Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Far Cry 3

Violent, bloody first-person shooter has sex and drugs.

Adult Written bythe wise one December 9, 2012

The Definition of Insanity

Far Cry 3 is a stunning looking game, on the PS3 and Xbox 360, and especially the PC. Set on a beautiful tropical island, Far Cry 3 puts you in the shoes of Jason Brody, your typical 20-something year old "bro" from Southern California. Jason Brody and his friends go on vacation in the South Pacific expecting to have a wonderful tropical adventure. Their trip however, quickly takes a tragic turn for the worst when they skydive into the wrong island and are abducted by brutal pirates. You playing as Jason Brody escape from the pirate camp, and you're left alone on Rook Island with no allies. You eventually befriend a native from the Rakyat tribe, and he assists you in finding your kidnapped friends. While it may sound like a typical B- movie, it eventually changes about halfway through into a complex and deep story exploring the evolution of Jason's normality into insanity as he commits heinous acts of violence in order to survive and save his friends. The gameplay is excellent and offers a variety of side-activities to get involved in, such as hunting, crafting, swimming, assassination missions, taking over enemy bases, poker, platforming, and hang gliding. The landscape is vast, vibrant, and has a plethora of dangerous animals. Deadly encounters with tigers, boars, pigs, alligators, sharks, deer, dogs, and dingos are not uncommon in this game. Far Cry 3 also has a deep weapon customization system, which rewards players for being creative with the large amount of weapons they're offered. Make no mistake parents, this is a very violent game. Killing animals and people are the foundation of the entire game. The violence, however, is not solely what makes the game inappropriate for children. While a bit bloody, the in-game violence is not over the top compared to other games in it's genre. The narrative is what sets this game apart. Throughout the entire game, the protagonist is dealing with his own personal demons and struggling with insanity. As the game progresses, it explores some very dark and sometimes uncomfortable themes. The themes of humanity, racism, trust, betrayal, loyalty, and insanity are explored in extremely dark ways. The violence within game's story contains some extremely brutal events, including torturing your own brother The player experiments with hallucinations and some dark and disturbing dream sequences are presented. The narrative and themes are not only inappropriate for kids, kids would most likely not even grasp them. Strong language while used occasionally, is very prevalent in certain scenes. There are two scenes of sexual content, in both scenes a woman's breasts are fully exposed. Human slavery and brutality are present throughout the narrative as well. On one level, the gameplay itself aside from the story, is like most other first-person-shooter games, such as Call of Duty. Far Cry 3 takes it to another level and offers a deep, complex, and a somewhat introspective narrative coupled with an excellent and fitting soundtrack. The game also has a co-op mode, various online competitive modes, and an excellent map editor in which you can create your own maps. I would recommend Far Cry 3 be played by those only 17 and up due to the violence, strong language, sexual content, and dark storyline.

Parent Written byFrank Windler August 6, 2013

Far Cry 3: The Truth

This is going to be a very long, in-depth review of the game, so bear with me. Far Cry 3 is a great game. It's insanely fun, and has endless possibilities. But keep in mind, it is a somewhat mature game, it has lots of violence, cursing, a small amount of nudity, and some drug references. The violence includes killing enemy pirates, (you can kill innocent people, but the game warns you not to, and you will die if you kill more than two or three) and also hunting a variety of animals in order to craft better items. The nudity involves two scenes, one where you get a "lap dance" from a tribal woman, you can see her breasts but they are mostly covered up by tribal paint. The other one is a sex scene, but is basically about as revealing as the other scene. The second scene is also only viewable if you choose the "bad ending" at the end of the game, where you kill your friends, which I doubt a younger child or teenager would do. The drugs involve "shrooms", where your character steps on a patch of them while exploring a cave and starts to hallucinate. The only other main drug references are when enemy pirates smoke cigarettes while on guard duty. The majority of the swearing is in the cut-scenes, which can be skipped, though there is a small amount in the actual game. Note that this game can also be scary at times, it has even scared me. For example, I was walking through the woods hunting a boar, when all of the sudden, a bear ran after me and attacked me. Some controversial scenes in the game are: where you have to torture your little brother, Riley, in order to make the main antagonist believe you are working for him. Also, there is a scene where the main antagonist, Hoyt, plays music and dances around the room before blowing up a ship full of people. But, if your child is 14+, or if you're interested in it, I would say it's definitely worth it. In addition to the insanely fun single player, there's also a competitive online multiplayer and a completely different co-op story you can play with three of your closest friends. I hope, if you're still reading, that this review helps you to make the right decision. Thanks for reading! -Frank

Parent of a 2 and 10 year old Written byReviewsDaily October 12, 2013

has a content filter, which i know is a highlight for most parents

Fine for an 11 year old child. If your child knows right from wrong, which they should. Most of us raise our kids that way. The game INCLUDES A CONTENT FILTER for blood and nudity, but not language. But most of the language and all nudity is in cutscenes which may be skipped and with children being impatient now adays, what child will watch cutscenes!

Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written byMerrianL January 14, 2013

Okay for a mature 13-and-up, and actually fairly interesting!

