Kid reviews for Okami (Wii)

A revival of a great teen paint-to-play adventure.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySweetDisposition January 2, 2011

The best game you never played.

This game has finally found its true home on the Wii. Yes, characters drink sake, smoke, and swear, but a 12 year old can handle it. The story and graphics are deeply rooted in Japanese culture- and it's truly amazing. This game has my favorite graphics on the Wii/PS2, they a just gorgeous. Controls work smoothly for the most part, however the Celestial brush was finicky at times, and the nunchuck motion controls do not work. The ball pushing physics are bad, but a patient player can deal with it. The characters are funny and enjoyable, and you'll never know whether you'll get a deep part of the game or a funny part. I enjoy this game very much, and you should pick it up for your 12+ year old now- they'll like it!

~UPDATE 7/14/11~
I just completed the game and... wow! This is my new favorite game. The story at the end was just utterly amazing. The final battle and ending made me cry. I'll reiterate; this game is amazing and is a MUST buy.
Teen, 17 years old Written by_____________ September 12, 2015
Teen, 13 years old Written byKamui December 11, 2014

Amazing, Worth the Time and Money.

This game is by far my favorite game of all time. There's simply no other way to put it.
I should really start off with the storyline – you play the game as the reincarnation of Shiranui: Okami Amaterasu. You're a sun god/goddess (the game doesn't depict what gender you are, I believe, but in the sequel, Okamiden, Amaterasu is Chibiterasu's MOTHER) and you don't have all 13 brush techniques : techniques that are used for various things, some used in battle and some used to help you on your quest or helping others. Prepare for a long, beautiful, engrossing adventure with deep scenes, epic fights, awesome characters, and overall a good time.
The characters – Let me tell you this, the characters are AMAZING. Each and every one from the main characters to the side characters that you might just ignore are developed in a way that they each have their own personality.
• Amaterasu; the goddess you play as. You don't speak, but your face pretty much says it all. Nicknamed "Ammy", since Issun finds your name too long, Ammy is pretty much the natural lapdog, with the somewhat awkward disposition and funny faces and cocky movements, but she can be a real bad-butt when she needs to. xD // Pro-tip: when completing the game and you wanna replay it, you should really play in the game file you saved in whence beating the game! Issun gave you "gifts" like the karmic transformers that change Ammy's look and sound of bark. (You get more every time you beat the game, there is a limit, though.)
• Issun; the little sprite, a poncle, who joins you on your journey. Issun Boshi, "the wandering artist", and so on, is from an old Japanese legend, but I'm not dwelling into that. You'll find that most of the game is based on Japanese legends, which I personally find cool. *Parental Warning: Issun is what you might call a "pervert". It doesn't get too extreme, but when you first meet him, he had been sitting in Sakuya's cleavage. Don't worry though, it doesn't get any worse, though there IS a scene with Rao (a character you'll meet later in the game) who has big breasts which bounce (a lot) and he falls on the ground with floaty hearts. Lil perv. But that's no reason to not buy the game, I mean, a lot of guys can get that way, right? They ARE guys and it IS just a game. From Japan. Sum it up. But all in all, an adorable character <3
• Sasuno; from the Japanese legend of Orochi and Shiranui, Sasuno is the "descendant of Nagi" (so he proclaims) and believes himself to be THE BEST. He's really not, more of a coward and a wuss. He's also a drunkard and does like sake, but it's probably not JUST the sake… (the local sake brewer Kushi, wink wink) But anyway, he plays an important role anyway.
• Waka; a French prophet who follows you often and rarely gives you any prophecies at all, but when he does they're a bit lame. He has a veil that allows him to fly but also covers his even longer hair which you can't see under the veil which confuses me a bit but… Waka physics? He's a real important character, so like him or not you're gonna have to bear with him. Did I mention he can be a real pain in the old baguette?
• Orochi; the eight-headed snake demon boss that pretty much is the base of the game, because he's THAT big of a deal. (FYI he's NOT the final boss, and it won't be the last time you see him, trust me) Better start loving him because you're gonna have to fight him THREE TIMES. Oh yes, 24 heads total = fun!
• THERE ARE A TON MORE CHARACTERS THAT I'D LOVE TO SPOIL FOR Y'ALL BUT CLEARLY I WON'T.
The music – Let me just stop here: the music is to DIE for. Gorgeous soundtrack that'll make you want to buy the album - if there was one.

