Parent reviews for Fallout: New Vegas

Mature action RPG with gore, sex, profanity, and drug use.

Parent of a 13-year-old Written byjane43 February 14, 2015

Know your child.

This game has 3 main concerns. Violence, sex references and swearing. First the violence is strong and in some ways impracticable, with heads flying off unrealistically. The level of violence is similar to Skyrim, a similar game in all aspects. The game is in no way glorifying violence, and is in no way a shoot-em-up. Parents must think about their child and their understanding of how violence must not be tolerated. Though the actual combat is not abundantly gruesome hand to hand fighting, the violence is present and in no way entirely avoidable.
The sex is scarce and though prostitution is present in one of the regions, it is not accepted anywhere else. The prostitutes can be talked with but that is the extent of any interaction. Their clothing is revealing and 'slutty' but there is no real nudity throughout the game.
Swearing is common but remains in the means of *ss, d*ck, cr*p and other curses. there is a rare f*ck and sh*it but nothing outrageous or not found on TV or at home (let's be honest).
The only other concern is alcohol and drugs. The drugs can be taken but in addition to the blurred screen, mimicking the real life effects, the player can become addicted and they can have bad consequences. The view of drugs is that they are fun but this is an extremely small part of the game.
Overall this is an amazing game and your child will have lots of fun on this. The game is segmented into quests and can be saved quickly so youre child can easily be taken off of it.
I hope you found this helpful :)

Adult Written byQuinnocent March 23, 2019

Common Sense doesn't do this game Justice

My 14 year old recently came begging to me and my wife to let him play New Vegas. We're a religious family with some moderate rules, so we went exploring our options. We found this website to gain some insight, and it gave a quite a scare. We told him no, but he begged us to just give it a chance. We reluctantly agreed, saying he could play only with us there. As I watched for a little while, i started playing for myself. I soon realized "Common sense" doesn't do New Vegas a bit of justice. They complain mainly about the violence, language, and drug/alcohol usage. The language opinion was fair- it says "h*ll, d*mn, and *ss", with the occasional "f*ck and sh*t." Nothing more than a PG-13 movie. However, it was the complaints of violence and addiction that bother me. Violence can be turned off along with the kill cam. Besides that, some blood can be seen in the background and some disturbing elements in the environment. The game does involve substances like alcohol and "chems", but it also involves these hopeless poor chem addicts who serve as the lowest class in the game. They have druggies, yes, but they are NOT glorified. If you get addicted to chems your performance is hindered to the point where it's dramatically not worth it. It's a lesson in itself. Im still playing this game 3 months later, and I'm only back to this website to defend a title that was clearly misrepresented. As long as your kid understands the difference between reality and fantasy, its a fun game for anyone 14-64.
Adult Written byTomTrenchIsGod March 14, 2020

Patrolling the Mojave makes me wish for a nuclear winter

It's soo good it's hard to describe

Ease of Play
Adult Written byAnthony B. April 16, 2018

Best game Story Game out there!

I have over 2000 hours played in this game and by far is frankly one of the Best games I have played. If you know your child can handle Blood and Swearing then your fine. The entire game is set place in Las Vegas and the main theme is Greed and how people handle it. if I was a parent you must know that there are some places that you might want to avoid. You might want to stay away from the Casinos in the New Vegas Strip Because there are Gambling and in one of the Casinos they have skimpy females dancing in cages. but besides that the lore is great the story is thrilling and it teaches you a good moral in the end.

Parent Written byJohn D. December 25, 2017

Somewhat violent, minimal use of drugs, but still prevalent, and will keep your kid happy for days.

This is a great game, I have played it all the way through to make sure it is okay for my kid. I highly recommend it to anyone's kids who are teenagers. There is violence and drugs, but the message is still clear: Be a good person and have good morals.

Ease of Play
Adult Written byTyler D. August 31, 2016

Worthless waste of money

This game has great game play story and background and I have spent many hours putting time into it on several platforms. However there is one thing that undoes it all. This game can not run longer than 15 minutes in average without crashing and making you restart as well as losingood all progress since your last save. It is starting to be too much for me and this game is not worth everything I have put into it. Please spend your money on something that can run
Adult Written byMark21 January 16, 2016

Its not a shoot em up

Its an RPG made by one of the best RPG developers out there (they made Elder scrolls). The violence is there, but is only really bad if you use VATS to slow down time (even then the most you'll see is some blood or the occasional head flying off 200 feet in the opposite direction as the graphics are terrible in this game). There is no sex shown in this game as you can only talk to the prostitutes. You can gamble if that is a concern. The drugs are called stimpaks and just restore your health. It really comes down to knowing if your kid is mature enough.
Adult Written byMaxM 1 December 28, 2015

Great Game!

Fallout New Vegas is a great game for anyone who loves the idea of 50's themed futuristic western apocalyptic scenarios including mutants, spaceships and adventure. Yes, it is true that this game does have some violence, but it is nothing that a mature twelve year old shouldn't be able to handle. There is mild adult theme, but this isn't easy to find in the fallout world. Drugs and alcohol are as much part in this game as are packages of regular food and soda, and they game gives a demonstration of the harmful effects it has on the human body. Furthermore, if your child is mature, this is a great series of games to get him or her and it is quite enjoyable!
Adult Written bybenjamindover30 December 21, 2015

Good game. Some violence, but not too much.

It's true that this game contains violence, drug use, and some suggestive content, but what game doesn't these days? Quite frankly, it doesn't seem like something that should be restricted to children, but you should probably check if your child is mature and understanding enough of the fact that some things in the game should not be recreated in real life. While it does contain some suggestive content and drug use, it isn't very strong. And it does seem to teach kids life lessons, because the game does reward good behavior and punish bad behavior (generally speaking).
Adult Written byadultwith4kids September 13, 2014

would be not for kids but there's karma

If you have played any of the fallout games, you'd know about the karma system. The karma system rewards you for making the right decisions and punishes you for making the wrong decisions. Also, you can turn off the blood.

