Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Fallout: New Vegas

Mature action RPG with gore, sex, profanity, and drug use.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byjane43 February 14, 2015

Know your child.

This game has 3 main concerns. Violence, sex references and swearing. First the violence is strong and in some ways impracticable, with heads flying off unrealistically. The level of violence is similar to Skyrim, a similar game in all aspects. The game is in no way glorifying violence, and is in no way a shoot-em-up. Parents must think about their child and their understanding of how violence must not be tolerated. Though the actual combat is not abundantly gruesome hand to hand fighting, the violence is present and in no way entirely avoidable. The sex is scarce and though prostitution is present in one of the regions, it is not accepted anywhere else. The prostitutes can be talked with but that is the extent of any interaction. Their clothing is revealing and 'slutty' but there is no real nudity throughout the game. Swearing is common but remains in the means of *ss, d*ck, cr*p and other curses. there is a rare f*ck and sh*it but nothing outrageous or not found on TV or at home (let's be honest). The only other concern is alcohol and drugs. The drugs can be taken but in addition to the blurred screen, mimicking the real life effects, the player can become addicted and they can have bad consequences. The view of drugs is that they are fun but this is an extremely small part of the game. Overall this is an amazing game and your child will have lots of fun on this. The game is segmented into quests and can be saved quickly so youre child can easily be taken off of it. I hope you found this helpful :)

Adult Written byThe good father. August 7, 2011

Making moral decisions in a game. A life lesson.

I found this game to be a great way to bond with my son. This game showed how if you act like a bad person than more bad things will happen to you, but if you make the moral decision than good things happen. Not overly violent at all.

Parent of a 15 year old Written bysushiman8 February 9, 2011

Great RPG for most mature teens

This is the sequel to Fallout 3 hailed as one of the best video games ever made. Fallout is an combat RPG in 1st person or 3rd person view where you scaver a wasteland after a 2hr nuclear war with china. This picks up in the Nevada desert which survived fairly good. The atmosphere reminds everyone with Cold War 50's nostalgia mixed in with Wild West themes ro bring a truly one of a kind game. The game lets players make there character from scratch and you are given the choice to be a savior of destructor of the wastland. The violence factor is strong but the game can teach you to work out problems without violence. Not all the violence is to humans as you engage in much combat against animal and robot. The drug use of the game plays a microscopic part of the game and are not based on real life drugs and you can become addicted to them and pay negative consequences. There is some salty language but is infrequent and the sexual content is very tame for an M rating
Parent Written byMax Schneiter June 5, 2013

One of my favorite games, but definitely not for kids

I am a long-time gamer and this is easily one of my all-time favorite games, but I feel very strongly that this game is not appropriate for children age 12 and under. The biggest issues for me are the violence and drug-use. The violence is extremely over-the-top, if you play this game for no more than a few minutes you will probably see at least one head exploding in slow-motion and in graphic detail. Limbs can be severed in combat and it is possible to dismember corpses. It is true that the graphics are far from photo-realistic, but the levels of violence are so extreme that I really don't think it matters. Another troubling aspect of the violence is that it is not uncommon to witness characters being tortured, dismembered or just generally brutalized even if the player chooses to play as a pacifist. The drug use is even more troubling. Although "chems" (fallout slang for drugs) have negative side-effects in the game there are certain chems that the player must use to be successful. Moreover, the negative consequences for drug use really aren't severe enough (it is not possible to die from an overdose, for example). I feel like this is a very dangerous message for kids. Also, unlike most games the drugs are presented in a very realistic manner, instead of "potions" or generic "first-aid kits" Fallout uses items such as bottles of prescription pills, syringes or inhalers as power ups, once again a very bad message for young players. Although there are no explicit sex scenes, sex is a big part of this game and basically unavoidable. There are prostitutes and it is also possible to have sexual encounters with a few other characters in the game, although the screen blacks-out during these encounters the audio continues. Compared to the violence and drug use the sex is not nearly as prevalent, but still inappropriate in my opinion. Profanity is also commonly used throughout the game, but this is a minor concern when compared to some of the other aspects. All-in-all I would say some teenagers may be mature enough to handle this game, but even then I really think a responsible parent should have a frank discussion with the kid about the use of drugs in this game beforehand.

Adult Written byrileyrdog March 24, 2013

you need it

well its a mature game but not as rough as dead space so i think its cool for kids about 11 or older

Parent of a 13 and 16 year old Written byTony236 January 7, 2011

Maturity matters

Many people would say that this game is much to gory and cam ruin our childrens minds but as long as your children are mature and understand that killing people in real life and stealing is completely wrong then this game is accept able for them to play. But because of the large amount of gore I wouldn't let anybody below the age of 10 to play this game. If you don't feel that your child is really 100% mature for this game then I would just let them know that you want them to not be super evil and just check up on them from time to time it worked for me when my yougest son who was 11 when fallout 3 came out I just told him not to be super evil and he went on playing the game and still have a lot of fun with it. Now that both of my sons are above or are 13 I let choice there on path in the game and that normally just naturally pick to be good or netrual I also did the same thing with the game mass effect. The 2 things that I think are over rated by commonsense is the nudity and sex because the only place there is sex is at the newvegas strip which just has to sounds from a female character and some darkness and there is no real nudity just when you take the armor from fallen enemies and even then the enemies body is still 90% or so covered. I would defiantly rate it on for ages 14+ and depending on maturity 11+

Adult Written byVaultBoy November 6, 2010

Keep your child's maturity in mind.