Lastly, the game is amazing, and I'd really suggest it to you, your kid, your dog, your friend, and yes that stranger you bumped into in the supermarket, 'cause chances are they might wanna play it too. Trust me, whatever the age (12+, though) you'll enjoy it. // Solve puzzles that are fairly simple, but things like ball rolling mechanics aren't the best. It can be annoying to roll the ball and you have to be slow and patient.
Tips:
Dojo: get "Yellow Rage" (probably NOT the right title of move, but look for a similar title and learn it) this gets you demon fangs by peeing on demons. Useful because demon fangs are worth more than you think.
Play the game over!: this game (not only is it THAT good you'll wanna play it again and again) has a bunch of Easter eggs. Finish the game a few times and Issun will not only give you a lot of money, but "karmic transformers" as well. They change Ammy's look and bark sound. You also get to keep a few weapons (EXCEPT a few from the 5th tier of the game)
Stray Beads: another batch of Easter eggs. Collect ALL of them and get a reward. I haven't collected them all yet (I don't really take to that, but a friend suggested I did, so I'm working on it!) but I heard the reward is good, so I'm hoping for it!

Now, whatcha waiting for? Play it, man!

Ease of Play
Teen, 14 years old Written byreds1999 September 27, 2014

It's great.

Okami is a pretty good game.
Kid, 12 years old May 27, 2014

Amazing game, makes me cry every time.

Okami is a beautiful game that is tied in with Japanese culture and mythology. It comes with emotion, action, and comedy. It is set up almost like a movie, and is EASILY the best video game I have ever played. You play as the Japanese goddess, Amaterasu, who is played as a wolf. 100 years prior to the setting of the game, Amaterasu died, and was reborn as a wolf goddess to defeat evil that is spreading over the land. Throughout the game you gain powers and abilities, and in the end you fight off the god of all villians with these powers.
Marked for violence because some of the monsters are somewhat creepy, and in the beginning of the gameplay an eerie sound of overlapping voices is often heard.
Marked for sex b

Ease of Play
Kid, 12 years old July 26, 2013

Artistic and unique game

Okami is a game that can never fall from first place in my rankings of video games. After living in Japan for some time and craving to see more after moving back, I found myself adoring this game. Heck, I may even be obsessed- over the course of three or four years, I have played through this game 15 times. (Call me a nerd all you want. :P) Okami has stunning graphics that seem like they jumped right off of a scroll, though they may glitch every once in a while. The combat on minions is slightly repetitive,  but there are 15 separate weapons you switch around to spice it up a bit. Bosses are easy to understand, yet never feel old. One of the absolute best traits of this entire game is the soundtrack- it has traditional Japanese instruments in it to create a wordless, yet powerful, atmosphere for an already amazing game.

So, who do you play as and where are you? You're Amaterasu (pronounced Ah-mah-tel-ahs), a sun goddess of Japanese religion, having taken on the form of a white wolf with crimson markings that only believers can see. You have a weapon on your back called a Divine Instrument- there are 15 different weapons from 3 branches. You can summon a whopping 13 godly powers with your Celestial Brush - which is, in fact, your tail - starting with making the sun come out and drawing dots in the sky to make stars appear. You're in the demon-infested Nippon, which is basically ancient Japan, so dont start running around looking for TVs and refrigerators.

Moving on to the less likable traits for people my age, Okami has you running around as a wolf.. with a flea - I mean, inch-tall wandering artist - on your head named Issun. He's not that obnoxious, but he will flirt with every beautiful woman in the game, one of which has a large... chest. This leads to a few cringe-worthy scenes that you may want to skip after your first play through. (There are no true references to anything too inappropriate besides a few innuendos by that "bug", which come along only a few times in the game.) There are several references to sake, a type of Japanese rice wine, but the only instances of drunken people are them being motivated for sword-training or doing a silly dance that helps a huge tree bloom.