Parent of a 13 and 15-year-old Written bybroberto August 2, 2013

Good

This is a great game And if you make good decisions you can have a very positive experience. both of my kids are responsible enough to play i recommend 13 and up.

Parent Written byMax Schneiter June 5, 2013

One of my favorite games, but definitely not for kids

I am a long-time gamer and this is easily one of my all-time favorite games, but I feel very strongly that this game is not appropriate for children age 12 and under. The biggest issues for me are the violence and drug-use. The violence is extremely over-the-top, if you play this game for no more than a few minutes you will probably see at least one head exploding in slow-motion and in graphic detail. Limbs can be severed in combat and it is possible to dismember corpses. It is true that the graphics are far from photo-realistic, but the levels of violence are so extreme that I really don't think it matters. Another troubling aspect of the violence is that it is not uncommon to witness characters being tortured, dismembered or just generally brutalized even if the player chooses to play as a pacifist.

The drug use is even more troubling. Although "chems" (fallout slang for drugs) have negative side-effects in the game there are certain chems that the player must use to be successful. Moreover, the negative consequences for drug use really aren't severe enough (it is not possible to die from an overdose, for example). I feel like this is a very dangerous message for kids. Also, unlike most games the drugs are presented in a very realistic manner, instead of "potions" or generic "first-aid kits" Fallout uses items such as bottles of prescription pills, syringes or inhalers as power ups, once again a very bad message for young players.

Although there are no explicit sex scenes, sex is a big part of this game and basically unavoidable. There are prostitutes and it is also possible to have sexual encounters with a few other characters in the game, although the screen blacks-out during these encounters the audio continues. Compared to the violence and drug use the sex is not nearly as prevalent, but still inappropriate in my opinion.

Profanity is also commonly used throughout the game, but this is a minor concern when compared to some of the other aspects.

All-in-all I would say some teenagers may be mature enough to handle this game, but even then I really think a responsible parent should have a frank discussion with the kid about the use of drugs in this game beforehand.

Adult Written byJehriCurlJoe April 6, 2013

Fear and Loathing In New Vegas

It's Las Vegas baby! Would you expect anything less than sex, drugs, and violence? But in all seriousness, it's essentially Fallout 3 (in fact it is the same game engine) but set in "New" Vegas. The game has much more content including weapons and armor. The choices in this game are more gray and ambiguous than 3, with two forces vying for control of Vegas, one based on democracy, the other slavery, you will find that not everything is so black and white. Plenty of sex, drugs, and violence, perhaps more so than its predecessor. I think this game is suitable for anyone who likes RPG and looking for something a little more glamorous than Fallout 3.

Adult Written byrileyrdog March 24, 2013

you need it

well its a mature game but not as rough as dead space so i think its cool for kids about 11 or older

Adult Written byDavid Featherson February 24, 2013

Best Survival game ever

Best game ever, I've played it several a times and I think it sends a good roll model towards crime and realization of survival. I think this is a good game for anyone 13 and up. A definite buy! I bought for my kid who begged for it, and after I looked at it for myself I see no problems, just if swearing is a problem for you. There is no sex like it says, I've never ever got any impression of that. Violence can be another problem, not terribly much but according to other reviewing sites it can be turned off. Once agin it proves the rating is sometimes overdramatic, I'd say this the perfect game for kids who parents feel are responsible for it. If you think this is the kind of game your kid would want or if your kid requests it, it's a green light for sure.

Adult Written byEli Propper January 20, 2013

I think this game is good.

not much sex at all, none really. It is violent and bloody but not crazy bad. Not really any drug use. But a little bit of language. A little sex{no nudity}, guns and shooting, but nothing over the top, and as for drugs, just a little strength booster, not even a real drug. A great game with outstanding game play.

Adult Written byThegamingguy August 3, 2012

Good for mature tweens and teens.

First off, this is an excellent game. The sheer amount of things to do is just amazing.But, there are some things to look out for. Violence is probably the main issue, as you can decapitate and tear off limbs. But, still not as violent as some games (i.e. Mortal Combat). Sexual content is not that big of a problem, as you cannot take part in any sexual activity, but there are a couple scenes implying it. Again, not as bad as most other m rated titles. Last, the language. Although there is some rare strong language, (fu*%) if you child has played any first person shooter, he/she is probably used to this. My child has loved this game since he bought it, and even i have enjoyed playing it. Just know your child.

Adult Written byhonest reviewer April 24, 2012

csm overreacts again

this game is not bad compared to some m games, the only bad thig is violence, everything else can be avoided

Adult Written byPlayer1234 August 8, 2011

From Someone who's Played

Fallout new vegas is a very good game. Yes there is violence,language,and drug and achohole use in it , but if your kid is mature I think this game would be ok. I know there is sexual content talked about ,but I've played this for some time and you can but don't have to perticapate in it.One why I know this game could be allright for kids is because my little cousin who's about 11 came over about a month ago and he played the game while I whatched. I could tell he was having fun and anything like causeing happened he just ignored it. My point to prove being that I believe that after dicussing it with your childabout whats in the game and if your child is mature they should be allright to play. So if think they'er mature personly I would let them play this very good game!

Adult Written byThe good father. August 7, 2011

Making moral decisions in a game. A life lesson.

I found this game to be a great way to bond with my son. This game showed how if you act like a bad person than more bad things will happen to you, but if you make the moral decision than good things happen. Not overly violent at all.

Educational Value