Kid reviews for Mass Effect

Ambitious space journey with mature themes.

Teen, 16 years old Written byastist7 December 30, 2010

I'm sorry, but "No Kids"? Too far.

CommonSense has been doing a very poor job of estimating the age rating for "M" rated video games. The are only two moments in this game that threw it into question for an "M" rating rather than a "T". One moment is a very brief sex scene in which no sensitive areas are shown, and the other is another brief moment when a man is impaled by a tentacle, although this is nothing near as graphic as, say, Gears of War. Thrust me, this game should have been rated Teen, and CommonSense has been slapping a "No Kids" rating on every single "M" game without truly giving much thought to which age group this is suitable for. Ages 13+.
Teen, 14 years old Written byfclax99 August 3, 2011

Does not deserve m rating!

Mass effect is an amazing game! It doesn't deserve an m rating. The thing to be most worried about would be the violence which is pretty much on the same level as halo. There is almost no language and there isn't any sexual content in the whole game. I would give mass effect T- for violence and language. Also mass effect has an amazing story so you will not be disappointed if you buy this game.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJester™ November 20, 2011

Most Defintiely not "17+" Material!

Mass Effect is one of the best and possibly the best game i have ever played. Mass Effect does contain fighting in which you shoot enemies with guns, but nothing gory or bloody. About 80-90% of the enemies you will face are a non-organic race of robots. There are two cutscenes that are a little graphic, one where you see people being impaled on spikes (a small amount of blood is shown) and another where a man is stabbed through the chest from behind by a tentacle (blood is shown spraying out of his chest and he lies face up in a pool of blood where you can see his grievous chest wound). Languague isn't an issue with only a few occurences of s*it, d*mn etc. Overall, the sexual content is not extreme, it does show your character and whoever you chose to romance kissing etc. and lying together on a bed, clearly naked and sex is implied but it shows nothing of their activity other than kissing. The story is superb as is the universe of aliens and planets in which it is set. The Mass Effect universe is far more diverse and involved than Star Wars or Star Trek, thanks to the ingame codex which gives massive amounts of information on the galaxy's races, planets, histories and so on. The multiple choice in the game, all the different things you can say/do and how they affect the game give it heaps of replay value. Anybody who enjoys science fiction, or can appreciate a superbly well-made game, should buy Mass Effect. [Jester's Rating: 10/10] *NOTE* To Australians, Mass Effect is rated MA15+ for Sexual References, Sex Scene, and Drug References.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMasterCommentator October 19, 2015

CSM has lost it's "Common Sense"

First off I'd like to say that the "18+" rating by CSM is completely uncalled for. First off I'll talk about the story. The games starts off with the character as a Human "Alliance" Marine off to search a small planet to find a beacon that could potentially hold future technology from an advanced extinct race called "The Protheans." The game does contain violence but nothing really to worry about, players will use guns to shoot enemies. There are small bits of alien blood, but it's very minimal and there's never any gore of any kind. There are choices that the player can make that can lead to more violence (Eg: killing off a crew member, or someone in a mission which will usually lead to being scolded as well as seeing a pool of blood around said dead person.) There was also a huge controversy over the "sex scenes" included in the game. However I find that the controversy was unjustified. It is possible to see sex scenes in the game, however you have to talk to the person a bunch, and at the end of the game they will engage in sex. However there's never any full nudity. And I also think it's worth noting that it's probably the closest any games have gotten to showcasing a realistic adult relationship. There also is some cursing, however the worst I've seen is "da*n.!"

Teen, 14 years old Written byMstryke July 1, 2011

One of the best games ever

this is one of my favorite games. it has a great element of decision making and some of the deepest characters I have ever seen. it should be noted that there is a sex scene, but it does not always come up. I have one friend who beat the game and didn't even know it was there. the scene is nothing worse than what's in a PG-13 Movie though so it shouldn't be a big concern. the violence is also fairly low key.
Teen, 15 years old Written byStrider April 9, 2008

A superb game! A step forward in the direction of "Games as Art".

I would like to start off by saying this game has the best story out of ANY video game. EVER. Hands down, no holds barred, it is THE best. Humanity has just unearthed alien ruins on Mars which has in turn given them sufficient technology for Faster Than Light Travel. Upon expanding out of our solar system, we discover a massive space station dubbed "The Citadel". Inside this beast is the Citadel Council and its respective embassies. The purpose of this council (composed of Salarians, Asari, and Turians) is to make decisions that will best advance the state of Citadel Space, with each of the species lower on the political food chain using their embassies to try and advance the state of their systems as well. With the Council being watched so closely and having tense political associations with species in the Verge (an area where species who refuse to acknowledge the Council's authority reside) it cannot always take action on the record. Thus they have a shadow ops group know as the Specters that do their dirty work. As it turns out, one of them has gone rouge and is attempting to wipe out humanity. He sees them as developing to fast, and becoming the Council's pet; a view shared by many species. Unfortunately, hos treachery is not just to us but to the entire galaxy... I'll leave it at that so not to spoil anything. Naturally it is your job to stop him when you become the first human Specter. That means that you operate outside the law, which is why I marked the social behavior area. There are times when you have to make hard decisions. Do you shoot a slave trader in the head? Allow and entire species to die out? It can be very difficult at times which is a testament to the developers- you actually care about the characters and the people you encounter. On a separate note, the graphics are amazing and the tactical, squad based combat is intense, but nothing overtly violent or bloody. The voice acting is also top notch and the ability to travel the galaxy in you ship is great as well. But for some of you there may be a large turnoff. The dreaded sex scene. While not horribly raunchy, you do see a side shot of your character creeping up seductively to another person in bed and sex is implied. Your character also says something along the lines of "I need more of that" after it is done. Fortunately you are buzzed over the com by your pilot. Fortunately, this scene is entirely avoidable if you so wish. Lastly, there is some minor language but nothing to write home about. A b---h here or d--n there. Nothing bad. All in all this is the best game to be released this year and a MUST buy.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTroy_riner July 13, 2014

