All teen and kid member reviews for BioShock Infinite

Teen, 14 years old Written byARaggedMuffin April 2, 2013

An excellently crafted masterpiece with an intriguing and thought-provoking story

This is my first review for CSM and I'm not really sure how I'm going to do it. I think a good starting point would be to describe what families should know about the game. Positive messages: Bioshock: Infinite deals with some very strong themes: racism, patriotism and religion being the biggest. In the world of Columbia, white Americans rule the proverbial roost. Black people, Asians and Irish people are all seen to be mistreated in one way or another, from torture to separate bathrooms to shanty towns. The reason I've put all this under positive messages is that none of these things are ever presented as good. Our main character, Booker, is not from Columbia and does not share its racist views, and the second protagonist, Elizabeth, is hugely opposed to them (Booker doesn't particularly care, he just wants to get the job done). I should note that violence in the game is presented from Booker's point of view as something that is sometimes necessary; he engages in it frequently yet takes no pleasure in it. Positive role models: Elizabeth is very much a moral compass for Booker. She is a very strong female character, something that is happily becoming more common in video games, with some very strong opinions that are tested as the game goes on. She is horrified at Booker's approach to violence - he treats it as something that he'll partake in to get the job done, whereas... [SPOILER] ...she kills a single person in the whole game (as far as I am aware, I have completed most of the story), with a very good motivation for doing so (her victim was about to murder a young boy), and is horrified at herself afterwards. [SPOILERS END] Violence: I'll say it now: Bioshock: Infinite is a very, very violent game. This cannot be denied. Booker shoots his way through enemy after enemy to complete his objectives. The primary weapons are firearms: blood is seen when enemies are hit, and a headshot with a sniper rifle will result in decapitation. However, this is commonplace for a First Person Shooter: the melee weapon is not. There is not much emphasis on melee in B:I. A single button is dedicated to it, for when enemies get a little too close. Booker's melee weapon is a metal gauntlet covered in spinning hooks. Normally, a press of the melee button will have Booker swing his arm at the nearest enemy. A quick splash of blood and they are wiped off the screen. However, holding the melee button when facing an enemy on the verge of death will bring a different result: Booker will execute them in gruesome ways using his gauntlet. He may trap their head between two hooks, then spin them, decapitating them, or twist them, breaking their neck. He may plunge the hooks into their stomachs and then spin the hooks, resulting in blood spattering the screen (I infer that he is grinding up their insides, but this is never stated or shown). This is just a sample of the melee finishers you'll see in the game. However, it is also worth noting that the opportunity to use these attacks is very rare and completely avoidable if you wish it. Booker's first kill, perhaps the most unpleasant one in the game, also involves this gauntlet. A police officer holds one over him threateningly, clearly about to kill him with it, at which point Booker grabs another officer's head and pushes his face onto the spinning hooks, something that, in reality, would grind his face into mincemeat. The man's head is shown from behind as this done to him, and blood is seen flying from the attack. After the fact, the man's face can be seen for a split second - it is covered in blood, but, as I would expect, no other injury is visible. Let's put that down to video-game logic. In short, the game has a lot of very bloody violence, but no gore can be seen - no guts are visible at any point. Sex: No sex scenes take place. The only remotely sexual thing I've seen at this point is a dress Elizabeth changes into (you do not see her change) at one point, which displays ample cleavage. Nothing to worry about here. Language: English. Ahahahahahaha, I'm so funny. There is a small amount of swearing in this game, but if memory serves me correctly there is nothing more offensive than 'sh-t'. Swearing is sparingly and realistically, not tossed about willy-nilly like in certain games I could mention. Consumerism: No product placement at all. As it is set in a city, there are some advertisements for fictional products, but no real-world products are seen in any capacity. Drinking, drugs and smoking: The player can eat and drink various items throughout the game world. This includes alcohol, but it is in no way necessary or encouraged. The alcohol has the exact same affect as other food and drink, except for one humorous detail I noticed: collecting several bottles of alcohol within a short space of time results in the screen going blurry for a few seconds. Several characters can be seen drinking in bars. No drugs. Safety and privacy: Bioshock: Infinite is an offline and fully safe game. Now that all of that is out of the way, here's my actual review. Bioshock Infinite is, first and foremost, beautiful. There is no denying that. The world of Columbia is a well-crafted and lovingly detailed city, and one of my favourite parts of the game is the first hour, which is mostly spent exploring a large part of the city which has similarities to, oddly enough, Disney Land. This sounds odd, but it works perfectly once you're playing the game. Of course, just as we don't judge a book by its cover, we don't judge a game by its graphics. Bioshock: Infinite has a story that is very well told and well written. You won't find a character more honestly likeable than you will Elizabeth, and, unusually for an FPS, the player character is actually a character, rather than a floating head with a gun attached. The writer does a good job of surprising you, too. First, the player is presented with a beautiful city that seems more like a Utopia, but soon the rug is taken out from under you and you discover the horrific truths behind it. There is some padding in the middle, but sometimes this is necessary if you want a game of decent length. The gameplay works perfectly, too. Gunplay is simple and easy to get to grips with, and Elizabeth is the best sidekick you could ask for: she stays out of the way, doesn't steal your kills like a certain follower I could mention *cough*Lydia*cough* and throws you helpful items as required, all while moving the plot along. It's rare to see a character like this in a video game. In summary, Bioshock Infinite is an excellently crafted masterpiece with an intriguing and thought-provoking story. I would say that it is fine for ages fourteen and up, as long as you can stomach some of the bloodier moments.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygamereviewer13 March 28, 2013

