All parent member reviews for Left 4 Dead 2

Educator Written bymath professor June 18, 2011

Positive message within: this game DEMANDS teamwork, helping others and communication.

For adults and teenagers that are comfortable with gore, this game does provide much more than a visceral experience of running though a zombie apocalypse: a positive message is found within. The game more than promotes teamwork - it demands it. As a human survivor, you spend just as much time protecting, helping and healing teammates as you do yourself - everything from sharing resources to pulling them up off of a ledge. Leaving a teammate behind decreases your own chances by magnitudes, and running off on your own (going "Rambo") is never rewarded and almost always ends badly. The survivors only do well by sticking together and helping one another. Not many games can claim that. The most popular game mode (versus) also allows teams to play on the zombie side, where similar themes are held true: only a team that plans and works together will stop the survivors. Attacking alone rarely has much of an effect, but a few opportunities do exist for zombie heroics (like the coveted death charge). I would not allow a child under the age of 12 play this game. It is quite violent. But for adults and teenagers, this can be a game that offers everything from a quick release to a deep multiplayer or cooperative experience.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byGore Guy December 18, 2010

ok for kids duh

this game is ok for 9 year olds there zomies there mite be some blood and gore but its realistic
Parent Written byJosephLenanman September 8, 2012

LEARNING

Great Game! I am a high school teacher, and I think 13+ should be able to play It

This game is a great game. My son and I play it all the time together. There is no sexual content, and the language is very minor (the worst is d**n no f bomb) The only problem would be the violence. My son is 13 and I do not let him play Call Of Duty or any of those other war games. The reason I let my son play this game is because they are zombies, not humans. I believe in video games where you kill other humans causes people to be violent and i don't think of it as very christian. With zombies I don't have a problem with it. My only concern was that it was bloody (of course it was, what zombie game isn't ). So I did some research, and it turns out you can turn off blood. So my son and I play it without the blood. And the rest is really not that bad. In my opinion a 13 year old boy should be able to get out his violent urge in a game where you are killing not real living things instead of killing people in a game like Call Of Duty. But it all comes down to what you think. P.S - I am a high school teacher, and I still think this game is fine for most 13+
Parent Written byTheNardDog June 7, 2013

Left 4 Dead 2 - Outstanding Zombie Shooter, Requires Teamwork

Left 4 dead 2 is a zombie shooter that requires teamwork. In my opinion it is the best zombie game ever made and I loved it. (Im not a big fan of zombie games) The cast of characters were very developed. The game though is very gory when you are killing zombies. But you also must keep in mind that they are zombies not humans. The game also contains some language like a**, s**t, and d****t but nothing too much. Thanks for reading this review!
Parent Written byJames BlackHeart March 17, 2013

Best Zombie Game Ever, But Also The Most Violent

A Very Fun Zombie Game, But It Is Not For Kids Or My Age. I Believe The Appropriate Age To Play This Game Is, At The Least, A Very Mature 14 Year Old. Machetes, Chainsaws, Firearms, And Many More Are Used To Dismember Zombies. Example: The Axe Can Disembowel Zombies. Many Ways Exist To Mutilate The Zombies. Frequent Use Of Sh*t And B**ch And @$$. Drugs Are Also In This Game, A Injection, Enhances Your Character's Speed.
Adult Written bywhats right February 23, 2011

I both agree and disagree with the 17+ ratings by commonsense media, and by other parents. I agree with them because they say there is too much gore, too much blood, etc. And let me say, I completely agree with that. But at the same time, I completely disagree with tthat because of the option to turn off the blood. So to all you parents out there, I guarantee that if you turn off the blood in this game, you too will see that this amazing game is perfectly fine for anyone 10 and over because without blood, this game would never be even considered to be ratetd M.
Parent Written byPlague December 1, 2009

Left 4 Dead 2

This I think, is a better sequal that most video games produce. I liked that the sequel has newer weapons, variety of zombies and different characters (I personally love to play ellis the redneck). I still think the smokers are little turds though. Haaaate them. IMO, this is a great game for fans of zombie shooters, and people who like to get a good heaping splatter of blood on their virtual hero.
Parent Written byMattJakobs December 2, 2012

LEARNING

Not sutible for 15 and under

I played this game a few times and i love it to pieces but for my 13/14 year old son, No. Maybe in a year or so.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bythomas1foot February 25, 2011

Good for older kids and teens but not for under 10!!!!

It is very fun but a bit disturbing at times 11+ lowest!!!
Parent of a 15 and 17 year old Written byFrost50 October 10, 2010

slight benefits don't outway the drawbacks.

I heard the GDI several times. I consider that worse than the other two cuss words already noted.
Adult Written bymatt71893 March 9, 2011

Good for older teens. Not for anyone under 15.

This is a great game. It demands good communication and teamwork in order to succeed. But parents must also be aware of the EXTREME violence. While the game is very faced paced, there is an obscene amount of blood. It is also very, very gory as the zombies' bodies practically disintegrate as they are sprayed with bullets, resulting in a lot of innards flying everywhere. I would recommend for 18+, perhaps as young as 15 if your child possesses a higher maturity level. I, myself am 18 and I enjoy very much. This is a strictly adults-only game. Any parent who buys this for anyone under 15 should reevaluate their parenting skills.
Adult Written byBill Daniels December 15, 2009

good for tweens and up.