They're game reviews are off

This is an ok game for teens Ive played through this game and it was fun and pretty easy accept I get lost easy Inbthe citadel and dont know what to do

Teen, 16 years old Written byanakin johnston January 12, 2014

mass effect

it has one very graphic sex scene which you cant avoid

Kid, 11 years old February 16, 2012

This is MASS-ive dissapointment

This is an OK game it is very confusing and to be honest I never play it because you never know where to go so if you ask me don't bother getting this game.

Teen, 13 years old Written byiwillkicka$$ October 6, 2011

Masterpiece

No Kids? That's a little extreme. C'mon commonsense, put it down to atleast 14 and up. Oh and BTW this game and the second one are masterpieces. The love scenes are really nothing much.

Teen, 13 years old Written byJackissocrazy September 13, 2012

If parents are reading this then listen

This game is amazing story and gameplay wise. In Britain we have two companies that review games the BBFC the better of the two that also reviews films and has a fair amount of experience in the media rating business the other is called PEGI a very harsh though sometimes fair rating system. In the UK mass effect is raised as the difference between the two because the BBFC rated it 12 while PEGI rated it 18 there is quite a difference. When i am talking about this game you will no doubt want to know about the sex in the game, it is there and is easily skipped it is no worse than a James Bond film brief and nothing inappropriate is showing. The violence comes next which i think that is worse than the sex. In the game the main enemy are Geth a race of robots so don't be worried about violence (though if you play the second and third game before this you come to see the Geth as real people) and you do kill some assassins. It is the parents choice whether to let your child play this but consider this statement in your decision.

Teen, 14 years old Written bytryjonathantrey13 March 6, 2012

No One Under 17 Can See Violence

Not Mush Gory But Theres Lots Of Shooting 50% say there are violence

Teen, 14 years old Written byOracleRift August 4, 2014

Very good

9/10 Very fun, the decision you make are vital I highly recommend to try this out

Kid, 10 years old January 11, 2018

Teen, 13 years old Written byCOREZEROX4X March 9, 2017

Talk about throwbacks

It is a brilliant game, and you shouldn't be worried about the themes, as the graphics aren't the best.

Ease of Play
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheWanderOne December 30, 2016

*One* Best Game Series ever!!!

I've played every mass effect game so far scince age 11 and i love these games, I however didn't do any romance or stuff like that (Though i flirted ALOT :P) Anyways beside it doesn't have alot of inappropriate that the main character wears (can't say the same for a few other characters...)

Ease of Play
Kid, 10 years old May 15, 2016

PEGI 12?!?!??!

The european rating is PEGI 12. A red,circle PEGI 12. I'm sure GTA is rated 18 because of the sexually explicit material (strip clubs, stuff like that) but Mass Effect has pretty much the same thing. You are forced to go into a strip club due to the storyline but only to find a character, luckily. However Mass Effect called it a bar, which isn't an appropiate name and doesn't warn players of the content. There is even a truely perveted prostitute section and one of the main enemies is shown in a cutscene with some kind of girlfriend and her chest is almost fully exposed, though it hides the real parts barely. The violence is the only thing which suits the rating. Don't judge the truthfulness of this rating on my age, by the way...ALSO THERE IS A DRINKING SECTION...

Teen, 14 years old Written byPurechaosman June 15, 2011

No kids. WTF are you thinking, commonsense?

As an experienced gamer, I've seen a lot of rated M games. Assassin's creed 2 and brotherhood have worse sex scenes than in this game. Now, would I get this as a first time M game? Maybe. A soldier (dead) is impaled on a spear in the first five minutes. However, the main enemies in the game are robots, and as such, no blood. However, sometimes you have to fight creatures, and there is a bit of blood, if you can call it that. I'd get this game for my 10 year old child, if he was mature.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybradyjm March 3, 2018

Fantastic RPG with great story

This game does not deserve an M rating. This game has only brief sex scenes that don't show anything explicit, aside from underwear and kissing. The violence on the tame side, as you are mostly fighting robots or aliens. Only small amounts of gore. There is the occasional swear but never anything too serious. The core element of this game is the story. You make choices for your character depending on how you want to play. Your actions have consequences. This is a fantastic game and a great experience. The sequel, is leagues better and Mass Effect 2 is literally the best game I've ever played, hands down.

Teen, 15 years old Written byDragonKing April 24, 2016

Complexity

I feel the complexity of it all would be better grasped by someone of an older age, plus their is some violence, sexual content, and alcoholism but nothing too mature.