VERY good game

wow, well done common sense should change your name to idiot sense though because first of all the violence is not near as bad as everyone makes it just turn it off if it offends you, the language, what language theres barely anything that the main character says, but anyway the story goes like this, you play as a white virgo named Booker Dewitt a tough and witty guy who never kills mindlessly, and only kills in self defense and does begin to question what he is doing during the middle of the game and if its the best thing to do. booker is sent to columbia (a floating city in the sky) to rescue elizabeth, a kind loving character who will help booker in any way if he needs it and does not enjoy his killing but has to bear it because she knows there is a reason, anyway as booker begins to rescue elizabeth, more and more unfolds from bookers and elizabeths back story making it a great story for the player, the game is action packed, and actually has christian messages in it too. no educational value? i think not, it discusses immigration, the boxers rebellion and american exceptionalism throughout the story and is in very high detail. as for the gameplay it is great and addicting, i look foreward to future bioshock's. in my opinion let your kid play the game if you think its okay, and theres really not much to worry about with this game
Teen, 13 years old Written byorangeman2027 March 29, 2013

Bioshock Infinate pocketsized

Bioshock Infinate is one of the best games i've ever played. Despite what this website says there is DEFINATLY no sexual content in this game. There is alot of blood and violence though but its not realistic like Call Of Duty or Medal Of Honor. This is a completly different game to the other Bioshock games becuse its high in the air instead of at the bottom of the ocean and its a fresh new storyline.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheburn April 16, 2015
LEARNING

Bioshock a better FPS than cod and halo combined

It's a great game, hands down. I got it for free thru xbox gold B). Kinda gory with blood but VERY mild swears, hooking story and real life application with the Racial tension. Trust me won't regret getting this one. Best part, no sexual stuff!! Have fun with this one. If your cool with kids playing halo you'll be cool with kids playing this
Teen, 17 years old Written byJester™ April 9, 2013

Fantastic Story-Driven Game is Excessively Violent

Cutting to the chase, Bioshock Infinite is a story-heavy action/adventure game that takes place in the early 20th Century in the floating city of Columbia. The biggest issue is violence; Bioshock Infinite is one of the most violent games I have ever played which is really disappointing because the story is stunning and is only hindered by the graphic violence of the gameplay. The most horrific example is about 15-30 mins into the game (depending on if you're rushing or not) when Booker smashes a guards face onto the spinning skyhook (a tri-hook bladed tool used for transport and melee combat) causing the immediate environment to be covered in blood and the guards face mangled, twisted and gory. This was really shocking to see, considering after the event you can see the body of the dead guard on the ground in a puddle of blood, his brains and insides of his skull visible on his mangled face. Other graphic sequences play out when electric or fire abilities are used on enemies and their skin melts away leaving a skeleton that melts to ash. I've listed smoking/drugs/drinking as a concern because players are given the choice to consume alcohol and cigarettes to restore health/salts (salts are like mana; they power your special abilities). Overall the story is amazing, and that is the only thing that kept me playing in spite of the violence. To be fair to the developers, the violence is a strong part of the story and serves to develop Elizabeth's and to define Booker's characters. Overall Bioshock Infinite is an outstanding example of the story telling capabilities of video games and is a bright light for the genre amidst the multitude of pointless shooters and excessively violent games. Bioshock Infinite's story shouldn't be missed, but players should be prepared to stomach graphic, bloody violence regularly. (*NOTE* The Australian (OFLC) classification of Bioshock Infinite is MA15+ for Strong Fantasy Violence). Jester's Rating 8.5/10
Teen, 13 years old Written byBookerDeWitt123 March 26, 2016