A side note: Okami's difficulty actually isn't that hard once you get the hang of things, but there are many, many collectibles (things that change your appearance and a collection of hidden/hard-to-obtain beads that give you an amazingly game-breaking prize at the end) to add replay value to the game... and let me tell you, it can be HARD. I won't try to spoil everything for you, though..

Finally, there is some violence in Okami. There are a couple of scrolls (shown during cutscenes with excellent attention to accuracy) that depict bloodied characters on their way to the afterlife or blood-streaked demons, but usually there isn't anything too gory.

Overall, I highly recommend Okami to those that enjoy art, creativity and puzzles, and want to get out of their usual video gaming routine. If you like to complete everything 100%, be prepared to play the game at least two times.

Kid, 12 years old April 2, 2013

THE best game. EVER.

This game is a pure masterpiece, with beautiful graphics, powerful story, memorable and lovable characters, shocking plot twists, and much, much more. The story revolves around the god of sunlight, Okami Amaterasu (known as Ammy to some) to take on an evil freed after 100 years trapped in a stone tomb. There is little blood, except when shown in the (beautiful) hand-drawn cutscene pictures. Players will encounter plenty of innuendoes, such as busty women and revealing clothes, including a smart-mouthed, comical relief of a pint-sized partner named Issun who flirts lightly with girls, making funny yet crude references such as "stacked to the ceiling," "spending time in her kimono," "path to you-know-where," and more. There are many other characters you will come to love, from the cocky yet heroic Susano, the playful and mysterious pretty-boy Waka, the-stubborn half-man, half-beast-warrior-with-an-attitude Oki, and many more. What's more, almost all the events, characters, and places are based off some sort of theme in Japanese mythology and folklore, which should appeal right away to anyone that has a knack for mythology. Players may be surprised with the sudden twist to the storyline near the final boss and near the end, which to me felt like a slap in the face. Never had I experienced a game with such moving moments, compassion, or shocks. The moments between the final battle and the end are enough to make a grown man cry, with me being no exception (no other game has made me cry before). I was so shocked, and I guarantee that you will be too. This game has moving moments similar to those in a sad movie such as Les Miserables, only with (much) less drama. I would suggest this game to anyone looking for a change of pace with beautiful moments and art style, humor, a deep story, or something that just screams "Zelda" at every turn. Okami is a true gem that finds a way above those stupidly violent FPS games and will always earn a special spot in your heart. A true work of art, as well as a must-have. Okami is a masterpiece. A beautiful, humorous, touching, heart-wrenching, magical masterpiece.

Kid, 10 years old November 28, 2012

Video Game? More Like A Work of Art!

Okami for the Wii is an AMAZING game. There's no other way to put it. I have recently started playing the game and it has absolutely STUNNING graphics and a STUNNING soundtrack. It has minor violence, some maybe revealing outfits and some drinking. Also, the controls are also a little hard to grasp at first. Still, this is a great game in the end and DEFINITELY worth your money.

Kid, 11 years old November 24, 2012

Okami

A really fun game for Wii. It is kind of like a Epic Mickey for older kids. You can use your celestial brush for good and restoring life and the land around you, but you can kill and destroy with it too. Some language like hell.Characters drink sake. A elder smokes a pipe

