Kid reviews for Demon's Souls

Brilliant, extremely difficult, violent RPG in bleak world.

Teen, 14 years old Written bySoulsFan101 February 1, 2021

Brilliant Game, Though Quite Challenging

This is quite possibly my favorite game of all time. The soundtrack is stunning, it’s very fun to play, and I just love the overall atmosphere. I love the fact that the lore is not clearly cut out. Instead, it’s revealed through enemy designs, level designs, item placement, arena layouts, and so much more. It’s hard to explain in words how amazing this game is, so I suggest you go try it out (although you’re probably going to trouble obtaining a copy of the original 2009 version nowadays). With that out of the way, here’s the content warning:

*There are very few positive messages throughout (0/5 Positive Messages).
*You can either save the world from Demons or become one yourself at the end of the game (1/5 Positive Role Models).
*Extremely challenging and unforgiving game with mechanics that punish you for dying. For example, when you die in Human form, your health gets cut in half. This can only be reversed by:
A) Beating a Demon (boss)
B) Using a certain item in the game
or
C) Equipping a certain item that brings your health up to 75% whenever it’s in use.
Another frustrating mechanic is World Tendency, where if you die enough times in Human form, the enemies become tougher and certain events occur that make it nearly impossible to make any progress. Not to mention that World Tendency isn’t explained to the player, and must be discovered through experience. Even without those two blemishes, the game is incredibly difficult (0/5 Ease of Play).
*The game is quite violent, although it doesn’t go much further than stabbing and slashing and whatnot. A certain enemy will physically tear itself in half to get at you, although the process is similar to molting (4/5 Violence).
*(0/5 Sex).
*Bastard is used a few times (1/5 Language).
*(0/5 Consumerism).
*(0/5 Drinking/Drugs).

tl;dr Very difficult game with violence.

Teen, 14 years old Written byCotage Games October 6, 2020

Teen Friendly

Blood & Gore

Graphic Content

Bleak & Depressing

But it's not as bad as you think, think of Elder Scrolls but has a bit more blood in it.

Ease of Play
Written byAnonymous September 26, 2019

Excellent Game

It’s a pretty dark game. Only after playing it recently did I realize how violent it is. It’s not really violent, but it’s a depressing sort of “gory.” It has disturbing elements and some of the blood hints at gross stuff, but not much is actually shown. Certain enemies will physically tear themselves in half to get at you, which is kind of sad, but not too gory. All in all, though, it’s an excellent game!

Teen, 13 years old Written byDJstark May 16, 2015

YEAH!!

Okay, I frikin love this game. It is kinda violent, though, and that needs to be understood, because this game could probably only just squeeze by as T. Originally, I was disinterested in this game, but because they guy who does the voice acting of Graverobber Blige…does the voice of Graberobber Blige, I had to find him. I'm slightly obsessed like that. But to be able to get to 4-1, I had to beat the rest. Now, going through, not only is it violent with minor blood particles and blood pools, meant to be realistic, but this game is downright hard, and that on its own bumps it up. No ten year old will want to try and battle this game. It's one of the, if not the, hardest game I have ever played. Parents, maybe wait until the kids are older for this one. Still great.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySaad1Khan November 19, 2014

Great game but recommend great skills

Contains just real violence but is really hard.

Teen, 13 years old Written bycerealkiller189 February 20, 2012

A very challenging and fun game.

Although I found this game a huge breeze for me,not dying a single time in the entire game,I do agree many people may have less blessed in gaming skills than me and it can be nauseatingly hard at time,for those with low patience and tolerance,this game is a big no no.Frankly,the blood and gore is very high with lots of atmosphere making a very good game,Take that and the huge difficulty and you get mature players only.