Common Sense Media always gets it wrong

First of all, this game is absolutly AMAZING!!! Common Sense Media is so wrong about this game its not even funny. Sex!? 3/5!? What!? There is so little sexual content in this game its not even an issue. They should have given it 1/5. The main problem with this game is easily violence. But does it diserve a 5/5? Probebly. There is a LOT of violence in this game and most of the violence is pretty bloody. Booker DeWitt, (the main character) uses a large arsenal of weapons to kill his enemys. There isn't much language in this game. The worst thing they say is b**ch, but the language is so infrequent its barly a problem, and seriously?! 0/5 for positive role models?! What?! Yes Booker does kill a lot of people but its made pretty clear that he does not enjoy it at all. This game also has some positive messages to. This game is very anti-rasist as well as well as fun to play. Over all, I think this game is really not that bad at all.
Teen, 17 years old Written byColonelClucken April 7, 2013

Honest review (Beware for spoilers)!

This review seems to be completely biased towards the negative side of things the whole game is directed towards the player making the correct (or incorrect) choices to affect the game play. Yes there is a scene where white people are encouraging you to throw a baseball at a married foreign of an Irishman and African american women but you can also choose to the baseball at the racist announcer dictating the outcome of the game! Also this game as stated is set in 1912 before racial thoughts were thought to be wrong, allowing your child to be guided with parental supervision can show how the themes encourage learning.The main character "Booker DeWitt" is shown as a catalyst for the changes going on within Columbia an unstoppable force if it may but we are shown the reverse of him in the form of the other main character "Elizabeth" who despises the use of violence but after being kept in a cage for the first 16-18 years of her life (her age is unspecified) she at the end of each firefight is shown with visible tears in her eyes and harsh words for the player.As for the use of cigarettes and alcohol is barely noticed when rummaging for supply's you normally just take anything you can and leave what you cant pick up. As for the citizens discussing matters of sexuality you are able to turn them off in the options! the learning potential of these games is phenomenal with a story which quickly enthralls the player and an amazing setting which astounds the eyes.
Kid, 12 years old December 29, 2013

Awesome, but Gory. Please Read

This game is amazing no doubt but there are a couple of things that can really a) offend certain people or b) shock parents and children. There is lots of blood and gore in this game i.e (if you shoot an enemy normally, a little blood will squirt out from their body as it would if you cut yourself. If you use a special melee attack on enemy's, your character will shove his melee weapon through the characters throat or stomach with the blade on the end and activate the blade, thus, blood sporting out everywhere including the screen.) Some swearing may be heard throughout the game (f**k, s**t and sometimes d*mn). The graphics in this game add to the blood making it look more realistic. The drug use refers to the fact that you can search boxes, crates, trashcans ect. and sometimes you could encounter a pack of cigarettes or a bottle of champaign or wine, beer even. You can choose whether to drink it smoke it or just leave it. No multiplayer is introduced in the game and it probably never will be. Although Colombia is a beautiful place, there are dark things happening around and in it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byYourManJazzie April 21, 2015

A must play

If your teen is looking for a game driven by it's story then this is an essential game to own. The execution melee attacks are brutal and there are a few gory cutscenes but the executions became near impossible to use in the heat of battle, and in the mid to late game they have high health forcing you to avoid using them. The story and it's characters are both engaging and thought provoking, making it one of the greatest games ever - period
Teen, 13 years old Written byArmed penguin March 12, 2015
LEARNING

Tackles complex and thoughtful ideas

Parents, all you need to think about is in what way will your child see the racial/philosophical ideas tackled in this game. Will they see it in a provocative way, or In an offensive and discriminative way? This depends on if your child is mature or not. This game has a lot of though going in to it if they see the ideas in a good way. There is a lot of language and violence throughout the deep, original, witty, provocative, and genius story progressing through the sky city of Columbia in 1912.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycolew1 February 18, 2015
LEARNING

People focus only on the bad.

