Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Dead Island

Ambitious zombie game loaded with violence, mature themes.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byconcernedparent413 July 3, 2014

A surprisingly good game

At first I was unsure about this game, because of the title cover(a little scary, don't you think?). I decided to do some research, and was surprised and pleased at what I found. While there are some...unsavory aspects of the game, there is a screen on which you can turn off the blood. As well, the cooperative aspect of the game was very nice, my two sons were able to play it together and they had a blast. There was also a lot of information about other cultures (tribes on the island and in the jungle).
Adult Written by531zombies January 25, 2012

ps3

its gory but a good game and you need to explain to ur kids its just a vidoe game and that zombies r fake my son and daughter luv it and do thier chores or i take it away and.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bymother112 July 3, 2014

Improved my child's reflexes

Right off the bat, there is violence in this game. However, I found that the worst of this can be turned off, making the game a lot more tame and appropriate for younger kids. Despite the violence, I really liked this game. My young son, who has had some problems with hand-eye coordination, has markedly improved, and learned a lot about another culture, the island tribesman, who had a somewhat confusing but deeply interesting history. Heck ,I even learned a thing or two. However, my favorite part of this game was the online co-op. My son and his friends had a lot of fun working together to complete the missions in the game.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byteacher714 July 3, 2014

An interesting game

When my child first asked for this game, I was tempted to just say no. But I decided I would give it a chance. And I ended up really liking it. Although there is violence, It is possible to turn off the worst of it, and the multi-player option allows for the whole family to play together, which was a lot of fun. I found it there was also a lot of educational value, pertaining to native cultures in the area.

Adult Written byHigh School Ratings September 11, 2011

Suitable for mature teenagers

Although this game is rated mature it is no worse than a game rated teen in terms of violence. Admittedly there is quite a bit of swearing involved but by the time kids are teenagers they are probably used to it. All in all I think that this game is suitable for teenagers who are mature and sensible.

Parent Written byrubyellen February 3, 2012

Brutal violence!

I was appalled when I watched clips from this. Ok, so there aren't many guns. I find it MUCH more disturbing to see people's (Ok, zombie's) skin beaten to a pulp and heads slashed off. There is blood EVERYWHERE! To me, the beating and slashing are much more 'personally' and brutally violent behaviors than shooting. My kids won't be playing this in my house - ever.

Adult Written byLoli pops are Funny September 12, 2011

Perfect for 13 and up, Good for mature twelve year old's.

Nice character's, not as much gore as I thought, less than Call of Duty Five, if you have played Nazi zombie's then this game is about as gory as that. Not gonna lie though is still a bit bloody, not much gore but a bit of blood.

Adult Written byAnonymous0000 September 7, 2011

Perfect for ages 15 and1/2 +

This title is bloody, yes, however just the same bloodiness as L.A. Noire. Blood spurts on to the screen, however the is nothing major like bodys blowing into little pieces. Not nearly as violent as other mature rated games.(Killzone) There are several uses of language but once again not nearly as bad as Killzone or Dead space or L.A. Noire. The sexual themes are not as bad as you think. Also, there are use of alcohol throughout the game but I do not consider that a major factor. GREAT for those who love fantasy titles.

Adult Written byTherealreveiwer123 May 29, 2014

14+

This gory zombie slasher is a very great game for people who like FPS ( first-person-shooter ) games. Dead island has a lot of violence and blood and some gore, but the gore isn't a lot. The swearing is extremely I mean extremely high. Almost every sentence you hear there will be a curse word or two. The violence is your everyday zombie game. The swearing contains f*ck s*it bi*tch and some other ones. The main story is very interesting and good. You have choices to help people in danger or they need something etc. you are able to drink alcohol etc. there is a little bit of sexuality but it's not to bad. I recommend this game to a mature 14+

Adult Written byDaniel Cole September 12, 2011

For sensible, mature twelve year's and over.

My son is twelve and he, me and all his friend's love this game! The characters all go out of their way in order to save lives, there is not that much gore compared to a lot of other M rated games. The language in it is only used when the character's are extremely scared and compared to 15 rated games there is less! This game is suitable for a 12 year old's and up, however only if they are sensible and don't use the language that they hear in the game. Great and fun game for online, some parents, like me, who enjoy games will find this entertaining to play and even watch!

Parent Written byparent56767 June 2, 2015

It is not as bad as it seems

I bought this for my 13 year old and i was iffy at first but when i saw you can TURN OFF THE BLOOD it was a lot better. This game is not as bad as people say it is. If you are worried about cursing there is some. Also i have heard that people think it is demeaning to women but it is not there is no sexual scenes and i think it is a great game.

Adult Written byUser963852741 July 7, 2014
No real complaints, just your regular zombie "smash-n-crash-em" game. Atleast they are killing fictional zombies rather than killing innocent humans (GTA anyone?)

Parent of a 13 year old Written byJSCracraft September 1, 2015

Very violent - cannot even watch it

Our 12 year-old son talked us into buying this game. We believed you could turn off the language and blood, but that is not possible on the Xbox console (or PS3). While the game itself is high quality, the game is so gory that we cannot stand to watch it. He plays Halo, Call of Duty, etc and this is much, much worse.