Parent reviews for Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

GTA comes to the Nintendo DS, but it's NOT FOR KIDS.

Adult Written byJPerryman3898 June 29, 2019

play when your 18 and up

dont buy the game if your under age of 18

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byPhilip Hicks November 4, 2021

Grand Theft Review

When I first played Chinatown Wars, I never knew about the format, but when I later played it, it was amazing!

Adult Written byJimJamTheMan January 13, 2020

Adult Written byHois September 30, 2019
Adult Written byNintendofan124 September 7, 2019
Adult Written byProgamer99 June 30, 2019

Think twice

This game contains adult content that might mentally damage younger people

Parent of a 10-year-old Written bylacka lacka June 1, 2019

good for teens, but not for young kids

Grand theft auto is a game that allows you to do things anything a criminal would do for example hijacking cars and killing random and innocent people off the streets. But at the same time, the game is pixelated and not graphic. But the worst part of the game is teaching different names of drugs. Also the game has tons of swearing. which teens are use to.

Adult Written byAmy T. November 4, 2017

Adult Written byJames K. December 7, 2016

GREAT GAME! HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!

I do understand other parents' concerns with this game, as it does enhance violence at some point, but on the other hand, I think it is an educational and appropriate game for children above the age of 10. When my son started playing, I had my doubts, but after hours of playing with him, I realized this was a great game. Soon thereafter, I recommended this game for my coworkers, who then began playing this game with their sons. Every Friday night, my family and I gather around our Xbox and begin playing the game. I am thankful for GTA because it allows me to teach my son various things that occur in the real world. I feel that this prepares him for what is to come in his life, along with awareness of right and wrong. Overall, I think this is a good game for kids above the age of 10/11. Finally, I would like to wrap up this review by giving a quick reminder to all the parents reading this.
I realize that this game seems difficult to allow your children access to, but we have to let them grow up at some point, and if this is what they want, then so be it, but I strongly believe that they should be allowed to play it. I think that you, as a parent, should watch over them for the first few times they play, but once you explain right from wrong to them and the consequences of such actions, you should let them play this if you believe they understand your explanations.

And I hope I have influenced your thoughts about this game.

Adult Written bybuketserefli February 2, 2015

Adult Written byjynrsghrr January 27, 2015

Awsome

Awesome game has some vilons and cusing

Adult Written byDiana Suchromokov March 12, 2012

The game is OK for mature kids ages 11 AND UP

Im a mother of 2 children/boys Noah (11) and Aberham (9). My older son, practically begged me to get this gta ds chinatown game for his 12th birthday but I told him no due to my last experiences with the game for the PS3. But, I didnt want to disappoint him on this birthday so I read a review of the game at gamestop, talked to the clerk and even had a 1 hour play of the game before buying or leaving it. After I played it I noticed that the game is ok for kids 11 and up as long as theyre mature about it. For parents to understand, the game isnt half bad or innopropriate because I played it myself. It has cursing thats for sure but the most common words said are the F and S word and I know as my children grow older theyll use those words themselves (as do I sometimes too!) The game has no sexuall acts at all but alittle romance touch to it but its not graphic. There is violence but its all 2d so there is little to no blood what so ever. There is a small part in the game that talks about drugs and players are then told to set a weed plant on fire to get rid of local neiboring gangs. I actually enjoyed the game myself. I love it when you can walk into a store and play the lottery and use the ds pen to scratch off scratch cards. So if your child is 11 and over and has asked you if they can get this game, let them be because its not bad at all and youll even enjoy playing it!

Adult Written byits OK for them! March 11, 2012

Give them a try, its toned down for kids!

