Parent reviews for Darksiders Genesis

Co-op apocalyptic action is plagued by mediocrity.

Based on 1 review

Based on 1 review
Parent Written bynuenjins February 22, 2020

A fun and simplified Co-op side note to the series.

The CS reviewer obviously didn't like the game, but I have a different take on it. Where this game truly shines and seems intended for is for local couch co-op ( get a friend dude! Lol Jk).

To the point, this is not a full fledged release (check price) and is a much more arcade style "Guantlet" style game like a top down shooter, a deviation from the typical Zelda type adventures of the previous larger game releases. (Halo: Spartan Assault anyone?) The local combat IS split screen which limits the view, I don't prefer this, but the fast pace doesn't lend itself well to space limitations. In many ways this gives you more freedom of movement individually keeping your character center screen with a reticle showing you the general direction of your partner.

Although I didn't care for DS3 with a new studio, this is a fitting setup for a simpler version of Darksiders to work well. This entry feels much like a mid way point to a future, larger game to keep the lights on for the developer. They introduce a new character, sell some units and this provides them more time and money to make the next full installment that much better.

The gameplay is fluid, you get one closer ranged sword character and the other is a more distance fighter with a less robust swordplay arsenal. You can mount a 'hell horse' at any time to traverse quickly and the basic combat is fast paced. The game looks great and is somewhat cartoonish but not cheap feeling and pretty much on par with the series. In the end, I wish more games could be made like this that are quality and just for fun allowing 2 people to play a modern game on the same console without too much complexity. Personally, I still miss the old arcades and would love to see more that aren't just pixel art.

Ease of Play