Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Heavy Rain

Visually striking thriller about kid killer with gore, sex.

Parent Written byEthan_Mars May 17, 2013

Jason!

Adult Written byAnonymos June 26, 2019

This game has no inappropriate content

Adult Written byJamesWalker March 24, 2019

Very good game but can get quite freaky

Adult Written byTeagan R. July 24, 2018

Heavy Rain will pull at your heartstrings!!

I absolutely love this game. ( SPOILERS AHEAD ) Soo, if you cry easily you might not make it through this game. It's a beautiflly done story about testing how far youll go to save someone you love. It does have quite a lot of death scenes, but gore really isn't present. However, someone is strapped to a table, with a drill about to go into their hoo ha. Nothing is shown but for her beating up the dude :) THre are drugs and alchohol, because your characters with drink every now and then, and one of your characters tales some sort of drug to constantly keep his mind correct, but the drug part is avoidable. There are a lot of scenes with naked people, however, it is mainly them in the shower, but there are some sexual scenes, where Madison ( your character ) is forced to strip down at gun point ( don't worry, she beats the dudes ass ) and how two people have sex, but just legs and naked male top is shown. For the overall maturity, it get's into detail pretty quick. It feels so real when a character dies, or when someone that matters in the game dies, because it goes into detail pretty well. There are cries and screams when your son it hit by a car, and when someone cuts off their finger, they cry pretty loudly. So uhhh yeah its a great game also, check out Detroit Become Human bevause it is made by the same people. Buy this game for your kid if they are mature. A fifth grader might not be able to play this.
Adult Written byicybluex5 January 22, 2018

Incredible game

I think this game is amazing. It’s a story about how much length a father would go to save his son. There is some sex, good amount of language, and other adult subjects but I don’t think it’s anything someone 15 or older couldn’t handle. The story is a choice game so you get to choose what happens and I think it’s unique and fun to play. It can be emotional and depressing sometimes but the story is great and realistic. There is quite some violence but i don’t think it’s too bad. It teaches people you never know how long you’re going to have someone in your life and the characters are interesting. I would totally recommend this game!
Parent of a 14 year old Written byHanna1267 December 25, 2014

Depends on your child's behavior and maturity

This game is absolutely amazing, great story line. However, if you feel that your child is immature i wouldn't recommend this game. There is bad language, nudity, violence and sex. This seems quite bad however all the nudity can be avoided, you just simply choose not to shower with Ethan and Madison. The sex can be avoided as well simply by not letting two of the characters kiss when given the option. If you want a certain ending you will have to make them kiss, that's all they will do and none of the sex is shown on camera. The violence is pretty much the same as most games now days, but less than games like Call Of Duty. The language really isn't that bad compared to other 15 rated games. This game does have quite a dark storyline but it is a fantastic game so if you feel your child is mature enough to play it, let them. I let my 14 year old daughter play it and she absolutely loved it. It all depends on your childs maturity and how much you trust them not to copy some of the actions. This game does have an overall good message though about seeing how far you would go to save someone you love.

Adult Written bychristian2011 June 10, 2013

Fantastic, well-written dark psychological thriller game with unique twists.

Heavy Rain is an incredibly unique type of game where the actions you take are like options, where you decide to pick which of those options are the best and most wise. The storyline, plot and setting is great and keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time, including unraveling shocking and unexpected twists throughout. However, this does not mean it's for everyone. Heavy Rain is a very dark, psychological-horror thriller type of game which centers around the actions of the deranged and sadistic Origami Killer, whom tortures and murders young children, and it's your goal to seek justice in stopping his reign of terror and murder. This alone tells you immediately that this game is definitely not for kids and younger teens - best for mature older teens and adults. It contains sequences of strong graphic violence, disturbing and gruesome images, torture, and detailed grisly images of the killers victims. Be aware of the strong (sometimes frequent) profanity involved (uses of the f-word, gd, sh*t) and yes, there are some quite intimate and graphic sexual scenes including nudity in the game, including one character death scene that involves necrophilia. Heavy Rain is an video game meant for adults because of the strong violent content, disturbing imagery, language, sexual themes, nudity and drug usage. At least 17+

Adult Written byitalianlady1991 August 17, 2012

Not for Kids

Adult Written byPoint_Particle April 14, 2011

This game is fantastic, but not for the younger audience.

Wonderful game, great story and character. It is a pretty hard game if you play it on the hard settings, which i recommend for the experienced player. When played on the easy settings it is a very easy game. Everything about this game is top notch, defiantly a game for the more intellectual player.