As a father of 2 sons, I always never allowed my kids to play violent games. But, as all parents hate to go through those beginning anto be or already teens, my son became interested in Grand Theft Auto after watching his cousins play it on there PS2 (I believe so). One day, I was in gamestop with my son and daughter and my son saw the game Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars for ds. Automatically I saw the M sign in my head and I said no. But my son kept on saying its modified for kids on the ds system. So I asked the clerk about the game and he said he would recommened it for the age 13 and up but I declined and asked If i can play the game at the store. I played and I was suprised! The gta for ds is ok for kids 11, 12 or up! First of, the game is top down so the game isnt so bloody. Also, if parents worry about sexuall acts , there are none! The worst there is, is the protoganist having romance with a girl and it isnt strong or graphic. The game is also cartoony so it all looks like a comic book (in other words,a bit chessy but dont tell the kids since the game is just $29) There is strong language, but from a fathers eyes, I believe its ok since the only common cuss words is the f word and the s word. Drugs is only mentioned a few times in the game, except one where you set weed plants on fire (thats exellent for kids to want to do that!). For parents that want the game that dosent have cursing for there kids, you can order it online from gamefly. Also the game is worth you $30 bucks and the game is very long so it will make them keep quite and play. GTA chinatown wars for ds is amazing and is deffinitely ok for kids 11 or up. So when you see the m sign on the game, dont hesitate on whether you should buy it or not. Its ok for kids and dont stress over it, your kids will not start hijaking cars and shoot people after he plays. Its ok for 11 year old minds and i believe they can take it. So just give them a try.

Parent of a 10-year-old Written bymindo5522 January 5, 2010

lil turd

i think its ok to much profanity but i can gio through with it.

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written bySillygostly September 9, 2009

Fantastic

Chinatown Wars is a fantastic reimagining of the popular Grand Theft Auto series of games designed exclusively for the Nintendo DS (although lackluster sales have prompted Rockstar to port the game over to the iPhone and PSP).

GTA:CW returns to the root of what made the GTA series so much fun in the first place, and even the most casual of GTA fans is likely to enjoy this.

New to the series is drug trafficking; and plays can buy and trade in an assortment of illegal drugs. There is no drug use depicted in the game, however, parents may be concerned with the strong drug references that are prevalent throughout the game.

Naturally, the game contains a fair amount of violence, however the impact is minimised due to the undetailed, cartoon-like graphics. Characters, both criminal and innocent, can be attacked with a wide range of projectile weapons, and can even be burnt alive or hacked and slashed with the use of a chainsaw. Criminal acts will attract the attention of authority figures, which limits the appeal of murdering bystanders.

The game also contains some strong coarse language in the form of f--- and c--t, however the language is more often subtitled in cut-scenes, and is seldom spoken. Civilians and drug dealers may occasionally use the F word.

Those looking for an authentic and above all, FUN Grand Theft Auto experience should look no further.

Parent of a 11, 14, and 15-year-old Written byGamermommy April 7, 2009

Iffy

As a mother I hesitated on whether I should buy this for my 11 year old boy or not. But I finally said as long as I get to see it first. So I did I played it for an hour on our ds system and I felt that this game is ok for children 11 and older. I felt that any child at my sons age should be comfortable with playing this game. There is no graphic sex, there is bad language but all the words said on the system are read not spoken. The violence is 2d so not a lot of gore is shown. And finally drugs. Drugs are sometimes a topic but you never actually take drugs in the game. I hope that when you see the rating mature, that you just don't assume the worst.
Parent of a 10 and 15-year-old Written byAskmeanything March 22, 2009

After the lost and damned...

Ever since the lost and damned I've been worried about the Grand Theft Auto series.I saw the nude guy in the Tom Stubbs mission.I know it wasn't graphic but soon after that I became worried about the next gta.This one was decent and my kids love it.No nude guys or anything.I guess this game is a must have for DS owners and trust worthy kids.
Parent of a 11, 13, and 16-year-old Written bytherightchoices March 22, 2009

Wheres the real GTA?

Adult Written byemocry247 March 18, 2009

no i didn't cry i laughted

i like to play games if you dont mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adult Written byEvangelos94 March 17, 2009