Parent reviews for Call of Duty: Black Ops

Superb but violent shooter is definitely for adults only.

Parent of a 13-year-old Written bysentry reccomen... November 13, 2010

Black Ops... not as violent as you think it is.

At first, when I bought it for my 13 year old son, I believed this game would be "way" to violent, but after watching this game it is definitely not what I thought it was. Let me touch upon a few points which separate this game from other Call of Duty titles.

1. There is no drug references or use
2. This game has far less gore and blood then Modern Warfare 2... further more there is a setting in the game to turn of blood and gore permanently - with this feature on, I believe this game could hold the T for Teen ESRB rating.
3. This game is quite true to the Vietnam war time line, so kids could learn first hand about that.
4. Like blood and gore, language can be turned off too!

Educational Value
Parent of a 17-year-old Written bySircjalot July 26, 2018

Arguably the best Call Of Duty game! Being that it is such a good game, does it mean that kids should play this game? NO!

I would rate this 18+ unless you changed the gore and swearing in the settings, then I'll recommend it for 13-15 year-olds.
Being a war game, there is a lot of violence to be expected. In the campaign there's constant shootings and blood gushing, and if you shoot someone to the head, you'll see bits of brain matter with access blood gushing out. Sometimes with certain high power guns, you could blow off a limbs "only in the campaign and zombie mode." You can also shoot civilians, though if you shot to much, you'll have to restart the section of the mission again! also there is constant swearing, the F word was said around 50 times throughout the campaign missions. The campaign mode is the most brutal part of the game, but the most goriest would have to go the zombies. As you try to fend for yourself againsts countless of zombies, you can blow their heads,arms,legs off with a high powered weapon. You could even blow half of their bodies off with a grenade! If you make it to a certain level, you will have to fight off zombie dogs "hell hounds." Which is very instance and scary! The multiplayer is less brutal. There's no decapitated arms or legs. Just access blood when fighting. THE GOOD thing though in
this game is that there is no nudity or sex scenes or strong drug abuse.

Adult Written bypickoleslove April 30, 2015

cool but very bloody

This game has bad language like f**k s**t and c**t and c**k and any other word. Blood is bad guys arms and legs fall of when u use a shotgun or mini gun. And their is bad sences as taking a guys eye ball out and taking a guys toung out I say 16 and up. And pepole drink beer and they smoke once a guys smokes drugs so that's it.

Adult Written bybluegold5 September 11, 2011

Don't underestimate just because the kid next door plays it

Although the number of young teens who play Call of Duty is growing, that does not make it okay. As someone who has played this game inside and out, I think many scenes from the campaign are too much for kids under 16 to handle. More than just typical war violence--brutal stabbings, strangulations, executions, torture, the list goes on. The option to turn off "graphic content" does little more than eliminate the blood. The intent is still there. Think twice about letting your <17 year old play this game. Don't even think about letting your <15 year old play it.

Parent of a 5, 11, 13, and 16-year-old Written byawesomeparent67 March 4, 2011

good for 12 up with filter on.

People! you CAN turn down the swearing and gore on this game! so the worse you will hear in swearing would be hell and maybe a d**n. but I haven;t heard any. but with no gore the violence isn't bad. so you make this game a T rated game when you turn on the filter! if you think your 12 year old can do then let him. but 13 will for sure be okay

Parent of a 13-year-old Written byJohn C. November 13, 2010

Common Sense Media was a little misleading on this review...

Common Sense Media is a little misleading on this one.... Yes this game is for *NO KIDS*.... when the graphic content filter is turned off! At the beginning of the first time game setup there is an option to turn on the graphic content filter permanently. The graphic content filter takes out blood and gore when shooting at someone and it also takes out much of the foul language. Overall, with the graphic content filter on, you learn all lot about the Vietnam war while having fun! With the graphic content filter turned on, I believe I would let kids play it if they are allowed to watch movies such as: Angels and Demons, James Bond Series, Transformers. With the graphic filter turned off I think this game can compare to movies such as - Saving Pirate Ryan, Tears of Sun, and Black Hawk Down.
Adult Written bySteph. G November 13, 2010

You can turn of blood, gore, and language!

FIRST OFF I WOULD LIKE TO SAY YOU CAN TURN BLOOD, GORE, AND LANGUAGE OFF IN THIS GAME. This drastically changes what I would be writing here, since many parents are hesitant to buy this game because of pure peer pressure. Without a doubt this game is violent, but when you use the feature of turning off blood, gore, and language the game is much more playable in a family environment.

