Kid reviews for Mass Effect

Ambitious space journey with mature themes.

Teen, 15 years old Written byDragonKing April 24, 2016

Complexity

I feel the complexity of it all would be better grasped by someone of an older age, plus their is some violence, sexual content, and alcoholism but nothing too mature.
Teen, 16 years old Written byastist7 December 30, 2010

I'm sorry, but "No Kids"? Too far.

CommonSense has been doing a very poor job of estimating the age rating for "M" rated video games. The are only two moments in this game that threw it into question for an "M" rating rather than a "T". One moment is a very brief sex scene in which no sensitive areas are shown, and the other is another brief moment when a man is impaled by a tentacle, although this is nothing near as graphic as, say, Gears of War. Thrust me, this game should have been rated Teen, and CommonSense has been slapping a "No Kids" rating on every single "M" game without truly giving much thought to which age group this is suitable for. Ages 13+.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCommanderShepard December 20, 2020

BBFC Rated this a 12. I agree.

My username may suggest that I am quite a fan of this game, but as I have seen from other reviews from parents and kids alike, it is not at all necessary to rate this 18+. While PEGI may have done so, this was only because of the "sex scene", which really is not at all graphic and is meant to represent a pinnacle of two character's relationships, and can only be obtained by picking just the correct dialogue options. It is not a simple binary choice. The violence is very minimal, and swearing is so light you will probably forget it was ever even said. Also, don't let Fox news or Anita say anything about this game being sexist - you can play as a woman. Also, morality choices in dialogue let YOU shape your character, as well as the in-depth character creation menus.

Teen, 17 years old Written byTechnoXander January 23, 2020

Ok my mom loves it but there is way sex

I have never played it but i know it has a lot
of sex becayse my mom told me but it also has a
story that is not realy apropriate for kids like me

Teen, 13 years old Written byExpertgamer2005... June 13, 2019
Teen, 14 years old Written bybradyjm March 3, 2018

Fantastic RPG with great story

This game does not deserve an M rating. This game has only brief sex scenes that don't show anything explicit, aside from underwear and kissing. The violence on the tame side, as you are mostly fighting robots or aliens. Only small amounts of gore. There is the occasional swear but never anything too serious. The core element of this game is the story. You make choices for your character depending on how you want to play. Your actions have consequences. This is a fantastic game and a great experience. The sequel, is leagues better and Mass Effect 2 is literally the best game I've ever played, hands down.

Kid, 10 years old January 11, 2018

Teen, 13 years old Written byCOREZEROX4X March 9, 2017

Talk about throwbacks

It is a brilliant game, and you shouldn't be worried about the themes, as the graphics aren't the best.

Teen, 13 years old Written byTheWanderOne December 30, 2016

*One* Best Game Series ever!!!

I've played every mass effect game so far scince age 11 and i love these games, I however didn't do any romance or stuff like that (Though i flirted ALOT :P) Anyways beside it doesn't have alot of inappropriate that the main character wears (can't say the same for a few other characters...)

Kid, 10 years old May 15, 2016

PEGI 12?!?!??!

The european rating is PEGI 12. A red,circle PEGI 12. I'm sure GTA is rated 18 because of the sexually explicit material (strip clubs, stuff like that) but Mass Effect has pretty much the same thing. You are forced to go into a strip club due to the storyline but only to find a character, luckily. However Mass Effect called it a bar, which isn't an appropiate name and doesn't warn players of the content. There is even a truely perveted prostitute section and one of the main enemies is shown in a cutscene with some kind of girlfriend and her chest is almost fully exposed, though it hides the real parts barely. The violence is the only thing which suits the rating. Don't judge the truthfulness of this rating on my age, by the way...ALSO THERE IS A DRINKING SECTION...