I got this for my 13 year old son, Russel, expecting it to be very violent and inappropriate. However, since he's mature for his age and gets good grades I was pretty sure he could handle it. While it wasn't exactly clean, it wasn't as bad as I expected. There is swearing, but nothing any kid wouldn't have heard before. The blood can easily be turned off, and the one sex scene is avoidable and the woman's breasts are obscured by tribal paint. I wouldn't get this for your kid if you don't think they can handle it, but I think any fairly mature child over 13 or so wouldn't be negatively effected by this game's inappropriate content. Plus, this game has interesting gameplay, beautiful scenic vistas with great graphics, and even though I couldn't appreciate the shooting, most of the game was actually quite interesting! Overall, I think this is a well produced and substantive game, which--while being somewhat inappropriate at times--your child can probably handle. It's really up to you as a parent, but I recommend this game.

Adult Written byAllAdviceLady December 18, 2012

Ok for 13+

I think the game is a beautiful artistic scenery and everything and it would be for kids 13 and above. Things you have to look out for: sex- In a cut-scene that is optional to watch or you can skip it, also breasts but covered with some paint a bit. Language- All bad language is found in the cut-scenes, which again is optional to watch. Violence- If blood is an issue you can easily turn it off if needed, but basically similar to Call Of Duty video game(s) and Skyrim.

Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written byStephen the great December 26, 2012

Not for kids

Good game but has lots of violence sex swearing and drugs. Also there is nudity.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byLoving Mother 1968 April 3, 2013

PARENTS READ!!!!!!

Please believe me, this game is not as bad as you think. It is not that realistic and violence is infrequent. The game is about a man trying to save his family and friends

Adult Written byKnowledgeSeeker December 29, 2012

Great Game for Mature Teens

This is a fantastic open-world first-person shooter for mature teenagers 14 and older. There is a great deal of violence in this game, as there is in any first-person shooter, not to mention language, sex, and drug use. There is also a generous amount of swear words including f**k, s**t, and b***h. However, most of the swearing is found in the cutscenes, which can be skipped. In addition to this, several references to illicit drugs can be found, including a man smoking marijuana. As for the sex; there are two scenes in which a tribal woman is seen topless with paint and jewelry. These two scenes can be skipped. One of them is only available if the player chooses to go down a darker path near the end of the game. The violence is mild compared to most first-person shooters, like the Call of Duty and Halo series. Other than these mature themes that most mature teenagers will easily be able to handle, this is a once-in-a-generation experience. There is a whole beautiful tropical island to explore and complete missions and other activities in, as well as customize and improve equipment. I would recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a good open-world game and/or shooter.
Adult Written byRick Calsckek July 8, 2013

Why Farcry 3 is OK for your teenager.

Look people, I can see why all you parents think this game is the worst and that it is too violent for children. The thing is, now a days most PG-13 rated movies are about as violent as this and some are even more. If your 13 year old walked into the room while you where watching World War Z, would you turn it off because its too violent and intense or would you turn off Titanic because it shows breasts in full view and has a sex scene in it. At 13, your "kid" knows as much about violence and sex as the average adult. You can't corrupt your "child" with knowledge they already possess. Parents, unlike games like GTA or Call of Duty, Farcry 3 does not glorify sex or violence and the only Nudity in the game is in the BAD ending. It is just a story about a man who goes through great suffering just to save the ones he loves. How is that not a good message. I will guarantee you that your 13 or older will not be corrupted by this game or its messages. If he/she is, they will tell you. Parents, please give this game a chance, I beg you - Rick

Adult Written byGEORGE Q FORN December 6, 2012

know your kid

the sex is an issue but its only if you complete the bad ending and the language isnt often but i never herd a c word throughout the whole game fine for a mature teen

Adult Written byUser28 December 31, 2014

More violent then you think, ( rape, torture ) - SPOILER

First I would like to tell about the violence of this game, a lot of revues says that it isn't that violent and that you can turn the blood off, which I think is true you can turn the blood off but that's not the point. There is a mission where you find your friend traumatized in some crazy man's basement, in the basement there is a chainsaw laying on a cabinet at the oder end of the room, your friend is on a small bed and you don't get to see the scene but they make it very obvious in the story that your friend has been raped, after that the man who did that says your friend can go but you can't, so you have to kill him by putting a knife true is body. An other violent scene in a mission is when you must click on the controller to hit you brother in the face to times in a row so you can then push a bullet deep in his shoulder with your thumb by constantly holding on ''X'' , you can here him screaming by the way, they made it very realistic. These two scene are the worst I think but steel there is a scene where your finger get cut off, a scene where your friend die, a scene where you pass a knife 3,4 times in a row true Vaas body, ex ex. Sex, well there is a few scenes where you can see boobs and a scene where you have sex with Citra, and if you are concerned about bad language well you should not play this game because it has a ton of it and finally drug use, there is a few scene where you have to take some kind of drug and the bad guys in these game have coke on theme very often. Don't get me wrong thought, I think this game is not for children and is too violent but it steel is very well done, the graphics are super good and some missions are very fun, it's also really nice how you can do mission in more then one way.