Educational Value
Adult Written bySamuel B. August 31, 2020

Common sense media is making this seem a lot worse than it should be

This game is just a game while there is language and violence ,that can be turned off easily with a content filter which makes this game play exactly like a T rated game, if your kid goes to a public school at 12 and up then they have heard more curse words than this game has to offer and if your child can handle shooting knowing that its fake and that guns are dangerous then they're fine if they have watched Jurassic park then that is about the same gore level if your kid play star wars battlefront 1 or 2, destiny, fortnite or any other T rated shooter then this is practically no worse. Also this is just me but I don't think that this game actually has enough "drugs" to call it a drug reference maybe a little smoking but that is almost all. Even without the content filter I still think this is 15+ max M for mature is a little much.

Adult Written bythe man with th... August 28, 2020

really violent but controllable

now black ops (bo1) is divided in 3 parts campaign (sp) multiplayer (mp) and zombies (zm)
now sp is really violent bo1 had followed the world at war example of insane violence the story is great you going back in memories is just too good however the vietnam war segments are very violent.
mp has not as much violence but you may hear the f word from some bad people.but the problem is called the FAMAS AUG argument because everyone is running these 2 (famas and the aug)so your kid is probably going to have a hard time learning the game but just try nuketown
zm is not as bad as you think the blood can be disabled zombies (unlike sp) has more swearing but zm teaches you the following:
1 how to conserve ammo
2 to strategise how to get to higher rounds.
now in short i will say that sp is for 15+ mp is for 11+ zm is for 13+

Adult Written byDaniel Gellar September 2, 2019

Great game for teens

I think this is a very educational and good game. Yeah there's violence and swearing but it's no more violence then most movies your child probably watches and has no less swearing then what your child hears commonly around. Great game for any child over the age of 12.

Adult Written byheduith February 1, 2019

It is a incredible game!

Great graphics great story great protagonist it is a game that will have everything you want it is incredible
Adult Written byJack Biskupowicz January 22, 2019
I think all of these people saying it’s “sooo bad” or that it’s too violent are stupid. It’s just a video game. It’s not real. It doesn’t hurt you child and maybe it’ll let them grow up a bit. I didnt let my son play games like this a while ago and he came home EVERY DAY complaining about how he was getting bullied because he couldn’t play games like this one.
Adult Written byTexassteer October 28, 2018

Gratuitous violence, gore, profanity, misogyny

You can dull the gore of the zombie quests but it makes the game look awful. Also, the scenery is still covered in blood. The profanity is just for show, which makes it worse. The guys dismiss girls as if they are not important. The profanity in less graphic mode is just muted so it’s essentially still there, just unheard. The script doesn’t change.

Ridiculously inappropriate for anyone who has underdeveloped morals, much less anyone under 18.

Adult Written byETHANGaming August 18, 2018

Not for kids under 15 even when all violence is turned off

I loved Black ops it's the best one of all 3 the campaign is amazing you'll never get bored ! But Black ops isn't like the others Call of duty game series like mw black ops is very violent even when violence is turned off in the campaign there's many torture scenes you can't avoid even when turning violence off and there's still a lot more stuff you can't avoid like throats slit , torturing people by shoving glass down there throat until they say who there working with , shooting people with all there legs arms and limbs are spreaded blowing people brains out ... and the whole ambiance is very strong and violent this game should be 15 and up only honest review

Adult Written byfahad h. December 9, 2017
Adult Written bySam M. November 16, 2017

Strong Grisly Violence including Disturbing Images and Torture and Strong Language

Similar to World at Wars violence. Dark tone and murky morality retirn as well. Constant violence with frequent dismemberment and tons of blood. No decapitations though. Viscious scripted moments include a man having eye gouged out (partially off cam but we see blood spurt), a man has glass bit in his mouth and is punched leaving his mouth very bloody. A man repeatedly bludgeoned in head witb lead pipe (extremely gruesome skull cracks and we see brain matter). Some veitcong have throats brutally eviscerated (player motions are very savage). A mans face decays away as hes exposed to toxic gas. Slow mo bullet to head (bloody), a pick ax to back of soldier forming a blood volcano. Gory bodies in laboratory.
Not as fun as previous entries. Campaign decent but overly grim and has pace issues. MP maps uninspired and feels clunkier and slower than MW2.
Parent Written byJosh S. August 27, 2017

Good game, but really violent.

Fine for kids 2 and up

Adult Written bybon b. May 31, 2017

A REVIEW

This is an excellent game. The blood and gore, while it is excessive along with language, is only depicting the harsh realities of war. I have played it through and through, and my 11-year-old son plays it occasionally. And if you think that's bad, my 13-year-old plays GTA V. Deal with it.

Adult Written byChew Kok A. September 12, 2016

Contion issues all the time

The game is very fun and detailed but it is almost impossible to connect to lobbies and I have high speed internet. When I do connect 3 out of 10 times it will say connection iturupted and end up taking the entire lobby out of the current match and brim Ben back to the home screen. For such a huge and popular game, their servers suck
Adult Written byTrevor T. August 13, 2016

NOT BAD AT ALL

You can turn off all language and violence and blood and gore which makes this game seem more like a T game