Parent reviews for Nintendogs

A fabulous virtual puppy simulation.

Adult Written byT J September 25, 2018

Somehow better than it should be.

I got my first DS Lite for Christmas when I was 7 and Nintendogs is one of the games i got with it. I would never have chosen this game. I don’t like dogs and from what I could tell, this game looked boring. But since I didn’t really have any other DS games at the time I ended up playing this game and I was very surprised that I actually enjoyed it. In fact, I still occasionally play this game nowadays, more than 10 years since I first got it!

There’s not much to this game, you just take care of virtual dogs: feed them, walk them, train them, play with them, groom them, bathe them etc. and somehow it’s not as boring as it sounds. My favorite part of the game is the competitions. I’m a champion at the disc competition! Unfortunately you can’t enter competitions whenever you want and are limited to only 3 competitions a day. I’m very impressed with how well the DS mic works with this game, for example, you can call your dogs names/commands out loud into your DS and your dogs will hear you and obey (if you’ve trained them to obey, of course!) there’s also a bubble toy and in order to blow bubbles with it you have to literally blow into the DS mic and it works pretty realistically. I don’t know of many other DS Lite games that require use of the mic, especially this much, but I’m really impressed with how well it actually works, especially considering the fact that the first DS model came out in 2004. (The DS Lite came out in 2006, but Nintendogs came out in 2005 so it can work with both versions.)

Overall this game isn’t one of the best DS games, but it’s not one of the worst either. If you like dogs then playing this game is a no brainer for you. But even if you’re like me and you don’t like dogs, you still might find something charming about it. This game could also be used to teach kids the responsibilities of caring for a pet. 5+

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byLucy C. October 30, 2017

FUN and FUZZY

Very nice to play with a friend, or to releve stress!

Parent of a 7-year-old Written byjcarvin April 9, 2013

Great for Kids!

I bought the Chihuahua version for my 7 year-old on her birthday and she had no trouble figuring it out. There are a whole bunch of these games now with all different breeds, definitely more than just three as the initial review says. A little help reading the text and helping her get started, especially with training, but I only needed to show her once. It's a very cute game, she was laughing hysterically at times when puppy was playing. That's always a good sign. She hasn't had it for long, so I can't speak to the longevity of the gameplay yet.

Parent of a 17-year-old Written byokemo1 April 23, 2011

Perfect for younger kids, ages 6-10.

I LOVE IT!!! This game is great for dog lovers :).

Educational Value
Parent of a 5, 8, 12, 14, 16, and 17-year-old Written byMissBridgette July 3, 2010

Recommended for EVERYONE, makes a great gift

Love this game. Can't say I've never "borrowed" my 8 year olds Nintendo DS and played it myself. It's super fun. It actually prepares you for taking care of a puppy. Great game. There are no safety problems, it's fun, yet safe. Kids can't complain, they love it. Parents can't complain because they love watching their children be safe, and play it. It's incredible. Also makes a great gift, I've bought it both for my 5 year old, for her 5th birthday, but also my 7 year old niece for Christmas.

Parent of a 6 and 8-year-old Written bytwobabieslater December 6, 2009

Parent of a 17-year-old Written bylove2 October 8, 2009

a great educational game

this game is really fun and educational because it teaches little kids all the basice of taking care of a puppy. boys probably wont like but all girls 6 and up will!

Parent of a 4 and 7-year-old Written byfieromama March 25, 2009

Best way to own a pet!!

Living in a house with 2 cats and a large dog I have to say this is the best pet of the bunch. No actual poo to scoop or food bags laying around. My kids love this game.
Adult Written byashcatash5 February 7, 2009

Excellent Puppy Sim

This is the best dog sim I have seen, period. The graphics are great and it's fun to collect items for your puppies.
The only problems I have with the game are:
1) The voice-recognition feature is pretty poor. Sometimes the dogs won't understand your commands.
2) The puppies never grow up. Older dogs are fun too, but we never get to see them. It would be much more fun to watch the puppies turn into mature dogs after a while.
Adult Written bykalim007 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byyami0204 April 9, 2008

Cute!

I picked this game up and thought "this can't be anything like caring for a real dog." I was right, but it's better than a real dog since all messes made are virtual! This is a really adorable game and had me falling in love with the little puppy on the screen. Very innovative and well done.
Adult Written bysandywabbit April 9, 2008

GREAT GREAT CUTE GAME

It rox but i admit it does get boring
Parent of a 11-year-old Written byssourgirl April 9, 2008

Cute

My daughter loves this game. She's adopted 4 puppies and cares for them and plays with them. You can train them to do tricks and earn points. You can take them on a walk where you get to choose the route and sometimes the puppy finds presents and brings them to you. When you earn points you can buy things for your dogs, upgrade your house and buy more puppies. I've even picked up this game several times and played it. I really enjoy it myself and I'm not much of a gamer.
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008
Adult Written bydvmedevsky April 9, 2008

"LOTS OF FUN"

Nintendogs is my 9 year old grandaughter's favorite game. She thinks it really helps people to learn how to take good care of their puppies and dogs. She is also learning about the responsibilty and expense involved with having an animal. She plays it alot.
Adult Written byfigueroa April 9, 2008