Adult Written byPL Hans November 26, 2010

I never played the game, but I watched a walkthrough

In the version I saw, the main characters had their weaknesses, but struggled through them to help others. Ethan Mars goes to extreme lengths to help his son, Madison Page sacrifices a lot to help Ethan, Norman Jayden gives up his drug addiction to help find the killer, and Scott Shelby goes out of his way to protect a prostitute and a cashier who's being robbed.

It plays out very similar to a movie. there is a dramatic beginning, opening titles, rising action, a definite climax, and then a satisfactory conclusion. The plot is about an attempt to save a young boy's life and stop a serial killer, so the messages are positive. The content, however, is major red flag for some ages.

Content Summary
(NOTE: all the content below is taken from the walk-through that I watched; thus, there may be more or less, depending on the choices you make)
Drug Content: Moderate-6/10
Norman Jayden is addicted to a fictional drug. He takes two trips, and is tempted to do so other times. We see him experiencing some negative consequences as a result, including hallucinations and blackouts.

Language: Major-7/10
About 50-100 profanities in all. Some uses of f*ck(including a couple combined with "mother"), as well as sh*t, and other milder language.

Sexual Content: Major-7/10:
Ethan is seen nude in the shower(we see bare buttocks, but no full frontal nudity). Madison is forced to strip down to bra and panties by a thug with a gun. She is also assaulted by several rapists, who briefly paw at her torso(she's wearing panties and a tank top). She's also knocked out by a elderly doctor who then slowly runs his hands along her body(his doesn't last long). Shelby enters a prostitute's apartment, and she references sex, but this doesn't go anywhere.

Violence: Extreme-9/10:
Shelby, Madison, and Jayden gets into several brawls, punching and smashing opponents. Ethan also injures himself multiple times(we see violent wounds after a car accident and again later when he crawls over glass). There is one extended shootout, with at least a dozen gunmen taken down. The most disturbing violence includes a boy and a woman(separately)getting drowned. One man shoots another point-blank in the head(execution style). The most graphic moments are when a man is run over by a big truck and we see a blood puddle, as well as when a woman stabs an old man in the heart with a drill(he falls on her, adding to the disturbing quality). Also well worth noting is a scene in which a character has to cut off his finger. He grabs his little finger with pliers, and after a long build-up, slams his fist down on them, crushing and cutting his finger off(the impact is felt, but not shown).

In summary, great game for mature audiences.

Adult Written byTom_Gamer_Tom June 4, 2010

Sexual content makes it very mature.

Heavy rain mixes both Violence and sex into the game. Much like God of war. But this has a lot of sexual content. Someone forced to strip at gunpoint and topless women. The more the merrier. The violence is a bit high but its no more than you'd see on an average CSI:Miami program. The language isn't too bad at all. Its not that bad, The sex isn't as bad as said but it still lingers.

Adult Written byMr. Kitsune May 9, 2010
I love this game. It stole my heart and I believe that it was made solely with me in mind. The game is great but it's not for anyone under 16. There is quite a bit of nudity, a sex scene, heavy laguage and violence, and the setting and themes are too dark for young teens. I think that this an adult only game, but I would let 16 and 17 years olds play too with a little trust.

Adult Written byjoshua martinez April 28, 2010

not for kids.

heavy rain is a thriller game that has a dark story line about a serial killer murdering young kids and parents with this type of storyline you know that this game is not for kids this game is only for adults and parents you need to know that heavy rain has a lot of intense violence a lot of sex and nudity shown also characters used constant strong language throughout the game and characters drink and smoke throughout game the story in this game is very disturbing what you are trying to do is trying to find out who the serial killer is that preys on young children and then kills them and you have to solve crime scenes and finding dead children laying dead in the rain trying to find any clues on who the origami killer is.

Parent of a 17 year old Written byjohnwick13 April 3, 2010

fine for ages 14 and up

i love this game and believe that parents should have faith and let their kids play this

Adult Written byThePrologue March 21, 2010

A game like I never played.

I can safely say I have never played any other game like this. If you are a person who just plays a game for its gameplay and not its story, then this is not for you. They don't even call it a game. They call it an "interactive drama". The game tells the story of tracking down the Origami Killer from the perspective of four different people. I really shouldn't say more because I would spoil it. The gameplay consists of you pressing the buttons on screen and making the motions that the game tells you to. The story can branch off into multiple directions based on what your actions are. One or multiple characters could potentially die and they are gone from the rest of the game. The game does have a few sex scenes and one nude scene of a girl taking a shower. There is some violence in the game like people getting killed and some fist fights.