Kid reviews for Bloodborne

Wildly difficult and very bloody RPG rewards perseverance.

Teen, 14 years old Written bysomething_nice June 16, 2015

Bloodborne lives up to its name!

As a long time "Souls" fan (I've beaten Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Dark Souls 2 several times), I was very excited to play the newest game by developer From Software. This game is amazing, without a doubt one of the greatest games of at least the last decade. As for the content, while Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are also rated M, this game is much, much bloodier, and much "scarier". It's obviously not for younger kids, but I think most mentally stable, clearheaded teenagers could handle it fine, as long as they are patient enough for the game's somewhat unforgiving difficulty. On the back of the game's box it says "Face Your Fears". I think this sort of sums up the essence of Bloodborne's brutal difficulty, over-the-top bloody violence, and terrifying lycanthropic and Lovecraftian creatures. It's all about patience, practice, and ultimately overcoming your fears and nightmares by facing them head on, in the best way possible--with giant axes and guns.

Teen, 16 years old Written byVarsus Osvourn March 31, 2015

Agree to disagree

While I agree that this game is not for younger audiences (excluding me cause I'm a reviewer), the game doesn't have any privacy or safety issues. By saying that a game has privacy and security issues, you're saying that the game can find out actual info about who you are. Leaving messages for other players is intended to assist people who are stuck. This game doesn't aim to satisfy the player through combat, (although it does, quite well) in fact it's the opposite. The game aims to frustrate the player through combat, but to satisfy the player when they overcome that challenge. I personally love violent games, so this game is perfect for me. However, I would've hated this game if they didn't add blood, and the reason for that is because it takes away realism, which a lot of games sorely lack. With realism, the game takes a step closer towards being like a real-life scenario, without becoming reality. If you dislike blood in video games, don't get it. If you like challenges, then buy it, if you want. That concludes my review for Bloodborne, see you next time.
Kid, 11 years old October 26, 2016

Bloodborne

When I played Bloodborne I thought that it was fairly bloody, but if your kid isn't squeamish and mature enough I think they should play it. I think the fact that the game is stellar and wouldn't need blood to still be good, so I think the quality outranks the blood. But at the end of the day it is still your choice and I hope this review helped make your decision.
Teen, 16 years old Written byadude September 10, 2017

A true masterpiece

Now this is a videogame. Bloodborne is a testament to what a game can be, it's beautiful, haunting, thrilling, and a whole host of other positive adjectives. I've often been heard saying that the hardest part about Bloodborne is choosing my favorite part. Every time I think I settle on the gameplay I remember the art design, then the music, the atmosphere, the spot on perfect look of the game, everything about it has been fine tuned to perfection. It's hard, yes, but, unlike a lot of the souls series from which Bloodborne was spawned, it really is never unfair. Once you get a hold of the game's mechanics, there's nothing else like it in the medium. You'll be flying through attacks, nailing countershock times, and basically being an all around bada** Hunter. Bloodborne is equal parts terrifying and compelling, a seamless marriage of minimalistic storytelling and fluid gameplay. The steampunk, victorian style is glorious, the shrouded story truly gripping, the bosses are tragic and epic, the music is honestly some of the greatest music ever to be put to a disc period, videogame or otherwise. This is one of my favorite games of all time, and, if you give it a chance, it'll probably be one of yours as well.

Teen, 15 years old Written bySirSoleil August 8, 2016

Gory and creepy

First of all, Bloodborne is extremely violent. You kill all sorts of beasts with saws, swords, guns, hammers, and spears, all while fountains of blood spray from enemies. Some enemies are quite human, and you can literally rip their hearts out.l via a gruesome visceral attack. Once you get past the gratuitous violence, you see quite disturbing enemies later in the game. These include a giant monster made of dismembered limbs, disturbing human/insect hybrids that jump on your character, and hard to describe enemies known as "winter lanterns" (google it). There is also a general atmosphere of darkness and hopelessness. The game is also quite difficult, with hard hitting enemies and unintuitive progress routes. Half of the game content is pretty well hidden, and I recommend using a wiki to get the most out of this game. Once you get into it, the combat is amazing, and the game world is dripping with atmosphere. Still, it is easy to get frustrated, so caution is advised.

Teen, 13 years old Written bydarkthrone October 1, 2017

Makes you want to pull your teeth out

- Never let your kid play this game if they have anger issues. - This violent game is very difficult and is very anger inducing when you die, since you lose all of your Blood Echos. (Currency in the game.) Geysers of blood shoot out from enemies when you hit them, creating thin bools of blood on the ground. Some enemies can be really frightening to younger people, like The One Reborn, Vicar Amelia, The Witch of Hemwick, etc. Some messages state to face your fears and to never be afraid. I would recommend this game to anyone who is looking for a great challenge in the video game world.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMr. Grimm August 28, 2016

Great game!

I loved this game! If you liked the Souls games, you'll like this one even more, and it even improves on the Souls games by having a much more obvious story, so if you like more story oriented games, you'll have no trouble enjoying this game (though you have to look a little for the full story). Now that you know I like this game, it does bear saying that yes, this is an extremely violent, quite scary game, where one attack lets you shove your hand through enemies bodie to deal huge damage. Iffy for 12 to 14, but above that you should be fine. Be prepared to die, as with all from software games, and also know that this game is much more tense than other souls games. A lot of the time, I was afraid to start playing, knowing how it would affect me, but I also have a weak stomach, so, yeah. Also you should know that while the blood is bad, it's also unrealistic, I mean, I've looked it up, and just slashing someone with a sword, even a saw on a stick, wouldn't create such a huge waterfall of blood, so if that helps you, there it is. Sorry for the long, maybe rambly review, again, I highly reccomend this game.

Teen, 15 years old Written bycwm939 May 22, 2017

Put some time aside for this thrilling, gothic title.

The first thing that must be said about Bloodborne is that it is hard. Very hard. As in you'll be stuck in the first area for at least a week. However, once you master the controls and combat mechanics, it becomes one of the most exciting challenges you can face on the PS4. The world is dark, treacherous, and strangely beautiful. Each hideous beast you slay will feel like an accomplishment in itself. I haven't beaten Bloodborne quite yet, but am very excited for times to come.

Teen, 14 years old Written byRikard Tresko June 19, 2016

Teen, 14 years old Written byBam9099887 April 3, 2016

BLOOD!!

This is an amazing game similar to dark souls. It is extremely challenging and fun. However every hit sends huge splashes of blood across the environment, by the end of a fight your character is often coated in blood. There is also a move which, when done correctly your character shoves his hand into the monsters chest causing waves of blood to go everywhere.

Teen, 15 years old Written byDevilWarrior February 15, 2019

Gory and hard video game who is very fun to play

This game isn't too explicit despite that blood is a reccurent element in the game,enemies bleed,the players can drink bottles of blood as medicine,but nothing more brutal. The gameplay is easy to learn despite the difficulty of the game.
Teen, 15 years old Written byWheatley1 July 22, 2018

Difficult, yet fantastic game is very violent

Bloodborne is a very difficult action/rpg by FromSoftware, the makers of the Dark Souls Trilogy. However this game is even more violent as massive spurts of blood release when you or an enemy is hit. This game is partially horror so there are plenty of extremely disturbing scenes that you aren’t soon to forget. Some of the lore of the game is very mature and disturbing as well. No cussing and the atmosphere is far from sexual despite a few references. But I think teens should be able to handle the violence