WARNING SPOILERS!!! There is blood and violence in the game. The surrounding look very real but the people in the game look like cartoons. Just because the main character kills people doesn't make the player want to kill someone in real life. When I played it I really only payed attention to the positive messages that the game sends. In these reviews people are only paying attention to the negatives Here are the spoilers!!! In the end of the game you find out that the main character gave away his baby 20 years earlier and the whole point of the game is to make it up to his daughter because he wasn't there when she was a child. It was really sweet and it shows that if you ever had a child you should care for it and not leave one parent to deal with the child. In the game he doesn't want to abandon his child but someone takes her from him. In real life it's sad but people do abandon their children.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySaad1Khan November 17, 2014
Teen, 13 years old Written byMeeo12 July 19, 2014

Great Game For Any FPS Players!

I enjoy this game very much and is very entertaining. This game consists of violence, yes, and that is nearly why it is rated how it is. You have the ability to shoot and hit your enemies to get rid of them. There is no sexual content in this game from what I have seen, as yes, they do cuss, they say d**m and s**t, but it is not any worse then I have heard an probably anyone my age. You can drink beer and smoke, but that your character could do it with an instant. There is some racial content in it, but it is not as bad as it sounds and most kids can understand racism. I believe that any teen has the maturity to play this game.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBioHazard July 8, 2014

Best F****** Game EVER!!!!!!!!!!

This game might be gory, but its graphics and other stuff are outstanding.
Kid, 11 years old July 3, 2013

best game i have ever played

first off this is the best game I ever played. second, of coarse theirs violence and language not a lot of language its as bad as a PG -13 movie and some sexual references but you can avoid it by not listening to the audio recordings late in the game and [spoilers] when your guy booker trys to find the third tear [a rip in the fabric in space and time] tell your kid not to listen to it. now for positive messages and role models it deals with tough subjects like racism and other stuff and for role models you are booker dewitt a man with a troubled past a war hero in the battle of wounded knee he isn't really the best role model but he is not proud he did and for Elizabeth she is a good role model she was locked In a tower for all her life until booker helps her escape and she is smart beautiful and strong willed woman and hates racism. I give this five stars and think any 11 year old can handle it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byswagster15 March 31, 2013

Excellent Game, Not as Bad as "M" Rating Suggests.

I think the game Bioshock Infinite is a wonderful creation. Kids can learn from the role model of Booker DeWitt, he puts his life on the line for the good of his female companion: Elizabeth. Most say the violence is an issue, and I can agree with that, but I think most young teens will be able to handle it. Most of the time it is gun combat, but rarely there is some hand to hand, that is where the real violence is, but as I said earlier it is rare. As for the language there is nothing that a 12 year old hasn't heard before mostly s**t and the occasional f-bomb. The story-line can teach your child that racism is wrong, and the effects it has on people, it can also teach them about extreme religion. There are various elements to this game that require you to think, there is a puzzle solving element to this game also. In conclusion this game is not as bad as the "M" rating suggests or the common sense review. Honestly if you raised a mature tween or early teenager that can handle some violence and knows not to repeat curse words you should be fine.
Kid, 11 years old June 12, 2016

Bioshock infinite review

Bioshock infinite is a game that you play man named Booker Dewitt and he is in debt the only way to rescue a girl named Elizabeth for all the debt to go away. The a lot of violence but it is a little bit cartoon like, swearing is not as bad as the other games, subtances are medium, their are mature messages but some are good but some you can not follow. But it is for mature 12 years old.
Teen, 17 years old Written byjordyjohnson June 8, 2016

0 for consumerism?

Did they even play the bioshock series? Literally the whole series is about American consumerism.
Teen, 16 years old Written byLink200099 March 12, 2016

Bioshock is the new Animal Farm

Bio shock is very violent, but the messages in the game is just as similar as reading animal farm. It tells a real historical problem, and shows what a little power can do to America. The game is just perfect in every way. The only thing you need to worry is the violence, but it tackles racism, patriasim, and religion very well. Kids who are learning about history would love to play this game to know how deep it gets.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDesembruh November 21, 2015
LEARNING

It all depends how mature you are, not the age.

It all depends how mature the player is, not how old they are. And yes, Bioshock Infinite is BRUTAL and alot of points. But I find those points pretty amazing. While some overprotective parents ban their kids from playing this game because they think it will be corrupt them. Really, the maturity matters. At least it isn't online, so they'll not get any abuse from other people. And when I mean brutal, I MEAN brutal. Like a skyhook(3-4 spinning hooks) jammed into a guards face(flesh and everything, blood= alot of it.) Reactions to it online are great :) Mind you, never too much violence.