I think this game is for ages 11+. it is a little gory but not anything worse than call of duty. The worst cuss word they say is sh*t and as* hole. I talked to my friends about it and they said they arent going to by it because it looks a little demonic. i can tell you there is nothing in there that makes me think it is demonic i mean zombies dont always have to be spawns of the devil. there are so grotesc creatures but there nothing that bad. the worse thing is there is some gore but its nothing bad like i said nothing worse than call of duty. I think for the parents that think this is to grotesc or it seems demonic listen take it form a fellow adult there is nothing bad about it that they havent already experianced. like 4th 5th and 6th graders are deffiantly exposed to thing along the line of some one saying sh*t or people making crass or crude comments. they dont make any sex jokes or anything along the line of sex. it is a great game i always play with my buddies and we always have to use teamwork to get through the levels. when i was a kid not until 8th grade or highschool friends would start acutly caring about there friends like help them when there hurt or something along the line of that. in this game if you dont heal help and care for your buddies you lose. so i think it teaches kids about having teamwork and learning to care about there peers/friends. I dont think its anything bad you dont need to have it but if you know your child is lacking caring about his friends/family this might be a fun way to make him relize that teamwork and caring about others in very important. I dont think you NEED this game but it is very fun and intressting. the choice is up to you i just hope you take what i said into consideration. again it is not a very bad game. Talk to you later.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bydtsa78cfgs9rovw June 3, 2011

violent but good role models

while left 4 dead 2 may be more gory than the first one, it teaches you that teamwork and working together gets you further because if you let your teammates die you are screwed. by the way......THIS GAME ROCKS!!!i pulled an all nighter playing this game; its that good!!
Adult Written bythe good reviewer February 23, 2011

This game has way, way, way, way, way, way too much blood and gore. Like over the top blood. I would've rated this game iffy for 16+, until my son's friend showed me how you can tone down the blood, and even turn it off! with that optiion, I let my son get it. I personally don't think that anyone under 12 should be watching killing anyways, but when there's no blood, I would let any 12 year old play this game. If you don't turn the blood off though, I would only let a 16 year old play this game.
Adult Written byGamePlayer12 July 18, 2010

Left 4 Dead 2 is a very fun game, Playing as zombies and teaming up to stop the humans or being humans and teaming up to make it to the finish, Is VERY fun. I have gotten addicted to this game for a while now. I'll point out the stuff that may be bad for kids though, The Violence, The violence in this game is pretty extreme, It's from gunning zombies down with machine guns or blowing off their limbs with shotguns, Or taking a Axe to the head of a zombie as blood splatters the screen, The violence is really gory. The Language, The language in this game isn't even close to as bad as game's like GTA4, There are no F words. But God D***, S***. B***** and every other word is used often, Sexual Content, None. Overall, It is Gory, Has some language, But Im sure alot of Teenagers will be able to handle it, It is a very fun game.
Adult Written bycallofduty5 April 8, 2010

oh no zombii 2

perfect sequel for perfect game loved this one too however i hated in it that again blood and gore is extreme i mean its ok too have little blood and gore but not in masses i basically dont care but my kids might :C
Adult Written byPvt. Sokolva January 5, 2011

The games alright; but watch out for the language of fellow online players.

This is a good game....for teenagers and adults. Even a preteen perhaps...but the one thing about this game to keep in mind is that its true beauty (and its point) is to be played online with other people. This is free of charge on the PC and I hear soon it will be for the XBox as well. However. The worst language you will encounter will not be in the actual game, it will be what the other players say into their mics as you play through the levels together. Its great fun, Id recommend it even for someone 14 or 15, but younger than that....eh....it might not be as blatently violent as some games, like Call of Duty Black Ops, but its just different. No storyline...just zombie killing. Maybe its actually more appropriate because of that but, remember, people on the multiplayer online game have very filthy mouths as a rule, can be rude and obnoxious, and the game really has very little else unless you are playing with other people.
Adult Written byNiaba November 23, 2009

i personallu
Adult Written bySamtian November 20, 2009

Ok for tweens on up.

It is violent because in order to survive you have to kill zombies. There can be a lot of blood and loss of limbs, but in the options you can set the gore level to high or low. And there is quiet a bit of swearing. I however do not think this game is a bad game, it may cause kids and even adults to have nightmares if they are afraid of zombies.
Adult Written byDescend January 10, 2010

Solid game, but clearly not for kids.

As an avid gamer all my life, now in my late 20s I've been through the whole wanting to play adult games at a younger age. Having played this title a lot since it's release on the 360 I can safely say it's rated accordingly (18 in the UK) for a good reason. The game is clearly aimed at adults, depicting very graphic violence and it doesn't pull many punches. That said, the game is amazingly fun to play and does strongly encourage teamwork. I would be cautious though if any parent has issues about their child being exposed to strong language however if they let them play online, being an adult title players (rightly so) are a lot less likely to censor their language over the in game voice chat. That said, I've lost count of the amount of times I've heard language that would put a cockney dock worker to shame being spouted by 13 year olds on there, so it's all subjective.