Teen, 14 years old Written byMasterCommentator October 19, 2015

CSM has lost it's "Common Sense"

First off I'd like to say that the "18+" rating by CSM is completely uncalled for. First off I'll talk about the story. The games starts off with the character as a Human "Alliance" Marine off to search a small planet to find a beacon that could potentially hold future technology from an advanced extinct race called "The Protheans." The game does contain violence but nothing really to worry about, players will use guns to shoot enemies. There are small bits of alien blood, but it's very minimal and there's never any gore of any kind. There are choices that the player can make that can lead to more violence (Eg: killing off a crew member, or someone in a mission which will usually lead to being scolded as well as seeing a pool of blood around said dead person.) There was also a huge controversy over the "sex scenes" included in the game. However I find that the controversy was unjustified. It is possible to see sex scenes in the game, however you have to talk to the person a bunch, and at the end of the game they will engage in sex. However there's never any full nudity. And I also think it's worth noting that it's probably the closest any games have gotten to showcasing a realistic adult relationship. There also is some cursing, however the worst I've seen is "da*n.!"

Teen, 15 years old Written byKeepCalmAndGameOn July 26, 2015

Not for young ones, but great for older teens.

The Mass Effect series is one that I have played the entirety of. I've played as good, as bad, and as whatever I want, I have seen literally EVERYTHING in this series. And honestly? I'd Say Common sense media didn't even give this game a fair review. I notice that recently, they've been rating every M-rated game unfairly, based on the fact that it is rated M. And the truth is, that's not how M games are. In fact, a great many of them are BARELY scraping into the M-rated Zone. One such game is Mass Effect.
The points that CSM argue are:
-There is a single Sex scene, with nothing too graphic.
-This Scene opens the door to a same-sex relationship if you make your character a female.
-There is a LOT of Violence, but it isn't that bad.
-There is a bit of swearing

If this is grounds for an M-rated Game, then my name is Smitty Werbenmanjensen, and it's not. My Points AGAINST this are:
-The Single Sex scene is really just a clip of the backside of the female alien in question, and not the but either, just the upper back to show that she isn't wearing a shirt. The scene is a VERY brief section, completely optional, and is one of the LEAST graphic I have ever seen.
-So, I get that many parents are against same-sex partnerships, but the fact is, at the age your child will be engaging in this game, they should know that this is a thing, and not be sheltered from it.
-The violence is Pretty bad, but there is almost NO blood or gore, aside from a scene that they mentioned, where a human is impaled. And even THAT scene is not that graphic. at the age I recommended, your child should have no problem with the amount of blood in the game.
-The swearing DOES happen quite a bit. I will admit to that, and think that you should talk to your children about this.

Now, here are my recommendations for allowing your children to play this game. In reference to the sex scene. If this scene TRULY bothers you, then talk to your child about it. The scene is EASILY avoided. I suggest telling your children that they may play the game, as long as they do not engage in the romance sub-quest.
The Language, sadly, cannot be avoided. but it isn't something to prevent your children from playing it.
The Violence is NOTHING to be worried about, it isn't that bad, and the blood is almost non existant.

My Final Verdict, as a player who's seen it all, is that your children should be age 14 or older to play this game. The story is truly a work of art, and should not be missed.

Kid, 9 years old January 13, 2015

good game for kids

This game should have a t rating but there is some sex the nudity isn't bad if you have played the halo games because cortana is naked good game for kids nine and older if there mature enough

Teen, 14 years old Written byOracleRift August 4, 2014

Very good

9/10
Very fun, the decision you make are vital I highly recommend to try this out

Teen, 13 years old Written byTroy_riner July 13, 2014

They're game reviews are off

This is an ok game for teens Ive played through this game and it was fun and pretty easy accept I get lost easy Inbthe citadel and dont know what to do

