All parent member reviews for Halo 3: ODST

Adult Written byThe Fair Rater August 5, 2010

No Halo game should be rated M

Bungie did a wonderful job on Halo ODST. It is highly entertaining and has the violence of a T game. Unfortunately ERSB doesn't see to notice that. Blood is minimal and is only green, blue, and orange . The violence in game is exaggerated .This game is appropriate for any twelve year old and mature elven year olds. I hope this was a helpful review.
Adult Written byWarri August 7, 2010

Good for 15+

The violence in this game moderate violence and has some blood. The language could be offensive for some younger kids.
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written byAvengingRelic October 2, 2009

My son's been playing halo since he was 6. Never been a problem.

It's a lot like the other Halo games. Same weapons and moves. You're just not as resilient as the original hero. Still fun with gorgeous maps. The online experience can be somewhat annoying though with all the trash talking, but fortunately there's a function in the xbox that allows you to mute anyone that's not on your friends list.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byjakeb.johnson November 13, 2013

good for 12+

It is a good game. Not like the new ones but there may be blood but its blue or green no red ,but some curse words like d*mn,
Parent of a 15 year old Written byrobert brode September 1, 2012

LEARNING

this game is good trust me

This game is a mix ok. it has the main character as a depressed soldier but he is looking for his team. This is a message a message of hope hope to find his team. and the hole time he is finding clues to the past of how his team got where. I believe this game is not bad for young kids video games is not about killing or not being active its about fun, options, and the story line its not being athletic but it is mentally athletic.
Parent Written byPizza slicer 222 May 3, 2012

Are they crazy!

That's not sensible it's all cartoony maybe 3 or 4 h**l will come up but not even an utter of s**t maybe online besides it is completely appropriate just if you have let your other children play halo let them play this some halos are more in appropriate
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byallthedrones November 11, 2011

Don't forget, FPS and tactical shooters are logic games, too!

One point that often gets overlooked about many first-person shooter games (and almost all tactical shooters) is that (at least when playing the campaign mode) they have strategy elements that are good logic puzzles. I've watched my preteen kids play Halo, and they spend more time problem-solving and using critical-thinking skills than they do shooting or being shot at. I don't let them play the online modes of ANY games yet, they need to develop a stronger grasp on the safeguarding themselves in online interactions (maybe 14, we'll see). As for language, the game has language that my preteens are not allowed to USE, but surely they've HEARD it all before from their peers or in other media. With parental guidance and daily classroom environments, I think most kids grasp the concept of what can and can't be repeated way before their preteen years, so the exposure to the language in the game has not been an issue.
Parent Written bygoodmom24 June 3, 2011

good game for middle schoolers and up

its great for kids 12 and up, vilolence is an issue in a way but the blood is blue from aliens no language issue barley any. i have 2 twin 12 yr. olds they love playing multiplayer.
Adult Written byDKR725 February 2, 2011

Biggest Joke of A Halo game

Here's the rundown, I hate this series and this game. Especially this one. It is a complete waste of time and money. It has a dryer than dry storyline, and a complete joke of a multiplayer. The multiplayer is virtually the same as Halo 3. It was as if the producers just wanted to get away with doing as little as possible. If you have played any halo game other than wars, you would be a fool to have you or your kids play this game.
Parent of a 7, 7, 10, 12, and 14 year old Written bya sane person November 28, 2010

One of the best and most innaccuratley rated games.

This is a great game, and M rating isn't too far off, but T would be more accurate. First off, its not a good choice for 11-, but 12 is a good age to think about it. Commonsense had a decent review of it, but exagerated the violence. The violence is like Star Wars Battlefront 2 meets COD 3, and the blood is always discolored, unless you shoot your teammates. But even the youngest kids know thats wrong. The langauge is probably why it was rated M, because they do use some strong langauge such as bullsh*t, a**hole, and b*stard, but thats nothing compared to Gearsof War, Black Ops, or Bad company 2. And yes it does have online chat, but you can mute people if they cuss, but only about one in every twelve people cuss, which is about 8% out of 100.
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written byDC70 September 19, 2010

