular game that everyone should play, anyway. I could see how the "life nudes" sign is more than suggestive, but Harley Quinn and Catwoman in their outfits...well, have you ever been on a college campus in the spring when the clothes come off? And in the winter, women are currently wearing yoga pants no matter how endowed they are. May as well be a catsuit. Yes, there is language. The most offensive is the usage of "B---," particularly in reference to Catwoman (ironic, too because she's a CAT). The positive message, besides defeating evil, is the fact that Batman is one of FEW heroes, like Spider-Man, who does not lethal force under any circumstance.
Educator and Parent Written byTagoro July 22, 2013

Not a danger to kids

I think that if your child can handle the Batman movies in the Dark Knight series, there is nothing wrong with allowing them to play
Adult Written bycoolguy121 November 12, 2011

best game ever

i played it and not scary as the first game
Parent Written byhappypeopleclan July 22, 2012

ok for 13+

the swearing is anything you would hear on TV the sexual references are girls who show cleavage and the rest is just violent hand to hand combat, a mild amount of blood shown, and some people shoot at you. I think anyone 13 and up and anyone from 11 to 12 should should be careful.
Adult Written byJesseV April 28, 2012

Great Game

I'm not a parent so I can't accurately deem what's inappropiate or not but I would just like to say that when Batman first appeared was a dark character and the only reason his character was "lightened up" during the '50s and '60s was because of the controversies involving comic books back then. He was always intended to be a dark character, however, that does not mean that children cannot enjoy him. I think parents just need to know what and what not their children can handle. The story, graphics, voice cast, and all around gameplay of this game are amzing and it is definitely worth playing.
Adult Written byGamerGirl36 April 9, 2012

Amazing Game

Batman Arkham City is an excellent game for both teenagers and parents. It is very dark and gritty, capable of holding the attention of adults without being completely unfriendly towards older children. There is murder and violence in the game; however, your character (Batman/Catwoman) never kill. There is some concern with Catwoman and the other female characters being provacatively dressed. When playing as Catwoman, the villians imply sexual intentions towards her without directly stating it. This might be too intense for younger players, as well as the sound effects of bones breaking and the political prisoners being tortured. Of course, you are the hero in the game, and you never participate in the villianry. This is reinforced by being rewarded for protecting innocents and going out of the main plotlines to do so. Villian motivations are vast, making each of the major baddies interesting and unique. The number of objectives in the game are vast, with countless hours in both the main game and its sidequests. Controls seem smooth; however, being trapped by a crowd of enemies can be frustrating if they attack you during a finishing move. Controls for gliding/Catwoman's whip make travel quick, and this can lead the player to more opportunities for saving innocents. As with games aimed towards teen audiences, know your child before purchasing. Monitor play periodically and be open to discussing any of the darker themes and motivations of the game.
Adult Written bywehavecook1es July 8, 2012

Epic

Parents listen when I say this: Batman does not kill anyone. The violence is mostly bloodless and aside from that there's not much to worry about. Kids will begin to see that Batman is one of the best role models in gaming period. I won't spoil the ending, but you should go out and get this game yourself.
Adult Written byWatch out May 12, 2012

Not too bad

There is some language but I'm sure your kids here it every day in school. There is violence throughout the game. The game is also has a dark theme to it. However, it's nothing your kid can't handle.
Adult Written byToWhomitMayConcern July 4, 2015

A Game of the Year With Little to no Killing

This game does not deserve its "15 year old" rating on this site. Batman's one rule is that he does not kill his opponents. Throughout the game, the worst you do to criminals, even armed criminals, is knock them unconscious. In fact, only at the end of the game does even a single person die, making it fair more dramatic. Ironically, games like GTA V with strip clubs and gunning down hundreds only receive a "13 year old" ranking. But past the poor choice on this site, this game is well worth the money. A surprisingly deep and complex story for comic book characters, Arkham City provides fluid, dynamic, visceral combat, while also allowing players to actually feel like the Dark Knight himself. Characters are unique, vivid, and memorable, there are plenty of side missions to do, and the world feels alive. Well worth the money, and certainly safe for any competent 13 year old, if not younger.
Educator Written byjackel65 November 6, 2011

No no inapro-pro

it is pretty narley and may not be appropriate for 11-10 year olds. other wise great game
Adult Written bydioptric March 27, 2012

Great game but some concerning material for younger kids

First off Arkham City is a terrific game and received quite a few awards. The violence is nothing that isn't on prime time shows on ABC or NBC. Punching and shooting with some blood. The game is not gory at all with blood seen only rarely. Minor swearing is common but heard often (B*tch D*amn and hell.) There is a clear line between good and evil. The villain's actions are clearly shown as being wrong. Batman is admirable and always takes the right path even when his life is on the line. Sexual themes and innuendos are seen rarely will probably go over younger children's heads. Older children have heard stuff at school far worse. Children who can handle Nolan's films should play this game
Parent Written byJohn M. November 11, 2016

Great game

Although the violence and swearing may be a problem if you have a teen aged 12 or over this is a great choice
Parent of a 16 year old Written bydracoblade316 September 18, 2012

the greatest superhero game yet

A must have for older batman fans. very fun with several puzzles, but has violence, constant mild language, and some suggestive content.
Adult Written byShion October 25, 2011

Batman: Arkham Asylum: Superhero Game Definitely Knocks out the Competition

Let me get the parent stuff out of the way first: just because it's Batman doesn't mean your child should play it. This game has extremely dark and grisly references, especially from villains Victor Zsasz and Joker. It's also a good bit on the violent side, has some strong language for a T-rated game, includes suggestive clothing and references, and depicts tobacco use and alcohol references. With that said, this game is serious game of the year potential. The combat is near flawless and the sheer amount of stuff to do baffles me. This is the definition of a perfect game. Like the Pause label says, "Know your child." If I had a fourteen-year-old and he or she was mature enough, I would let him or her give this a try with some supervision.
Adult Written byMark21 January 17, 2016

Its dark but that's about it

The game is on a dark, mature tone but the fighting is just punching and kicking. That said, its one of the best stealth/combat games ever.