Teen, 15 years old Written byMidnightNinja15 July 7, 2014

My thoughts on Mass Effect

Mass Effect stars Commander Shepard, a human member of the alliance a human military/government. He or she can be male or female and you can choose pretty much everything about their appearance. Hair, skin color, eye color ect. You can choose their background, whether they were an orphan on Earth, a kid who grew up on space stations with his family while they served for the alliance, or a colonist, whose parents were murdered by slavers, you can also choose if they are a war hero, ruthless, or sole survivor. Shepard's first name can also be chosen, although no one ever states it in game and can only be seen at the menu screen. Anyways, I digress. At the beginning of the game you serve one the SSV Normandy, the most elite starship in the entire galaxy. You serve under Captain Anderson. Shepard's mentor who acts like a second father two him/her. A turian spectre named Nihlus accompanies you on a mission as you are a canidate for the spectres. An elite group of agents that are above the law. You go to Eden Prime, a human colony, to recover a prothean beacon. An aincent mysterious race who vanished thousands of years ago. However a rogue spectre named Saren compromised the operation and destroys the beacon. After you go to the citadel, you meet with the council to prove that saren has gone rogue. The first part of the game focuses on gaining evidence against him and after that your goal is to hunt down Saren and bring him to justice. His motives for betraying the spectres are explained in the game and I will not spoil them here. As Mass Effect is an RPG, there are a ton of sidequests. There are some really good ones but most of them are bland and repetitive. In Mass Effect, you can chose Shepard's personality. If you are a paragon, you solve problems without resorting to violence. You are also very compassionate and caring towards your friends and allies. If you are a renegade, you are often very rude, violent, and unpleasant. You usually kill people in cold blood and show no remorse for doing so. As for violence, the game is nothing compare to what you see today. There is no gore whatsover and half of the enemies are robots called geth. As for language, the most harsh word I heard was bitch, and this word is only used more if you play as a female character. Bastard, hell damn, and ass are only used ocassionally, and at one point during the story a character almost says bullsh*t but another character interrupts him and only the "bull" part is heard. The most concerning part of the game is probably the sex, although it is very mild and is nowhere near the likes of GTA. One mission requires you to go to a bar were alien and human females are wearing revealing clothing and doing provocative dances. You can even sit in a chair and watch but the game does not allow you to touch the dancer and Shepard doesn't say anything to her. There is and optional romance scene in which you can woo a party member, but this doesn't happen until very late in the game. You also have to talk to the party member and get to know him/her, so it's basically like a real life relationship. The scene is very brief and lasts a little more than a minute. There is little to know nudity and the most explicit image is the butt of your partner. This relationship can also be carried over into the sequels, so it is much more than a virtual ONS. However, it is possible but optional to cheat on your partner as various crew members will show attraction to you and you can return the feeling, although you can also stay loyal and tell them you're not interested in them. The gameplay can be called sub-par, the graphics are sub-par, and the game is full of bugs, texture pop in, and frame-rate dips. However, because of it being a 7 year old game, these shortcomings are completely forgivable and most of them were fixed in the sequel. Mass Effect has a great story, underlying messages, and a potentially positive role model depending on the player. I say it's fine for anyone over the age of 13.

Teen, 15 years old Written byBaggieGamer2002 June 29, 2014

Decent shooter

Hate the creatures and the controls but mass effect is a good game apart from a man getting impaled by a spear and another man impaled by a tentacle it's appropriate. Occasional swear but good game also I personally find it annoying when the characters yap on for too long

Teen, 16 years old Written byanakin johnston January 12, 2014

mass effect

it has one very graphic sex scene which you cant avoid

Teen, 14 years old Written byTurbo taco February 15, 2013

rating system can be wrong

Bioware who made the game based it on pg 13 esbr rates most games for money for example jak 2 was rated for blood and violence so was halo so my point is go by what if written on the back not the front hope I helped
Teen, 13 years old Written byJackissocrazy September 13, 2012

If parents are reading this then listen

This game is amazing story and gameplay wise. In Britain we have two companies that review games the BBFC the better of the two that also reviews films and has a fair amount of experience in the media rating business the other is called PEGI a very harsh though sometimes fair rating system. In the UK mass effect is raised as the difference between the two because the BBFC rated it 12 while PEGI rated it 18 there is quite a difference. When i am talking about this game you will no doubt want to know about the sex in the game, it is there and is easily skipped it is no worse than a James Bond film brief and nothing inappropriate is showing. The violence comes next which i think that is worse than the sex. In the game the main enemy are Geth a race of robots so don't be worried about violence (though if you play the second and third game before this you come to see the Geth as real people) and you do kill some assassins. It is the parents choice whether to let your child play this but consider this statement in your decision.