OK

it is a good game but not the best in the seriece
Adult Written byUltimateHaloFan September 3, 2010

It just deppends

This is a game where you shoot aliens but no people. The aliens are violent and may be disturbing to some kids. There is quite a spill of blood but 90% of it is alien blood. It is blue green, orange, and sometimes red. when u shoot the certain aliens that have red blood there is ALOT! when you shoot a dead PERSON blood flies out and dripps on the ground. You can also kill your own guys and there will be blood. You can also go up to aliens and whack them with your gun, or hammer. There is alot of H*LL. I mean ALOT! you almost always hear what the H*LL. *ssh*ole is used. And so is Sh*t a couple times. B**tards is used maybe about 15 times in the game. Son of a B*t*h is used only once or twice. D*MN is used quite a bit... D*MN the aliens! is yelled a couple few times. I WAANNA SHOOT IM IN A REAL BAD MOOD! is used sometimes, angrily. die Die DIE! is used alot angrily too. If you go on Xbox Live with a headset you CERTANLY will hear the F word ALOT! and other curse words. The violence is not that intense either. But it mostly just depends on your kids' attitudes. If your kids run around the house cursing and screaming DIE!!!! don't get this game for them
Parent of a 10 year old Written bymjdtherealdeal June 23, 2010

Halo is one of the best series for kids new to FPS

This is almost a cartoony game. They do not really swear, but c'mon, we all swear. All of us. Kids are going to hear it. Its fun and has a great story. The control are easy and my ten year old loves it.
Parent of a 4 and 10 year old Written bycalicocat March 18, 2010

Adult Written byhalodude11 March 13, 2010

halo odst is an awsome game but the violance is bad because you can see blood in the aliens.And as far as cursing goes you hear ***hole bull**** s*** but no F***
Parent of a 3 year old Written bythe parent March 9, 2010

why the !@#$%^&* is this game rated M? doesnt make any sense. should be rated T or E10.
Parent Written byPlague January 8, 2010

Halo 3: ODST

A fun addition to the Halo series. I'm not a big Halo fan, but this game has that catchiness to it. Very easy to master the controls and go on about killing enemy aliens.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byAlesmith December 17, 2009

Pretty Tame For A Mature Rating

If you envisioned mature games as a ladder, Halo would be the very bottom rung. At times while looking at the rating on the Halo series I find myself struggling to think of why it honestly even qualifies for the rating in an era where we find the daily spoon-feeding of media to be much more taboo by comparison. Yes the game is violent and there is a light touch of gore but this is mostly in the sense that if you get shot, something has to happen. Halo has chosen various colored splotches of alien "blood". At its worst I'd say the concept of gunning down hordes of aliens is probably this game's core failing in its level of maturity. Ultimately I'd equate Halo to your average PG-13 action movie these days, easily suitable for a relatively mature teenager in my opinion.
Parent of a 5, 10, and 13 year old Written byOcelot December 8, 2009

Baaad game Baaad Review

Woh woh woh woh. OK, IF YOUR GOING TO BUY THIS GAME FOR YOUR 16 YEAR OLD YOU MIGHT AS WELL BUY CALL OF DUTY MODERN WARFARE 2 AS WELL i am VERY surprised that this game did not receive a No Kids rating, the violence and language is on par of that in COD MW2 which did receive a No Kids rating. also this game is terrible and short do your kids a favor and get Call Of Duty
Adult Written byDrSpongebob December 7, 2009

Perfect Game For A First M Game

I know it may seem crazy to say 13 but when you buy this you will understand why.This is the second M game I bought my children. This is probably the worst rated game ever. Next to Halo 3. Both of which really are badly rated. I know my children are only 13 but I know that this game is ok for 13 year olds maybe even younger if they are mature. I am telling you now that this is the leaast violent M game you will see next to Halo 3. A small splash of blood comes out of enemies only, emphasize the only..., when the shields of an enemy has been out out. so its not like every time you shoot someone an endless trail of blood comes pouring out. If you think this is a violent game than I promisethat you wwill not fnd alessviolent one