Teen, 13 years old Written byHumbleScientist April 13, 2012

One of my favorite games in the whole wide world of gaming

I first played it on the PS2 around the time it was released in the US. Even though the controls weren't as good as on the Wii, I still found the game very enjoyable. I loved being able to roam free across the land, going at an incredible speed and being able to control and modify many of my surroundings. It's an all for one bundle; it's got a heap of joy, peace, comedy, mystery, fun, impact, and action. The characters are lovable and each one of them is unique and cast a different vibe. When something new happens in the game, most NPCs have their dialogue updated so they don't seem like they're completely unaware and repeat the same thing over and over like most other games. There are a lot of different things you can do and explore in the game. You can blow up, burn, freeze, electrocute, cut, and put water on many things and NPCs. You can also do things like bloom trees, make the sun or moon rise, or rejuvenate broken things. You can feed animals, do tasks for certain people, go exploring for treasure, go fishing, race with mailmen, etc. There are also unlockables, and if you get the PS2 version there's a credits screen. In the game, there isn't much blood. When there is blood, it hardly looks like blood unless you look at the monster illustrations in the menu which are a lot scarier looking than the 3D models. Anyway, it's a really unique and fun game and everyone with a Wii or PS2 should get it.

Kid, 12 years old May 6, 2011

Amazing All Around

This is a fantastic game, delving kids into a solid world called Nippon, based directly off of Japanese Mythology. Almost every character has some root in the mythology of Japan, and kids can learn quite a bit about a very interesting country. The gameplay is easy to learn but hard to master, and you'll have hours of fun trying to pull of combos and moves. The characters (Except for the villains, that is) all mean well, but like any normal person have their faults, making them great characters with quite a bit of depth. The dialogue is entertaining and will bring quite a few laughs, particularly that of your one-inch sidekick, the Wandering Artist Issun. The main character herself, Amaterasu, is a sun god taking the form of a white wolf, with the power to alter the world around her using a magical brush, the Celestial Brush. The brush is legitimately useful, and you'll find yourself hanging on the edge of your seats for the next powerful ability - some are as simple as blooming flowers and making a waterspout, others can change day into night and create infernos. The puzzles can be challenging, but not unreasonably so, and the game's few faults (such as the sometimes infuriating ball-pushing physics and digging mini-games) are far outweighed by the great points: The art style is beautiful, influenced by Japanese woodblock prints and paintings, the music is well-orchestrated and always fits the mood, and the characters are so entertaining, it would be a pity to miss it.

Teen, 15 years old Written byDarKisuneOkami April 26, 2011

PERFECT GAME with very,very minor setbacks

This is perhaps the only good game that has a plot of sorts. It is lined with Japanese mythology, such as Susano-O and Amaterasu. Sure you got violence like cutting the imps in half for their floral finisher, but I have never really seen blood, except in the cutscenes. Either way, the monsters burst into flowers when they die. That gives out the message that you can use your powers for good or evil...but it radiates to do more good than evil. As for the pervert of Issun? It is not that big. Any guy I know would do the same thing with Rao, a large chested priestess. He is a a human male. Nothing wrong with that. Although Sakuya's dresses are a bit too perverted. But it has funny flitacoius scene when Issun meets the Queen and he falls off Ammy's head with little hearts.
This game can encourage kids to learn about different people and their beliefs and a different culture's mythology, not just Greek or Roman. Plus, you have French talking Waka, whcih will encourage kids to learn French.
The sake, It is a small part in the game, beside Orochi and power-ups. I myself did not know what sake was until I looked it up, so that would just fly over kid's heads like a airplane.

Overall, it is my #1 game I have ever played and if you don't have it..GET IT! Totally worth the money.

Teen, 13 years old Written bysouthshuter April 7, 2011
Fantastic game!
Violence: You fight and kill enemies who you can kill in several different ways.
Sexual: One character, Issun, seems to be a bit of a player. A few female characters wear some revealing outfits.
Drinking: Some characters smoke pipes and sake is used a lot.