Being as the majority of this game takes place in post apocolyptic Sin City, it is easy to imagine why this game may not be suitable for kids or tweens. The violence is so over the top that it straddles the line between nasty and silly. There is also bad language and drug use. However mature children who can handle this material and understand the game's dark humor will have a blast exploring, and interacting with the game world. There is a karma system that seperates good and bad, but most moral choices are ambiguous. Having both postitive and negative effects (sometimes even at the same time.)

Adult Written byhonest reviewer April 24, 2012

csm overreacts again

this game is not bad compared to some m games, the only bad thig is violence, everything else can be avoided

Parent of a 17 year old Written byoppolplo October 19, 2010
Parent Written byPlague October 20, 2010

Fallout: New Vegas

Absolutely epic. Not as good as Fallout 3, but still a virtual masterpiece.
Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written bybroberto August 2, 2013

Good

This is a great game And if you make good decisions you can have a very positive experience. both of my kids are responsible enough to play i recommend 13 and up.

Parent of a 13 year old Written bygingersdonthavesouls December 28, 2010
this game has lots of gore and violence but is very fun its just a game its not gonna screw up your kid/child/teen this game is fun the gore looks totally fake 13 and up my review (its a simulation)

Adult Written byEli Propper January 20, 2013

I think this game is good.

not much sex at all, none really. It is violent and bloody but not crazy bad. Not really any drug use. But a little bit of language. A little sex{no nudity}, guns and shooting, but nothing over the top, and as for drugs, just a little strength booster, not even a real drug. A great game with outstanding game play.

Adult Written byPlayer1234 August 8, 2011

From Someone who's Played

Fallout new vegas is a very good game. Yes there is violence,language,and drug and achohole use in it , but if your kid is mature I think this game would be ok. I know there is sexual content talked about ,but I've played this for some time and you can but don't have to perticapate in it.One why I know this game could be allright for kids is because my little cousin who's about 11 came over about a month ago and he played the game while I whatched. I could tell he was having fun and anything like causeing happened he just ignored it. My point to prove being that I believe that after dicussing it with your childabout whats in the game and if your child is mature they should be allright to play. So if think they'er mature personly I would let them play this very good game!

Adult Written byfyghtingwolf345 October 24, 2010
its fun but yeah the violence is pretty high but if your kids are mature enough to handle the blood and violence its really fun
Adult Written byDavid Featherson February 24, 2013

Best Survival game ever

Best game ever, I've played it several a times and I think it sends a good roll model towards crime and realization of survival. I think this is a good game for anyone 13 and up. A definite buy! I bought for my kid who begged for it, and after I looked at it for myself I see no problems, just if swearing is a problem for you. There is no sex like it says, I've never ever got any impression of that. Violence can be another problem, not terribly much but according to other reviewing sites it can be turned off. Once agin it proves the rating is sometimes overdramatic, I'd say this the perfect game for kids who parents feel are responsible for it. If you think this is the kind of game your kid would want or if your kid requests it, it's a green light for sure.

Adult Written byThegamingguy August 3, 2012

Good for mature tweens and teens.

First off, this is an excellent game. The sheer amount of things to do is just amazing.But, there are some things to look out for. Violence is probably the main issue, as you can decapitate and tear off limbs. But, still not as violent as some games (i.e. Mortal Combat). Sexual content is not that big of a problem, as you cannot take part in any sexual activity, but there are a couple scenes implying it. Again, not as bad as most other m rated titles. Last, the language. Although there is some rare strong language, (fu*%) if you child has played any first person shooter, he/she is probably used to this. My child has loved this game since he bought it, and even i have enjoyed playing it. Just know your child.

Adult Written byadultwith4kids September 13, 2014

would be not for kids but there's karma

If you have played any of the fallout games, you'd know about the karma system. The karma system rewards you for making the right decisions and punishes you for making the wrong decisions. Also, you can turn off the blood.

Adult Written byGamePlayer12 October 31, 2010
Fallout 3 was one of the greatest games I have ever played, So when I picked up New Vegas after a long wait, I decided this was way better then Fallout 3. I've beaten the game once and on my second playthrough, and i have to say this is simply amazing. I'm simply addicted. I'll go ahead and lay out the bad stuff in more detail. The Violence, this is a very bloody game, it's all from shooting a innocent guy's head off or blowing up a super mutant. You can shoot every limb off anythings body and often in slow mo. The VATS system lets you target different body parts and blow them off in a bloody slow mo scene. The Language, There is a good bit of language, everything normal cuss word is used here. Sexual Content, There is no nudity, but you can walk into strip clubs in the New Vegas strip (Men and Women strippers dancing on tables) and quest have you looking for escorts for wealthy residents. Drug Use, There are fake drug names for drugs you can buy and use to help you when your fighting, you can become addicted and have to see a doctor. Anyway, Fallout New Vegas is a great game and is a 10/10.

Adult Written byMark21 January 16, 2016

Its not a shoot em up

Its an RPG made by one of the best RPG developers out there (they made Elder scrolls). The violence is there, but is only really bad if you use VATS to slow down time (even then the most you'll see is some blood or the occasional head flying off 200 feet in the opposite direction as the graphics are terrible in this game). There is no sex shown in this game as you can only talk to the prostitutes. You can gamble if that is a concern. The drugs are called stimpaks and just restore your health. It really comes down to knowing if your kid is mature enough.