Amazing, Worth the Time and Money.
This game is by far my favorite game of all time. There's simply no other way to put it.
I should really start off with the storyline – you play the game as the reincarnation of Shiranui: Okami Amaterasu. You're a sun god/goddess (the game doesn't depict what gender you are, I believe, but in the sequel, Okamiden, Amaterasu is Chibiterasu's MOTHER) and you don't have all 13 brush techniques : techniques that are used for various things, some used in battle and some used to help you on your quest or helping others. Prepare for a long, beautiful, engrossing adventure with deep scenes, epic fights, awesome characters, and overall a good time.
The characters – Let me tell you this, the characters are AMAZING. Each and every one from the main characters to the side characters that you might just ignore are developed in a way that they each have their own personality.
• Amaterasu; the goddess you play as. You don't speak, but your face pretty much says it all. Nicknamed "Ammy", since Issun finds your name too long, Ammy is pretty much the natural lapdog, with the somewhat awkward disposition and funny faces and cocky movements, but she can be a real bad-butt when she needs to. xD // Pro-tip: when completing the game and you wanna replay it, you should really play in the game file you saved in whence beating the game! Issun gave you "gifts" like the karmic transformers that change Ammy's look and sound of bark. (You get more every time you beat the game, there is a limit, though.)
• Issun; the little sprite, a poncle, who joins you on your journey. Issun Boshi, "the wandering artist", and so on, is from an old Japanese legend, but I'm not dwelling into that. You'll find that most of the game is based on Japanese legends, which I personally find cool. *Parental Warning: Issun is what you might call a "pervert". It doesn't get too extreme, but when you first meet him, he had been sitting in Sakuya's cleavage. Don't worry though, it doesn't get any worse, though there IS a scene with Rao (a character you'll meet later in the game) who has big breasts which bounce (a lot) and he falls on the ground with floaty hearts. Lil perv. But that's no reason to not buy the game, I mean, a lot of guys can get that way, right? They ARE guys and it IS just a game. From Japan. Sum it up. But all in all, an adorable character <3
• Sasuno; from the Japanese legend of Orochi and Shiranui, Sasuno is the "descendant of Nagi" (so he proclaims) and believes himself to be THE BEST. He's really not, more of a coward and a wuss. He's also a drunkard and does like sake, but it's probably not JUST the sake… (the local sake brewer Kushi, wink wink) But anyway, he plays an important role anyway.
• Waka; a French prophet who follows you often and rarely gives you any prophecies at all, but when he does they're a bit lame. He has a veil that allows him to fly but also covers his even longer hair which you can't see under the veil which confuses me a bit but… Waka physics? He's a real important character, so like him or not you're gonna have to bear with him. Did I mention he can be a real pain in the old baguette?
• Orochi; the eight-headed snake demon boss that pretty much is the base of the game, because he's THAT big of a deal. (FYI he's NOT the final boss, and it won't be the last time you see him, trust me) Better start loving him because you're gonna have to fight him THREE TIMES. Oh yes, 24 heads total = fun!
• THERE ARE A TON MORE CHARACTERS THAT I'D LOVE TO SPOIL FOR Y'ALL BUT CLEARLY I WON'T.
The music – Let me just stop here: the music is to DIE for. Gorgeous soundtrack that'll make you want to buy the album - if there was one.
Lastly, the game is amazing, and I'd really suggest it to you, your kid, your dog, your friend, and yes that stranger you bumped into in the supermarket, 'cause chances are they might wanna play it too. Trust me, whatever the age (12+, though) you'll enjoy it. // Solve puzzles that are fairly simple, but things like ball rolling mechanics aren't the best. It can be annoying to roll the ball and you have to be slow and patient.
Dojo: get "Yellow Rage" (probably NOT the right title of move, but look for a similar title and learn it) this gets you demon fangs by peeing on demons. Useful because demon fangs are worth more than you think.
Play the game over!: this game (not only is it THAT good you'll wanna play it again and again) has a bunch of Easter eggs. Finish the game a few times and Issun will not only give you a lot of money, but "karmic transformers" as well. They change Ammy's look and bark sound. You also get to keep a few weapons (EXCEPT a few from the 5th tier of the game)
Stray Beads: another batch of Easter eggs. Collect ALL of them and get a reward. I haven't collected them all yet (I don't really take to that, but a friend suggested I did, so I'm working on it!) but I heard the reward is good, so I'm hoping for it!
Now, whatcha waiting for? Play it, man!
This title contains:
Positive role models
Ease of Play