Parent reviews for Okami (Wii)

A revival of a great teen paint-to-play adventure.

Adult Written byJosh J. January 18, 2018

Japan Education

It requires reasonable skill and dexterity to complete the game. Puzzles are standard. Ease of play = medium gaming ability.
Violence in animated combat which would be standard for cartoons targeted at children aged 8 and up. Nothing particularly violent.
There are some references to drinking and drug use within the context of the story and the Japanese culture of the narrative. There is part of the game that requires the user to force an enemy to drink sake to defeat it in battle. Again, this is based on the legend the narrative is based on. Overall the drug/alcohol consumption is on par with the types of scenes from older animated movies (Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio).
There are sexualised characters with large busts' in the story but no nudity.
The game can be used as a resource to discuss the legends of Japan through the narrative. There are references to environmental preservation, including animals. There are lots of options to discuss art through symbolism and metaphor.
Overall, the game has minimal content that would be considered negative and could provide a platform for discussion into areas of sex, drugs and violence with tweens. The positive messages and educational value outweighs the negatives by far.
As a teacher I would see this as a resource for a whole class discussion for mature year 4 students and up. It could be an independent exploration for students in year 6 and up.
Adult Written byPvt. Sokolva January 5, 2011

Beautiful game, the illustrations look like Japanese brushwork

This is probably the only game that was made for the Wii that I ever enjoyed. I would get the PS3 version now that I have one, but I don't know, in this case, which one I'd recommend. I think it would depend on the person--namely, for the Wii, much of the gameplay is drawing artistic shapes on the screen as your attacks, such as cutting enemies in half, and this was very awkward and difficult for me as both a hater of Wii motes and gross motor skills. However, many people find this experience very satisfying and fun, and are willing to put up with the Wii's far inferior graphic quality for it. So...I guess it depends on whether your willing to sacrifice quality for a controller that lets you imagine you are actually painting. Just be sure to keep in mind the shortcomings of the Wii mote, and the way the sensor tends to act of, ignore, or completely misinterpret your motions.

But on to the game. This game is incredibly. I haven't finished it yet; college applications tend to suck the time out of the day; but its a great game. The adventure is superb, it has touches of maturity but nothing strong enough to turn parents off, and the violence is really cartoon violence with painted creatures and other such things. There's hardly any blood, but the animation is gorgeous and artful.

Adult Written byKitsune87 December 20, 2009
A great game. A definite must own.
Adult Written byamorganmathis December 4, 2009