Kid, 10 years old February 2, 2011

cool game very interesting

First of all this game is like a zelda game like it has fun battles and puzzles. The good thing of this game is its eco friendly, the game is about like making the land tottally foresty. Anyway a great wii game. If your not sure just look it up

Teen, 16 years old Written bySynchronicity May 31, 2010

Intoxicating and brilliant game that must be played

Clover Studio's swan song has been revived by Capcom for a "Wii-make", and while most of these go from mediocre (Rygar: The Battle of Argus) to atrocious (Mad Dog McCree? OH GOOD GOD), Okami is even more brilliant than it was on the Playstation 2. Plus, at $20-30 at most places, it's quite cheap, so you're getting more for your money. Anyways, enough about that. Okami is a tale that's infused to the brim with Japanese mythology. You play as Amaterasu, the sun goddess, who uses a calligraphy brush called the Celestial Brush in order to revive plants, repair bridges, and defeat enemies. Now, this does seem rather mundane, but it clearly isn't. There's also much comic relief in the character of Issun, the "one-inch man", who is basically your guide (like Navi to Link in Zelda: Ocarina of Time, only much less annoying). The graphics are based on sumi-e paintings, such as Hokusai's famous Thirty-Six Views of Mount Fuji, and the overall effect is breathtaking. In terms of content, Okami's about as bad as your average shonen anime (but is much better, in my opinion). As can be expected, there's lots of hacking and slashing with the Celestial Brush, and while you can draw a line across a specific part of the body, basically dismembering it, the sumi-e art style lessens the impact quite a bit, even though there's some blood flowing. It's not like Dead Space or the Fallout games, where you can aim at a specific part of the body and graphically dismember it. Issun does provide the comic relief, but he uses some mildly foul language (though not enough to warn people about, such as "d*mn" and "h*ll") and he makes quite a few perverted remarks. Sakuya and Rao are two characters that have impressive (in the negative sense) amounts of cleavage. Finally, there's Orochi. He's a hard boss specifically because you have to make him drink a specific type of sake (Japanese rice wine, for the very few people who don't know). There are some other isolated instances of drinking and smoking pipes, but nothing too serious. Overall, Capcom and Ready At Dawn have brilliantly taken the genre-bending PS2 game/reason that video games are art and placed it on the Wii, basically unchanged. If you've never played this game before and have both a PS2 and a Wii, get this version, because it's so much more awesome to use the Celestial Brush with the Wii remote. Likewise, any fans of the original PS2 version should get the Wii version. And if you own a Wii and haven't played Okami before, what's wrong with you? Get this classic now! You absolutely won't regret it!

Kid, 10 years old February 25, 2010
okay

Teen, 13 years old Written byPiggachew February 13, 2010

The Story Background

I think this is an educational game for the purpose that it is actually based of of old shinto and edo-period stories (i.e. Story of Susano-O, the Great Warrior Issun Boshi, and The Great Tale of Amaterasu). It also goes in-depth of how you should respect nature, because if you attack the big sleeping bear, Issun would reprimand you. Also, you have to revive the land to the lush and verdant place it once was.

I will not lie, though, about Princess Sakuya's "Revival of Sakuya" attire--it is far to revealing around the bosom and legs/backside. I will also stress this with Rao (in ancient lore known as Tsuzurao) and her impossibly large breats and revealing cleavage, not to mention all of this being the looks of a priestess, no less. Cursing was not as large of a dilema most would think, but Issun's behavior towards beautiful women is quite a problem. He uses far to many inuedos and is a rather flippant pervert--not excessively, but enough to grate on my nerves personally.

This game on its own, though, is an absolute masterpiece with their story line, characters, and the creative use of ancient stories into something new and refreshing. It truly makes me emotional when I think that this beautiful, artistic, magestic, and absolutely amazing game was the final work of Project Clover. Capcom has done it, yet again!

Kid, 10 years old January 18, 2010

Awesome For Wii

A great game! Awesome for the Wii!

Kid, 11 years old January 7, 2010

good for ages 5-12

This game is a little weird but great! The drinking sake a young child wont even understand!

Teen, 17 years old Written byZombiexFood December 28, 2009

Perfect game for the Wii

This game is perfect for the Wii. Every Wii-owner should have this game in thei collection, it is truely a masterpiece. That being said, some things in this game are mature in content. For example, one of the main bosses (the evil Orochi) must be defeated by getting him drunk first. Also, a sprite named Issun is very flirtatious around the female characters. However, everything is done in moderation and nothing is worse than a mere PG-13 flick.