Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Gears of War 2

Gory yet well-done shooter meant for adults only.

Parent Written byStomp a Waffle January 28, 2010

10+. Language and Gore can be turned off.

A very fun, but violent game. The Language and Gore can be turned off so that is a plus for concerned parents. In this game you are battling subhuman monsters, not humans.. Online game play is also a great time. My kids play it and love this game. I also let them play left4 dead. They have a good understanding of the differences between just a game and real life. We have open discussions about this subject each time they get a new game. I also will not allow them at this age to play shooter type games that pair human against human.. That just helps keep the pretend seperate from reality....

Adult Written by#1 dad May 30, 2012

Not as bad as you think

I know in the discription of the game it say's it's very gory and lost of language BUT DON'T WORRY YOU CAN TURN IT OFF. And I have sat down with my 11 year old son and you only kill aliens no humans. overall its a very good game i would say 11 and up.
Adult Written byhma400 April 14, 2009

Great game

it is amazing. i love it. the best graffics. And you can turn everything thats bad (blood,dialogue) in the options menu
Adult Written byAli McClark September 18, 2011

An amazing Islam-Friendly game

This game was quite a good game. Instead of killing people, like in a lot of other games, you kill huge monsters and aliens. Now, the reason the ESRB rated it "M" was because it has a lot of blood, sometimes the alien's arm will fall off when shot too much, and there is a little bit of language. But all these things can be turned off in the menu, so no more chainsaw, bad words or blood! Also, in most games, the Muslims are either the bad guys, or not the good guys. But in the Gears of War series, your character likes Islam and later converts. He says things like "For God", or "We fight only in the way of God." You even get to save Mosques from being destroyed. But it's not racist. When a character in the game asks you to come back to Christianity, your character says "To you your religion, and to me mine." Overall, this was a great 3rd person game, with not much violence with the settings, and Islam friendly.

Adult Written byDeltaJ July 18, 2011

M is for Mature.

I'm not a parent, just an Uncle who wants his nephew to not be exposed to things he shouldn't be exposed to including these games. It's a game strictly for adults. Parents(or Uncles and Aunts like myself) respect the ratings M is for mature.

Adult Written byimm June 19, 2011

Not so bad as you think

For all you parents that wont let your kids to play this game, -BLAM- i have a 7 yr old son and a 3 year old daughter that loves to watch him play, my son is probably the most fright tend kid in the world, but he doesn't get scared of this game, iv'e played it with him a few times and he just went nuts when he chainsawed that locust thing or whatever but i was a bit concerned about the guts and limbs and heads and torsos so, i just turned off the blood which was easy. worth the money,a bit Gorey but easy solution, various guns and moves...Bye

Adult Written byChandler123 April 28, 2011

Very impressive game

This game is amazing. if the gore is a problem, you can turn it off in options. The main character, Marcus, treats his comrads Carmine, Dom, and Tai like brothers. Marcus is a very respectable man who could be looked up too.

Adult Written bym00kyst March 11, 2011

The content isn't as bad as you might think.....

The game is undeniably violent, however I first played the game when I was 13 and I had no problem handling it or didn't become violent myself or aggressive whilst playing it. I think a lot of people under estimate kids and really need to realise that unless your child is exceptionally more aggressive normally, games (way within reason) should be fine for them. Give them a decent amount of time to play it and don't let them go on it for hours on end and it should be fine. The game itself is very violent, with lots of shooting and even a weapon with a chainsaw attachment that can be used for cutting enemies in half. However take into consideration that you are killing (and chainsawing) evil alien monsters NOT people. Kids know the difference between a monster and a human and I definitely think that the chainsaw feature isn't that bad because like I said, there are no HUMAN enemies. The language is moderate. It does contain a few f-bombs but very few and on top of that guess what, you can go into the options and turn OFF the language and turn OFF the gore! Not so bad after all eh?! It doesn't have many f-words in though, however when you get to my age you hardly notice the language. My friends use worse language in this game so i'm generally used to it. The game is a fantastic one, and I highly recommend it. Remember, all you parents, you've got that language and gore on/off feature so you can turn it all off if you wish. Happy gaming. Peace.

Parent of a 13 and 16 year old Written byTony236 January 7, 2011

Meh

I would say that this game is ok for kids around the age of 14 because of the emotional and gore

Parent Written bySinfulRose December 29, 2010
elitzur i played the game lol he couldnt take her to the doctors and the game isnt a athiest game,it is very very gory made me want to throw up.Good for 16 or up

Adult Written byGearsFan234 December 29, 2010

Just take off the blood.

FUN FUN FUN!!

Adult Written bynnick December 27, 2010

deck the halls with blood and gore.

first of all, i hope nobody is actuly trying to stil by this game. it is a lot of fun but it's over the top with some things like violence and out of control cussing. if you are trying to find a good new ggame don't get this one.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byisaac4christ November 9, 2010

Parent of a 14 year old Written bymrpoo September 12, 2010

gears of war 2

VERY gory

Parent of a 13 year old Written bydr.andrewsmith August 2, 2010

Don't get it!!!!!!!! I used to play Pac-Man and now all I do is run from ghosts and eat dots saying wocka-wocka-wocka! My brother used to play Mario and now he just chases girls around and has nightmares about monkeys!

Privacy & Safety
Parent of a 16 year old Written byReal Reviews July 27, 2010

Perfect for teens and adults

Great Game. Ok for kids because you can turn blood and language off which would practically make it ok for anyone. The only other issue is that it can be a bit scary.

Adult Written byFiggy66 July 26, 2010

Not ok for 13 or under

This game is sooooooooooo gory i had a hard time playing it, not for kids. It was a good game though, but iwth alot of swearing and alot of gore.

Parent Written by[email protected] April 28, 2010

Too violent and plagued by terrible language!

Parent of a 3, 4, 10, 12, 13, and 15 year old Written byMajorDraco January 19, 2010

Older Teens Maybe

I love this game for me, I would not recommend it for any children, older teens maybe. I play it after the children are fast asleep. So much blood and gore, lots of graphic killing and curse words every couple of minutes.

Parent Written byPlague December 17, 2009

Gears of War 2

Fun, fun, fun. Loved it from beginning to end. Great thrid person shooter with easy controls, and epic battles. A definint 5 star.