Teen, 15 years old Written byNathanderdethdealer July 10, 2010

An Amazing game for Those

This game is downright one of the hardest of the current console generation. The online play is perfect though, as the game was designed to be hard so that players will leave helpful advice and messages in the world to prepare for attacks, find hidden items and such. The game is one of few that have been Overrated by the ESRB though. Another one being Oblivion. Having played the game as an import before it's US re;lease i am quite familiar with and can say this: It is at hear a dark fantasy game, meaning there is no whimsy in it and is outright serious, much similar too the film "The Dark Crystal" in it's tone. For children, even adults the game can and might make you break your controller in frustration. That said the game only saves when you beat a level, or when you unlock a shortcut by pulling a lever to save time and advance. And saving also doubles as check points. When you die you go back to the beginning of the level and all enemies regenerate, and none of your items are restored. The enemies and bosses in the game can also be somehwat disturbing. And the nos pause feature of the game is to allow seamless integration into online play. For the hardcore teenage gamer son of yours? Yes. For your casual gamer son whom plays every now and then? No. For lack of better analogy, god forbid, rather than you being the pimp in charge of the game AKA you woman of ill refute in you hire, the game does role reversal. The educational value is obtained by having one master rationing out supplies strategically and problem solving to complete a level or boss.

Educational Value
Kid, 12 years old June 13, 2010

Great game but its dark and depressing.

This is one of my all time favorite game. But its dark, depressing, and downright HARD! this will be the hardest game you have ever played. you play as a knight going into bolitaria which has been taken over my demons. as you go along some of the bosses can be frighting to a little kid. I was once playing a boss called the armored spider and my 5 year old brother said he was scared. over all this is a good game but your child cant be scared of monsters in there closest or can be frustrated really easy.

Teen, 16 years old Written byJocaBrate94 May 17, 2010

Teen, 15 years old Written byHopefullyThisHelps April 9, 2010

DO NOT BE TRICKED BY DISTURBING GAME TITLE... THIS GAME IS FINE

This game is amazing. Flat out and simply amazing... But when my parents first saw the name, then looked at the rating... it was "no!" for several months. Once I finally convinced them to let me get it, they found it wasn't that bad. My family is made of very strong christians so the whole demon idea made my Mom think it may be a little against god. It really is not though... It is simply a humble game idea and a good idea at that. ALSO, NOTICE THERE ARE NO LANGUAGE PROBLEMS!!! Nowadays it is almost impossible to find a game with no cussing in it, but here is one! There is also no sex or drugs! The violence is pretty bad though. Blood can be turned off but that kind of makes the game less realistic and not as thrilling... There is lots of stabbing and slashing that can make you say "oh oww" but it is all very satisfying. The review says the game is bleak and hopeless, but when you're playing it you do not feel hopeless or bad in any way. Playing it makes you feel in control, powerful, and awesome... Not sad or depressed so don't get the wrong idea. Overall, this game is so much fun! AND THIS GAME WAS VOTED GAME OF THE YEAR 2009 BY GAMESPOT.COM (one of the biggest online game review sites). This game will take your child through many awesome adventures and is very exciting... I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!! Unless you are like below age 10 or you do not like violence, then you should get this game.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKendrayshepster March 20, 2010

Teen, 15 years old Written bycross_breed December 29, 2009

WARNING! Hardcore Players Only!

Those who value your television screens, do not get this for a child without a level head because controllers will be flying. The content isn't anything an eleven year old couldn't handle, you can turn off the blood, but I'm recommending this for fifteen and up because the game is so hard that it kicks every last inkling of enthusiasm out of the player; then it commences to pick up the remains of the player's shattered psyche and drop it in a blender. Then the game takes the player's psyche liquid and commences to drink it as a bitter yet refreshing beverage of pain and hopelessness. If you've played the game, you know what I mean. Every time a player dies, they respawn at the beginning of the level with half their health and lose all their souls (the in-game currency). As far as gameplay goes, it's extremely fun, but sometimes it gets repetitive doing the same thing again and again. I'm saying it's alright for 15+ just because I'm going for mental maturity but content-wise 11+ is okay.