Parent of an infant, 5, 7, 10, 14, and 18+ year old Written byJoejoejoejoe April 27, 2013

Best game this year

Nudity lots of "words" and drugs

Parent Written byRating Gamer January 15, 2013

Can you Give Me a Break?

Yes, A lot of kids play m rated games, but it doesn't mean the can't... This game is just plain amazing... Yes theres Violence, Nudity... But when your kids are mature enough to play this game, Then go for it...
Adult Written bycats12345 January 9, 2013

Far Cry 3

I think this game is great. It has no TERRIBLE parts in it so for that reason i believe that a responsible 12 year old could play this game.
Adult Written byGamingGuy123 May 2, 2013

Great Game

First off, this game is great. But there are some issues. Violence: The violence is not a big issue, as it is nothing different from most M rated games. You are killing cruel and inhumane people, and cannot kill civilians. The language is not as bad as games like Call of Duty (mainly because there is only language in cut scenes, and cut scenes aren't too frequent), and cut scenes are skippable. Sex is a slight issue, as there is one scene where a woman's breasts are somewhat shown. The reason I say somewhat is, because her breasts are painted over and are not fully revealed. Also, you will only see this cut scene if you choose the evil ending, and once again, the cut scene is skippable.

Adult Written byphilsmom December 16, 2012

OK

Appropriate for a mature 12 yr old. But not my first choice.

Parent of a 15 year old Written byRichard Civic August 14, 2013

Great Game, 16 and Up

This game is truly a modern masterpiece, involving the player in a world that is so much more than what it seems at first glance. There IS violence, however it is not as excessive as games such as CoD or Battlefield; games solely based on killing. Having played all 3 Far Cry games, I can say that this one is without a doubt the best of them. My kid is 16, and I think that at this age players can understand the story and have a sufficient level of maturity to handle the violence and swearing. A must play for anyone over 16.

Adult Written byDean Agulare June 14, 2014

Great!

It is a very good game for a mature 11 year old. It teaches them about animals and the ecosystem. You can skip all the sex. The language is ok, because the child has probobly heard any words in school. The main character tries to save his friends.

Adult Written bychristian2011 September 7, 2013

Exhilirating action-packed first person shooter with a marvelous landscape and graphics, including endless fun opportunities to choose from.

(May Contain Spoilers!) Far Cry 3 is a marvelous first person shooter in which the character has a large magnitude of options to choose from throughout the game, such as buying and customizing weapons, hunting animal challenges, bounty hunting, liberating enemy hideouts, and of course - multiplayer - and much, much more. The open world is set off of beautiful jungles and islands set off of the South Pacific, which you encounter exotic animal species, such as tigers, buffalo, tapir, komodo dragons, cassowaries, leopards, etc. The story sets off as a bunch of young adults including the main protagonist Jason Brody that go skydiving with his girlfriend, in which they become unfortunate victims of a massive drug, sex and weapon trafficking cartel shortly after they land on the island. The main antagonists are Vaas - the psychotic warlord of the north islands, and his boss is the Hoyt Volker - the one that's behind the whole cartel that overtook the island and mainly responsible for kidnapping Jason Brody's friends including his younger brother Riley and older brother Grant. It's your job to save them, using any opportunity available. For the content advisory - the violence is intense, graphic and bloody, which you have a multitude of different weapons and skill sets of how you want to kill your enemies, ranging from pistols, magnums, sniper rifles, shotguns, LMG's, machine guns, explosives and launchers. There's practically no gore when you kill enemies and animals, except for when you skin animals. The language is very strong and pervasive in the game - countless uses of f**k, mother**ker, sh*t and crude terms such as d**k, c**t, a**hole, also talk and heavy implications of prostitutions and rape. There is one explicit sex scene where a woman drugs and straddles on top of Jason later in the game - exposed breasts are seen, but marked with tribal markings. Drugs play a MAJOR role in this game, which you have certain missions which you burn vast fields of grown marijuana, stashed loads of cocaine and heroin, plus one character drugs you to the point where you experience highly realistic hallucinations which look and sound frightening. Far Cry 3 is an exhilarating action-packed adventure with vast open world opportunities and options, BUT, the storyline is dark and the antagonists are sadistic and brutal; violence is excessive and bloody (some gore), pervasive language including crude sex references such as rape, several scenes of disturbing torture where a person is burned alive, beaten to death in a chair, and another buried with graphic rotting corpses. This shows that it's not a game intended for people under 17.

Adult Written byCakeOverLoad February 12, 2016

Far cry 3 is an adult game you need to understand

Everyone needs to under stand not all games are created for kids, Some games are directed to the Adult Audience NOT ALL FOR KIDS. Far cry 3 should never come into mind as a thought of "i wonder if i should get this for my 12 year old son". Never should that thought enter your head. You cannot even start on the violence in the game that was intended to Make Adults Cringe! If even Grown men Are Sometimes Disturbed by the content in this game then imagine the effect on your kid that wants to play the game.